With OBs, what happens if you wind the volume up loud.

Bumpy

Yesterday evening I wound the volume up on my system until it was just OK to stay in the room and was surprised at how 'bad' it sounded. From being perfect at normal listening levels (low to medium volume) it seemed to become shouty, congested and perhaps even distorted.
I would like to debate what is happening and in particular is it the speakers or the room?

dB Cooper

Re: With OBs, what happens if you wind the volume up loud.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2020, 11:08 am »
Could be the amp too. More info would help. We don't know what the size of your room is, the sensitivity of your speakers, amp power etc.

Bumpy

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2020, 11:43 am »
OK. My amp is Type 45 triode 1.8 wpc. My midrange drivers (which is where I believe the bulk of the 'distortion' problem to sits) are SEAS Exotic W8 alnicos with  a sensitivity of  94dB. Even at intolerable sound levels the drivers are barely moving to the eye.

My room had been debated in other threads. It is approx 18ft by 10 ft with diffusers behind the OBs and absorbers at the first reflection points. The rest of the room remains untreated.
Thanks
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2020, 01:06 pm by Bumpy »

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2020, 04:54 pm »
The midrange drivers are 94dB or the system is 94dB? You mention 'midrange drivers' which suggests a 3-way design, meaning some power would be getting lost in the crossover. Despite the high sensitivity quoted and the room dimensions not being immense, I can't imagine it'd be that hard to clip a <2W amp if the average SPL is high and the output is going through a 3-way crossover.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2020, 08:29 pm by dB Cooper »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2020, 08:01 pm »
That is the sound of your amp compressing.  I notice the same thing happens with my Type 45 amp when I really push it.  Even using 97db efficient speakers with powered bass sections doesn’t solve it completely.  There’s only so much volume you can get from 1.5 watts.  My 300b amp does 7 watts and it’s fine so the issue is definitely the amount of watts.

Bumpy

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2020, 10:15 pm »
That is the sound of your amp compressing.  I notice the same thing happens with my Type 45 amp when I really push it.  Even using 97db efficient speakers with powered bass sections doesn’t solve it completely.  There’s only so much volume you can get from 1.5 watts.  My 300b amp does 7 watts and it’s fine so the issue is definitely the amount of watts.

Tyson
I think you're right. Tonight I put in a 30 watt Rotel sand amp and it sounded clear at high volumes. :(