Apogee Duetta Signatures - anyone still have them? I do!

Spirit

• Volunteer
I haven't read much about the DSigs in quite a long time. I have owned mine for almost 30 years and I am still loving them.
I am having two of my amps checked by a tech and once I get them back I will post some pictures of my system.
I would love to see pictures of other members DSigs and also some comments as to how relevent they are in today's audio world.

Norman Tracy

Re: Apogee Duetta Signatures - anyone still have them? I do!
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2018, 03:17 pm »
Lucky audiophile! Apogee is a place I regret not stopping and calling it DONE in this audiophile thing.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2018, 05:21 pm »
Lucky audiophile! Apogee is a place I regret not stopping and calling it DONE in this audiophile thing.
Well said Norman! I actually do feel quite lucky that I still own them. When setup properly and with the right gear, they sound so great.
Funny story how I bought them - I saw them advertised in the Classified Ads in the newspaper (remember those days?). I contacted the seller by phone and told him that I was interested in seeing them and asked for his address. He told me that it would be easier if he met me at a specific meeting place and then we could go see them together. I didn't understand what he was getting at but I took a chance and met him at the arranged spot. It was at the bottom of city just on the edge of Lake Ontario. He met me there and then we walked along a dock and into his boat!!!  He lived on this small boat and that is where he had his system setup!!! He had the Apogees setup with a huge Classe power amp and there was hardly any room to move. I will never forget that day.

H2OAUDIO

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2018, 06:25 pm »
I used to have not one but two pairs of the Duetta Signatures.  I gave them up to good friends who want them so badly after hearing my Apogee collection.  I have two friends who has the D-sig.  Yep, they sound fantastic. I don't currently own the Duetta Signature but own the Scintillas, the Studio Ribbon Array, a pair of Minigrand and a pair of stages.

Henry

simon wagstaff

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2018, 07:25 pm »
I also had a pair long ago, drove them with a Counterpoint SA-220 that blew up all the time. Lovely speakers, wish I had kept them. I was in an apartment at the time and just didn't have the room for them. If I could do it all over again I would have kept them, and updated the Counterpoint while Micheal Elliott was still alive, and wasted my money on other stuff.

maxima95

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2018, 07:56 pm »
Still have some Stages.  The right one misbehaves slightly (faint buzz) occasionally. 

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2018, 08:55 pm »
I used to have not one but two pairs of the Duetta Signatures.  I gave them up to good friends who want them so badly after hearing my Apogee collection.  I have two friends who has the D-sig.  Yep, they sound fantastic. I don't currently own the Duetta Signature but own the Scintillas, the Studio Ribbon Array, a pair of Minigrand and a pair of stages.

Henry

Henry (H2O Audio): you must be the same Henry that makes the H2O amps and who used to frequent the old Apogee users forum. Am I correct? Are you still manufacturing? I believe the amps were Class D if my memory serves me correctly.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2018, 09:03 pm »
I also had a pair long ago, drove them with a Counterpoint SA-220 that blew up all the time. Lovely speakers, wish I had kept them. I was in an apartment at the time and just didn't have the room for them. If I could do it all over again I would have kept them, and updated the Counterpoint while Micheal Elliott was still alive, and wasted my money on other stuff.
Michael Elliott died??? When?

H2OAUDIO

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2018, 09:21 pm »
Hi Spirit,

You are correct.  Yes I am still making class D amps.

Henry

simon wagstaff

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2018, 09:43 pm »
My bad, I thought he had passed since he closed Counterpoint. Looks like he is still alive and well with Aria Audio, but not working on Counterpoint stuff.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2018, 11:06 pm »
Hi Spirit,

Henry
That is amazing Henry! I remember how much your amps were praised in those days.
Do you have a website?

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2018, 11:07 pm »
My bad, I thought he had passed since he closed Counterpoint. Looks like he is still alive and well with Aria Audio, but not working on Counterpoint stuff.
No worries! I think that you are correct - he doesn't work on Counterpoint stuff anymore. I can't find his site anymore.

H2OAUDIO

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2018, 01:00 am »
Hi Spirit,

Thanks so much.  Unfortunately the website has been down for awhile now so I don't really have a website.  But if you have any questions, please contact me directly.  I can't believe you held on the Apogees for that long.  Then again, I have my Scintillas for 25 years and still loving them.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2018, 02:45 am »
Hi Spirit,

Thanks so much.  Unfortunately the website has been down for awhile now so I don't really have a website.  But if you have any questions, please contact me directly.  I can't believe you held on the Apogees for that long.  Then again, I have my Scintillas for 25 years and still loving them.
Thanks Henry for the info.  I was just curious about the amps so that is why I wanted to see the amps. I am not in the market for anything new right now.
I have owned these Duettas for about 30 years and until I sell my house I won't part with them.

docdan

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2018, 02:19 am »
Then again, I have my Scintillas for 25 years and still loving them.
same here... Scintilla and still loving them...

Emil

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2018, 03:55 pm »
Apogees sure were way ahead of their time.

Hard to believe no one picked up the ball after the death of Jason Bloom.

well, there is http://www.analysisaudiousa.com/

Rx8man

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jul 2018, 06:04 pm »
I've been an Apogee fan for many years, ever since hearing the original 1ohm Scintillas in the late 80s.

With Graz ribbons, Bill Thalmann or Rich Murry updates, the right room and amps, can't be beat, still ahead of their time, magical.

Here's a few interesting links: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?21094-Visit-to-Henk-van-der-Hoeven-Apogee-Acoustics-Re-builder-Restorer

Scroll down: http://zero-distortion.org/odeon-horns-kronzilla-aries-cerat-diana-apogee-scintilla/

Graz, the man: http://www.apogeeacoustics.com/company.html

I'm surprised seeing Henry here, glad he's still in the game :wink:

BobM

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2018, 10:35 pm »
I bought a beat up old pair of Caliper Sig's and essentially rebuilt them. The crossovers got new wire and caps and I did my best to temper the buzz from the ribbons by putting felt on the areas that were the worst. that worked for a while but I got the itch to get better, so I bought a pair of Dueatta Sig's from a friend who was going the upgraded Graz route. I sold the Calipers for what I paid.

His new GRAZ speakers are like brand new, with a price point to match. They sound fantastic, but so do mine. There's no buzz in them, at least not after I  pulled the crossover into a separate box and upgraded it. I then use an external subwoofer crossover between the preamp and amp to limit the bottom end on the Duetta's, starting the rolloff at about 80Hz. I have 2 REL subwoofers to pick up the bottom end.

Now I've heard a lot of systems and a ton of speakers, but the Apogees do something that most cone speakers struggle at. They are coherent from top to bottom, with no discernable separation like you get from a multi driver cone speaker. They are ultimately transparent, and as such, are finicky in the extreme to set up and match components to. I drive mine with a McCormack DNA500 amp, which is like using an arc welder. Tons of current and amps to be used when called for.

Do I ever yearn to replace them with something else? Ha, you must be kidding. For 30+ years anyone who has heard an Apogee wants a pair.

afalken

« Reply #18 on: 5 Sep 2019, 07:09 pm »
Hi Spirit,

Henry

Hello Henry I own original 1 ohm scintillas - interested in your H2O(s) as is a friend of mine.  Can you provide details of your recommended options & terms?  ( reply or PM fine with me - newly registered on AC when I ran across this post. )
BTW current amps are (4) period Class A hybrids running passively bi-amped with stock XO's.

afalken

« Reply #19 on: 21 Sep 2019, 05:34 am »
Hello Henry I own original 1 ohm scintillas - interested in your H2O(s) as is a friend of mine.  Can you provide details of your recommended options & terms?  ( reply or PM fine with me - newly registered on AC when I ran across this post. )
BTW current amps are (4) period Class A hybrids running passively bi-amped with stock XO's.

Hi Henry hope you are still out there and building great amps - in my last post requesting your recommended amp options I should have mentioned I likely prefer staying with at least 2 amps to keep speaker cable runs short - but am open to your suggestions.  Look forward to your reply.