Recent Acquisitions...

jhm731

Recent Acquisitions...
« on: 27 Oct 2010, 08:41 pm »
Had a 40% off borders coupon and was lucky to find Anat Cohen's new CD Clarinetwork: Live at the Village Vanguard at my local store.

This is Cohen's first live recording on which she honors the centennial of clarinet legend Benny Goodman. She's backed up by a veteran rhythm section of Benny Green (piano), Peter Washington (bass) and Lewis Nash (drums).

Great sounding live recording. I found out it was recorded with a Metric Halo ULN-8.

Bear Heath

Re: Recent Acquisitions...
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2010, 08:53 pm »

Since you like clarinet have you checked out Ken Peplowski? He lead the Benny Goodman big band after Benny retired. Acoustic Sounds has some of his albums. Peplowski plays more that big band music. Saw him last year with the JazzMN Big Band here in Mpls last year and he was outstanding.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2010, 09:10 pm »
I also like the big flute and wish suggest this gem of TopMusic(HongKong) with Mr.Acker Bilk in great sound quality, remasterized in 32/192.  Very beautiful smooth jazz.
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/5990

>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets they live only two years average.

decal

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2010, 09:21 pm »

LP
Herbie Hancock "Head Hunters"

ooheadsoo

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2010, 02:47 am »
Been picking up some pretty cool new stuff:

Carmen Souza - Protegid
Vocal jazz, french and african influences, as far as I can tell.  Great expressive vocals.  Really good.

Youn Sun Nah - Same Girl
Not traditional jazz by any means, but definitely improv, definitely in the moment, supreme expression in her vocalization.  Has some great covers.  She has apparently been all over France and now Europe.  Here's to hoping she makes it stateside soon.

Eliane Elias Plays and Sings Bill Evans
Here's a real veteran.  This album apparently came out in 2008.  Superb playing, as always.

Tizer - Live
More like smooth jazz, plenty of funky pop 'n slap in the bass line, should please any one looking for something a little more palatable for the mainstream, but with enough musical nuggets to keep the more advanced listener interested.  Fusion might be a better way to classify it.  Definitely virtuosic non-radio friendly stuff going on.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2010, 03:48 pm »
Does anyone know about a recent release by Avery Sharpe? It might be a limited edition of some kind. I looked for it in a big on-line store but no go.

I heard a cut on the radio and it made me want more. Straight up. Maybe I'll call the radio station.
neo

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2010, 04:59 am »
Does anyone know about a recent release by Avery Sharpe? It might be a limited edition of some kind. I looked for it in a big on-line store but no go.

I heard a cut on the radio and it made me want more. Straight up. Maybe I'll call the radio station.
neo

This one.... ?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2010, 02:12 am »

Youn Sun Nah - Same Girl
Not traditional jazz by any means, but definitely improv, definitely in the moment, supreme expression in her vocalization.  Has some great covers.  She has apparently been all over France and now Europe.  Here's to hoping she makes it stateside soon.

She was in Montreal in June.  I wish I knew about her then, she appeared in an excellent small venue with tickets at 20$ :duh:...  Next year maybe...

rockadanny

« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2010, 01:38 pm »
My friend was garage sale cruising and picked up several CDs for me ($.50 for the lot). His pile did include a real gem (IMO):

I really like this. Reviews pooh-pooh it for the silly reason that it is not as good as the first one they did 10 years prior. What a dumb reason. This always kills me - that the review is based on previous "better" work as opposed to reviewing it on its own merits. I've not heard the first one, but I think this one is darned good on its own.  :thumb:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2010, 12:58 am »
This one.... ?

Thanks. I think it was the one before. I'll have to get both.

I picked up a new Fred Hersch trio album called Whirl. It's good. He's a good player.
neo

coldfogey

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2010, 02:24 pm »
Hi jhm731

If you want some nice clarinet, try "A Royal St. Serenade" by Tim Laughlin.  He is from New Orleans but this is not Dixeland. It is more like a Benny Goodman small group. It was very well recorded in Feb 2009. I think you will like it.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2010, 01:22 am »
With recent NY RAVE, driving up to Double Decker to score a ton of classical vinyl, and driving to Endicott NY to get my Purity One preamp, then playing with same all week, I comepletely forgot last week I went to DD and scored some Jazz vinyl;

Avant-Garde
John Coltrane, Don Cherry, John Coltrane & Don Cherry | Format: 180g vinyl

In Concert Volume Two
Freddie Hubbard, Freddie Hubbard & Stanley Turrentine | Format: Vinyl

Stan Getz: Voices [Vinyl LP] [Stereo]
Stan Getz (Author), Herbie Hancock (Author), Jim Hall (Author), Hank Jones (Author), Ron Carter (Author) | Format: Vinyl

Miles Davis In Person - Saturday Night At The Blackhawk Vol.2
 | Format: Vinyl

On A Misty Night
John Coltrane (Author) | Format: Vinyl

And from Amazon,
Concierto
Jim Hall (Author), Ron Carter Paul Desmond (Performer) | Format: Vinyl

rockadanny

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2010, 09:02 pm »
It's a Hank Mobley (all recent except for Soul Station) kind of day as I get the food and house ready to host NY Eve party tonight ... woo hoo! ...

Soul Station

Workout

No Room for Squares

A Caddy for Daddy

etcarroll

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2011, 02:28 pm »
Spent New Years in the ole hometown of Boston, while waiting for the fireworks stopped into Newbury Comics and grabbed the following CDs, many at discount;

Mingus - "AH UM"
Miles - "Milestones"
Miles - "Dig"
Miles - "Cookin'"
L. Morgan - "The Sidewinder"
L. Morgan - "Leeway"
B. Evans - "Riverside Profiles"

etcarroll

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2011, 01:33 am »
Some new vinyl;

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:07 am »
I bought this CD recently and really like it.  Great trombone work on the track Mandeville, and the tune really builds nicely.  This is on the ArtistShare label which is an interesting story in itself, check out their site.

Saxophones / Woodwinds
Tom Scott, Dan Higgins, Bob Sheppard, Jeff Driskill, & Gene Cipriano
Trumpets / Flugelhorns
Wayne Bergeron, Gary Grant, Warren Luening, & Chuck Findley
Trombones
Bob McChesney, Andy Martin, Charlie Morillas, & Craig Gosnell
French Horns
Rick Todd, Steve Becknell, Paul Klintworth & Justin Hageman.
Rhythm
Peter Erskine (drums), Chuck Berghofer (bass), Tamir Hendelman (piano),
Dean Parks (guitar), Brad Dutz (percussion), Dan Greco (percussion), and Paulinho DaCosta (percussion).