When did appliances get so expensive?

ctviggen

When did appliances get so expensive?
« on: 20 Jun 2018, 10:49 am »
Our double wall oven died recently. We went shopping for double ovens, and holy crap can those get expensive.  If you want "steam" (the latest buzzword), it can cost upwards of 6 grand.  We bought something quite a bit cheaper, but we did pay for a side-opening door (Bosch).  That is, the door swings open from the left (or right) instead of opening downward.  We were willing to pay another $1,000+ to get this feature, as we're not getting any younger and lifting stuff over a door that swings downward is a pain.  We host all the holidays, and this will be so much nicer.

The new ovens are nicer:  slide out (or pull out or whatever they call them) racks (this alone rocks!), convection, multiple bake cycles, etc.  But man you pay for that.

While at the stores, we looked around.  I remember paying $800 or so for my first refrigerator, and being shocked at that price.  Now, it seems like 3+ grand is the going rate for fridges.  And everything, cook tops, etc., was similar. 

And do we really need everything to connect to Wi-Fi?  (Though our second choice for a double oven was a GE that allowed you to operate via Alexa, which I think might have been cool, but the side opening door was a better match for us, we thought.)

ctviggen

Re: When did appliances get so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2018, 11:03 am »
Just used this for the first time.  The side opening doors rock!  No more bending over to get things out!  The convection rocks, too.  We used to have to rotate our pans around, and if cooking more than one item, rotate them from rack to rack.  I did rotate the pans around, only because I was in the habit of doing it -- then I realized that there was no reason to do this.

By the way, why is everything stainless? I hate stainless.  You have to clean it all the time.  This oven was only in stainless.  If it wasn't for the side-opening doors, we would've purchased a different oven (our second choice, a GE, had non-stainless). 

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2018, 12:23 pm »
I hear you on appliance prices. 

Over the past 13 years in this house we have replaced them all (the washer and dryer 2x!).

We have a traditional style range (slide in dual fuel), counter depth fridge (nothing like paying more for less!) and over the range microwave all in stainless (KitchenAid).  The dishwasher is still black (was purchased before the kitchen reno). 

I find I have to clean the fridge most of all - always puzzles me how fingerprints end up on the door - by the handle - is the handle not for using folks?  AHHHHHHHH!

I found decent stainless cleaner at HD (Zepp) and it's simple to use and does a great job.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2018, 12:50 pm »
Fancy appliances (like built-in double ovens or refrigerators) target the upscale clients, come from upscale brands, and so load up with luxury features that tend to fail, but have premium markups.  Fortunately wifey has gotten over her modestly upscale appliance stage, realizing that most features rarely got used, so last year when we had to replace washer, dryer, and freezer we went 'ordinary' and spent less than $2k for all three.  White textured freezer, no frost free.  Went with white bottom of line Speed Queen washer and dryer with simple mechanical controls, that cost more than typical junk out there but both are rated for 25,000 loads (should last us beyond our grandkids lifetimes).

And it's one thing leading to another.  Double oven means expensive cook tops.  Fancy stoves means fancy refrigerator (ice and water that never seem to work for long).  Fancy appliances leads into expensive countertops with new cabinets, special order sink, and upscale faucet.  Best to keep it all conventional, basic design and look for build quality first.

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2018, 04:40 pm »
 :D come on people ,,,,SubZero ,,,,you need that 15,000 dollar fridge,   Ha.  Buy buy buy,,,, new appliances are junk built to fail within years ,,,, :popcorn:

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2018, 05:27 pm »
When my parents needed a double oven for family gatherings they pulled out the Nesco Oven Roaster, and it has the latest "steam" feature because it is a small closed system. I love the Houzz website but you will never see a $50 Nesco cooker sitting on a granite countertop in any of their kitchen photos but you will see $2000 steam ovens.

NXR Ranges are the real deal, I've used mine daily for 6 years without a problem. Excellent burners, big oven, manual controls (no logic boards to fail), all for $2000. This sucker puts out a lot of heat so you will need an good range hood and it requires a 3/4" gas line. Highly recommended.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2018, 05:43 pm »
I don't usually step into these discussions...

Happy wife = happy life.

Since she does the "work" in the kitchen I made sure she was fully satisfied with all the gear she desired. If I can have a $50k stereo, she can have a $50k kitchen! Only fair.

Double 30 inch convections, Viking rangetop, quiet Bosch DW, quiet disposal unit, quiet composite sink, 27 cu ft of fridge, 13 foot island. She's happy and I'm very willing to eat her cooking.  :banana piano:

Are these priced the way we wanted them to be (or any of us)? Hell no, but I shopped smart and found deals on most of them. Then I moved on to the eating part.

And I must say, until you have cooked on a Viking or others of that ilk, it's like putting in that $10,000 dac and going ---- oooooooohhh ahhhhhh, nice! So I learned something in that project (for those of us who boil water). :oops:

But I don't want to have to do this again. It might be a once in her lifetime kitchen. Although the Bosch DW is something I really love and will own again. Can't hear the damn thing run while standing next to it. If it weren't for the red light shining on the floor you'd never know. Probably the best $800 value.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2018, 08:19 pm »
I truly believe you get what you pay for, I can't tell you how many dishwashers, refers, microwaves and lawn mowers my Dad has gone through in his lifetime. He buys the cheapest whatever it is and it seems like something is always being thrown away and replaced for another cheap model.

I bought a Sub Zero when we built our house 25 years ago. It cost $7000.00 at the time and was a huge chunk out of our budget. But, at the time it was the only refer made that was counter depth at 24" deep. I have had to fix a couple of small things on it but it has been a fantastic appliance. My John Deer  that my wife's folks gave us was 18 years old when they gave it to us it finally died after working for almost 30 years. My Bosch dishwasher lasted 10 years which I was told is normal for that brand. It sure worked well and like Red mentioned was dead quiet. We still have our Whirlpool washer and dryer that we bought when we built the house. Yes, at the time they were kind of expensive but they are 25 years old and still work perfectly. How many people can say there cheap washer and dryer lasted that long?

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2018, 08:43 pm »
Another satisfied Bosch dishwasher here.

Yeah, appliances today have too much computerized crap on them that can go bad. A few months ago, I replaced a $200 circuit board on a 3-year old washing machine. Our refrigerator is over 20 years old and we paid $799 at the local Sears Outlet. When it goes out, I may have to finance its replacement. :o

Emil

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2018, 08:44 pm »
I bought a Sub Zero when we built our house 25 years ago. It cost $7000.00 at the time and was a huge chunk out of our budget. But, at the time it was the only refer made that was counter depth at 24" deep. I have had to fix a couple of small things on it but it has been a fantastic appliance. My John Deer  that my wife's folks gave us was 18 years old when they gave it to us it finally died after working for almost 30 years. My Bosch dishwasher lasted 10 years which I was told is normal for that brand. It sure worked well and like Red mentioned was dead quiet. We still have our Whirlpool washer and dryer that we bought when we built the house. Yes, at the time they were kind of expensive but they are 25 years old and still work perfectly. How many people can say there cheap washer and dryer lasted that long?

This can also be the case of " they don't build things like they used to."
Will a new Sub Zero last 25 years? Will a new John Deer last 30 years?
I have my doubts

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2018, 11:42 pm »
BTW, a friend who entertains frequently built a satellite kitchen where he keeps a 2nd full sized oven, freezer, and sink.  Perhaps cheaper and more flexible than a double wall oven.

Our previous dryer was a Maytag 'Drying Center' (a double height affair with a low heat upper compartment for delicates).  We replaced it with the Speed Queen when the repairman said logic and relay boards both blew and parts alone would be $700 when the factory got around to build them.  Thus ended wifey's love for fancy appliances.

BTW Emil, it's spelled 'John Deere'. (After growing up around almost nothing but John Deere on the farm I had to bring that up.)
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2018, 10:01 am by JLM »

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2018, 02:52 am »
I bought a used 20-25 year old fridge for my work area for $25 15 years ago. It is still working perfectly today. I guess they just don't build them that way anymore?