Skipping the preamp by using the Cherry DAC DAC (and related stuff)

SteveMiller

Re: DAC DAC
« Reply #20 on: 3 Nov 2015, 10:33 pm »
Hi OzarkTom,

Not sure if this helps, but I'll give it a go.   When using USB over a very well know and continually well reviewed Dac, I felt I had a very good system.  I did however yearn for a little more, and I wondered about these split USB cables, and alternate power sources etc.  My Dac was asynch and galvanically isolated with some type of extreme reclocking enabled to supposedly be the statement in USB audio.  It was pretty good but I always wondered "What if?"....  So i engineered my own split USB cable, after about 4 attempts and several hacked cables, I got it right... and it maybe sounded a little bit better.  but splitting hairs to a degree.  I then found an affordable "memory player" software for my iMac that did infact seem to let things flow better than Itunes.  So there I was, all tweaked out and happy with it. 

Along came DAC DAC.  and the usb to spdif bridge that I mentioned above.  no more spit cables, and iTunes sounds freakin fabulous.  The Halide uses some implementation of Gordon Rankins Streamlength tech I believe.  And Tommy may speak to the immunity of the DAC DAC input to jitter.  But honestly, I am no longer craving extra devices or tweaks. 

My suggestion would be to get your hands on DAC DAC and then some version of SPDIF delivery, and enjoy your music for the first time.

Tommy O's ears work well, and he somehow manages to make great audio at affordable prices!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #21 on: 4 Nov 2015, 12:01 am »
:duh:

A computer dummy here, would this thing help on the dac dac? I love that name, dac dac.

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

Tom, I put one in front of my M2tech Evo converter stack and it made a very nice improvement. Normally the Regen goes right before the dac input but it works wonders for me at the converter. Alex says to put it as close to the dac as possible which is where mine is, I tried taking it out of my system and that lasted about 2 minutes. I really like what it does to the sound.

Greg

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #22 on: 4 Nov 2015, 01:07 am »
:duh:

A computer dummy here, would this thing help on the dac dac? I love that name, dac dac.

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen
The DAC DAC (thanks for the compliment) re-clocks the data internally with it's own ultra-accurate time base.  I'm not sure that reclocking devices would offer a significant improvement unless the USB source isn't working properly.  Measured performance is pretty impressive with just an inexpensive USB-to-S/PDIF converter, and the sound is confirmation of the DAC DAC's accuracy when USB is the source.

HOWEVER, I'm very skeptical of USB audio reliability.  I've heard one of my systems drop samples, and it's beyond annoying.  Reconstructing the USB with a dedicated port to drive the DAC can fix a lot of problems on the PC side.

Anything reasonable is worth a try, but I'd make sure you can return it if you're not hearing an improvement, as with any similar device.

The other thing is that the DAC DAC counts on proper S/PDIF (no errors, no missing samples, standard voltage), so we consider the USB part separate, and I'd suspect some USB-to-S/PDIF converters perform the same function internally as well, aside from what's necessary for the bare process.  Plus, many systems provide S/PDIF "raw", and it performs very reliably.  Thanks again.

xsb7244

« Reply #23 on: 18 Nov 2015, 06:00 pm »
How much is the DAC DAC?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #24 on: 18 Nov 2015, 07:28 pm »
How much is the DAC DAC?
$600-900 range.  If we can build enough at once, closer to $600.  We made it simple to keep cost down, but no compromise in performance, plus it's DC coupled!  Thanks for your post.

-Tommy O

jseipp

« Reply #25 on: 24 Nov 2015, 03:36 am »
I'm looking very forward to matching the Maraschino's with a Dac Dac -- that price range makes it all the sweeter.... 

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #26 on: 24 Nov 2015, 05:00 pm »
When will the DAC DAC be shipping ???

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #27 on: 24 Nov 2015, 06:03 pm »
When will the DAC DAC be shipping ???
Early 2016, as in probably by February.  We need to spin the new board version which gets rid of the "daughter card" currently necessary for the HS (high-spec) version.  We also need to finalize the enclosure design, which is the same size/shape as the MINT and our 60V 1kW Maraschino power supply.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
High-Spec version of DAC DAC (HS)
« Reply #28 on: 24 Nov 2015, 07:55 pm »
Daughter Card for High-Spec (HS) version of Maraschino Cherry DAC DAC:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
DAC DAC Kickstarter
« Reply #29 on: 25 Nov 2015, 03:30 pm »
Yes, we're planning a Kickstarter.  The first few people to purchase a DAC DAC will get an amazing price!

We'll send the link only to those who committed to buying one on the first day, just prior to launch. We will delay advertising the link until the third day.

Interested?  If so, please email us at Support@DigitalAmp.com.

To those who already committed to first day support, no need to email.

Thanks.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #30 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:17 pm »
Greg Voth, a Stereo Times contributor, was kind enough to take a listen to the DAC DAC board (TL configuration), and he said "I could only listen via CD and only single-ended, but I thought the board was quite dynamic and punchy. ....my first reaction to the board was ‘wow'.".

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #31 on: 1 Dec 2015, 02:56 am »
Greg Voth, a Stereo Times contributor, was kind enough to take a listen to the DAC DAC board (TL configuration), and he said "I could only listen via CD and only single-ended, but I thought the board was quite dynamic and punchy. ....my first reaction to the board was ‘wow'.".
The system:
Marantz CD player as transport, Opera Consonance M100SE integrated amp, Synergistic Research Looking Glass X2 IC’s and solid silver IC’s, Tellurium Q Silver Diamond speaker cables and soundkaos Wave 40 speakers.

....hmmmmm.  I'm thinking Maraschino, maybe MINT....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: DAC DAC Kickstarter
« Reply #32 on: 3 Dec 2015, 11:45 pm »
Yes, we're planning a Kickstarter.  The first few people to purchase a DAC DAC will get an amazing price!

We'll send the link only to those who committed to buying one on the first day, just prior to launch. We will delay advertising the link until the third day.

Interested?  If so, please email us at Support@DigitalAmp.com.

To those who already committed to first day support, no need to email.

Thanks.

-Tommy O
Here's the deal.... We are planning a Kickstarter to launch DAC DAC. A select group has agreed to back the project ON DAY ONE to get a significant discount. We will delay public announcement of the launch so the less expensive rewards will likely be all taken by then. We will be sending out a newsletter (ours are very infrequent) to explain the details. There's still time to get on the list, but you need to be signed up for our newsletter to get this info:
http://bit.ly/1G8bsxZ

Matthijs Broekman

« Reply #33 on: 13 Dec 2015, 04:47 pm »
Hi Tommy,

Very impressed with the numbers of the dac dac (HS). I was wondering if you would be offering different power supplies, and better connectors etc. basically the question is will there be a king version?

drmike

« Reply #34 on: 14 Dec 2015, 01:51 pm »
can one of the jacks be bnc instead of rca?
thanks,
drmike

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #35 on: 14 Dec 2015, 05:00 pm »
Hi Tommy,

Very impressed with the numbers of the dac dac (HS). I was wondering if you would be offering different power supplies, and better connectors etc. basically the question is will there be a king version?
Thanks.  The RCA connector will be gold.  The initial prototypes didn't have gold connectors due to a lead time issue.  The XLRs are Neutrik with gold contacts.  No king is version planned.  Some have suggested providing a USB-to-SPDIF adapter at least as an option.  However, we are seeing a pretty constant flow of new devices on the market, and like our other thread says, it's a "moving target".

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #36 on: 14 Dec 2015, 05:05 pm »
can one of the jacks be bnc instead of rca?
thanks,
drmike
We aren't planning to include a BNC jack, but adapters like this one are readily available (in gold, too):

Thanks for your post.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #37 on: 3 Jan 2016, 01:35 pm »
ONLY 10 DAYS LEFT!
Just a few of the outrageous deals on there:
- Desktop Maraschinos $1190/pr, reg $2500/pr
- Classic Cherry MONOs $1290/pr, reg $3000/pr
http://kck.st/1NWutrj

Don_S

« Reply #38 on: 3 Jan 2016, 04:03 pm »
We aren't planning to include a BNC jack, but adapters like this one are readily available (in gold, too):

Thanks for your post.

Is there anything Amazon does not have?  :thumb:

Which way do you need to go?  Both with free shipping.

Monoprice on Amazon $4.53  BNC male to RCA Female

Monoprice on Amazon $3.79  BNC female to RCA male

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #39 on: 3 Jan 2016, 07:27 pm »
Is there anything Amazon does not have?  :thumb:

Which way do you need to go?  Both with free shipping.

Monoprice on Amazon $4.53  BNC male to RCA Female

Monoprice on Amazon $3.79  BNC female to RCA male

BNC female to RCA male works (connects right to DAC DAC input).  However, the BNC male to RCA Female adapter can be used on the source side if it has a BNC output, then you would use an RCA-to-RCA (m/m) wire.  Either way should be fine.  Thanks.