NX-Treme's getting ready for LSAF.

Danny Richie

NX-Treme's getting ready for LSAF.
« on: 11 Apr 2019, 01:04 am »
Assembled, hooked up and burning in.

They aren't leaning forward. It's just the camera angle.

The colors came out great.

A little closer.

A little closer still.

I added a little Copper to the base to match the Copper phase plugs.

A closer look.

Next is to line them with with No Rez and get the triple OB servo sub towers built.

DeeJayBump

Re: NX-Treme's getting ready for LSAF.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2019, 01:27 am »
Nice. Looks like the sides might be finished in Duratex. What color or finish are the baffles?

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2019, 01:36 am »
Nice. Looks like the sides might be finished in Duratex. What color or finish are the baffles?

Duratex sides with leather like texture and painted a gloss black. The front baffle is a metallic gray with clear coat.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2019, 01:42 am »
Duratex sides with leather like texture and painted a gloss black. The front baffle is a metallic gray with clear coat.

Thx, Danny.

The copper-baffled Studio Monitors, Dodd gear and chip amps driving/burning in the NX-Tremes look nice as well.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2019, 02:01 am »
Looking good 👍 can’t wait to hear them

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2019, 04:06 pm »
They did indeed  come out   great  man  :thumb:
Wait till you hear them with the   triples  . 

It's a sloped pair of triples you  have  sitting there so  they'll  look  great  to gether  at the  show  !
jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2019, 10:01 pm »
Triple servo stacks are now getting some burn in time too.

Nice looking bases too.

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2019, 02:59 am »
Cool   8)
Must be the pics  but  those  don't  look sloped...   we sent sloped ones to you..... ?
How do you  like  the  3  woofers  facing forwards ?  Any diff  in your opinion ?

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2019, 02:22 pm »
Cool   8)
Must be the pics  but  those  don't  look sloped...   we sent sloped ones to you..... ?
How do you  like  the  3  woofers  facing forwards ?  Any diff  in your opinion ?

jay

Oh yeah, they're sloped. It made cutting the No Rez pretty tricky.

I really can't tell any difference in how they are faced. I've never had a system set up in this room like this.

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2019, 05:57 pm »
Oh yeah, they're sloped. It made cutting the No Rez pretty tricky.

I really can't tell any difference in how they are faced. I've never had a system set up in this room like this.

yeah,   the no rez is  trickier like that.  I actually  have a few sheets   here I have to cut up for a customer ... had kind of forgotten  he had sloped ones... I have no sloped cabinets  on hand    so  it's going to be a  challenge.  Cross pieces  will be  fine... sloped   vertical pieces   are gonna be tough.

Glad you've got it all together  now  and  have some tunes  playing :thumb:

sledwards

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2019, 06:42 pm »
Brings back memories when I had to cut all the No Rez for my sloped subs. Bandsaw with mitre gage worked nicely.

AKLegal

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2019, 01:29 am »
Am I seeing things or is there some sort of fabric over the Neo 3s?

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2019, 03:36 am »
No, not seeing things...  a little black grill cloth over the   gR Neo3's.
Hides the   white and possibly  softens  the highs  ever  so slightly  .... ?

jay

ebag4

« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2019, 03:03 am »
That system looks incredible. 

Best,
Ed

barryso

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2019, 11:42 am »
The system was incredible.  Quick and dynamic and an amazing sound stage.  All driven by a 10 watt per side chip amp.

They handled the nuances of jazz and female vocalists then would turn around and absolutely nail a rock song in a take no prisoners fashion.

Bravo.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2019, 03:07 pm »
Danny's designs, particularly the large OB speakers, have the ability to go from Ella Fitzgerald jazz to large scale orchestral Mahler to intimate solo violin Bach and then blast away at Nirvana or Led Zeppelin, all with equal aplomb.  You think that because they do intimate music so well that they won't be able to slam out rock with gusto.  But they do.  They kick ass in every type of music, equally.   

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2019, 11:28 pm »
A friend and I, after thinking Danny's room the best at recent LSAF, are in kinda shock in seeing that the big speakers were driven by 10 watt chip amps.  How about some more info on these amps?

Captainhemo

« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2019, 03:45 pm »
Here's  Danny's  implementation of the  7297
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124981.msg1317309#msg1317309

folsom   did up a an entirely new  board   as well as  his own  power supply. It is/was available   with  complete  B]OM  and  instructions.  His thread is over in the  Cheap and Cheerful   circle.

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2019, 04:37 pm »
A friend and I, after thinking Danny's room the best at recent LSAF, are in kinda shock in seeing that the big speakers were driven by 10 watt chip amps.  How about some more info on these amps?

I'm running my Super 7s with a 10 watt tube amp.  They go very loud and also sound very big.  Monster amps just aren't required with these designs.

Captainhemo

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2019, 08:04 pm »
I'm running my Super 7s with a 10 watt tube amp.  They go very loud and also sound very big.  Monster amps just aren't required with these designs.

Mine are being driven with a Mivera Audio Pure Power  600 wpc  8 ohms ,(no preamp) ,  subs connected via  a Jansen Isomax SP-AEX  transformer.... working  great    :thumb:

While you  don't  need much power  for these designs, having   it  only helps .... I ran my Otica's for a few years , most   of them  with low poer tube/chip amps.   When I got the  1200 in here,   it took control of those speakers and I was finally able to put the  M165X's  to good use   !!

jay