CDT-8..I’m a bit confused regarding SAMPLE RATE

Mike K.

CDT-8..I’m a bit confused regarding SAMPLE RATE
« on: 18 Jul 2019, 12:24 am »
Hello, I’m using the CDT-8 (with Coaxial Cable) with my IDA-16.

When switching through the various Sampling Rates of the CDT-8, half of me seems to hear a difference, my other half says placebo (maybe its because I’m 68 years old and hearing might not be the same?). With that in mind, what sonic differences or presentation should I be experiencing by going from 44.1KHz,to 96KHz etc..

BTW - just saying, the CDT-8 and IDA-16 have been an audio bargain for me, and has exceeded my expectations/can’t ask for more (that’s coming from having owned more costly equipment).

Thanks, Mike

John Casler

Re: CDT-8..I’m a bit confused regarding SAMPLE RATE
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2019, 09:37 pm »
Hi Mike,

Up Converting the Sampling Rate theoretically offers a cleaner sound, and higher frequency extension, but this is more true with higher resolution files.

This might be helpful.

<<<Audio CDs, for example, have a sample rate of 44.1kHz, which means that the analog signal is sampled 44,100 times per second. ... If the sample rate is 44.1kHz, the highest frequency that can be captured and stored is a bit less than half of the sampling frequency, or around 22kHz.>>>>

Many find trying the higher rates offer other qualities too like better texture, richer mids, deeper/tighter bass etc.

Most important thing is finding the rate that gives you the best "perceived" sonic experience.

Mike K.

Re: CDT-8..I’m a bit confused regarding SAMPLE RATE
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2019, 10:41 pm »
John - thanks for piping in/ setting me straight on this, very much appreciated.

Sincerely, Mike