HT4's are the Real Deal

Big Red Machine

HT4's are the Real Deal
« on: 22 Jun 2009, 01:47 pm »
I'm late to the party.  Getting a private audience with these speakers was pretty nice.  I recently auditioned some VSA VR4 SR MKIII's locally and they were very nice driven by a Sonic Frontiers tube system.  The instruments floated out there and the soundstage was deep.

The HT4's did all that but with much greater bass depth and control.  I told Jim they kinda piss me off because they are so NOT THERE that it is hard to define what they sound like.  I was temporarily speechless there for a few minutes and could not find the right words, which, if you know me, I am usually quick to give my opinion.  My real reference are the HT3's and these things aren't even in the same league.  The bass is deeeeep and wide and powerful and the rest of the frequencies just float above effortlessly.  Not the sizzle of the G2 ribbon I had come to love; the darn cymbals and triangles were there, but they didn't overwhelm.  It's really aggravating because I am not used to this at all.  Dang. 

After you taste it, then you have to have it. :surrender:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: HT4's are the Real Deal
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2009, 02:31 pm »
Thanks for the report--I'm happy to hear you weren't disappointed.  I spent a good part of the weekend playing the HT4's for various guests along side the HT3's and various other concoctions.  To me, it just seems like someone stretched out the sound of a good conventional speaker in every direction.  We've actually been fiddling with the Beast a bit after AKFEST.  I suspect you were hearing the slightly adjusted version.  In the past I've always tried to keep the bass from overwhelming the midrange, which can easily happen with traditionally ported designs with powerful woofers, and I was just as careful with the HT4.  But Jeff Bagby's bass tuning is so flat and nonresonant that we decided a bit more would be better, relatively speaking. I think the balance is about perfect now, and the bass quality can be jaw dropping when it's called for.   

martyo

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2009, 02:56 pm »
This is all very interesting. Before we bought our Ht3's I was concerned because of the 29hz F3, since our then current speakers of 15 years were probably "+" at 20hz.(slopy and muddy for sure, but part of the dynamics, the tonal balance, the foundation.....) Talked to Pete in Denver, there was a thread dedicated to my concerns. Many expressed their opinions; "nothing there", "don't need response below 40", etc, but one guy did use subs with his HT3's, and Dennis Murphy validated the " part of the dynamics, the tonal balance, the foundation" piece. It's all pretty funny.

Now we have the "G2 sizzle"............. :lol:

I'm not knocking the HT3's. They do most everything pretty darn good, just go in a store and take a listen (and look). Or look at what the cost can be taking things to the next level, the HT4.

earthbound

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2009, 03:12 pm »
. . . We've actually been fiddling with the Beast a bit after AKFEST.  I suspect you were hearing the slightly adjusted version.  . . . Jeff Bagby's bass tuning is so flat and nonresonant that we decided a bit more would be better, relatively speaking. I think the balance is about perfect now, and the bass quality can be jaw dropping when it's called for.

When I heard the Beasts at AKFEST I was overwhelmed with their clarity and "you are there" presence. Very, very nice indeed. But I made a rude comment at the time that I liked the bass of the HT2-TL better, and I've been feeling bad that I left that stinker of a comment hanging out there without further explanation. The Beast's bass really was excellent except for what I perceived as a slight dip in response where a particular bass note wasn't quite as loud as I thought it should have been. I suppose this could have been caused by the huge room, or my seating position, or ear fatigue from riding my motorcycle a couple hours to get there (I do wear earplugs, but still . . .) I'm really glad you've tweaked things a bit, and I have no doubt that the Beast is now about as close to perfection a human design one can get. Congrats!

rahimlee54

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2009, 03:41 pm »
I'm late to the party.  Getting a private audience with these speakers was pretty nice.  I recently auditioned some VSA VR4 SR MKIII's locally and they were very nice driven by a Sonic Frontiers tube system.  The instruments floated out there and the soundstage was deep.

The HT4's did all that but with much greater bass depth and control.  I told Jim they kinda piss me off because they are so NOT THERE that it is hard to define what they sound like.  I was temporarily speechless there for a few minutes and could not find the right words, which, if you know me, I am usually quick to give my opinion.  My real reference are the HT3's and these things aren't even in the same league.  The bass is deeeeep and wide and powerful and the rest of the frequencies just float above effortlessly.  Not the sizzle of the G2 ribbon I had come to love; the darn cymbals and triangles were there, but they didn't overwhelm.  It's really aggravating because I am not used to this at all.  Dang. 

Would they be worth a ~5 hour drive up to Dennis' for the DIY event he is hosting? 

If I can find someone to ride with me I am there  :o.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2009, 03:45 pm »
Stinker! :cuss:

You can't get much past Jim, Dennis, and Jeff.  A funny story on how much time went into finding out why the bass just wasn't perfect.  But they got it in the end.  And Jim showed me how little of a change it really was on the DEQX screen.  Works for me. aa

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2009, 03:47 pm »

Would they be worth a ~5 hour drive up to Dennis' for the DIY event he is hosting? 

Well that's a trick question.  If you think you would buy them, then take your checkbook.  If you are sadistic and are kicking the tires, then you'll be kicking yourself if you don't buy them after you hear them. :drool:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2009, 04:28 pm »
Many expressed their opinions; "nothing there", "don't need response below 40", etc, but one guy did use subs with his HT3's, and Dennis Murphy validated the " part of the dynamics, the tonal balance, the foundation" piece. It's all pretty funny.

Now we have the "G2 sizzle"............. :lol:

I'm not sure what I'm validating here.  Certainly not that you need response down to 18 Hz for music.  My comments about the bass all pertained to the region between 40-80 Hz.  That's the area we were trying to get in a little better balance with the mids and highs.   I don't know about the G2 "sizzle."  It certainly doesn't sizzle next to a typical dome.  But the RAAL does have a more open sound when there's lots of content up high in the program material. 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2009, 04:33 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, maybe the HT4's plus the barbeque.  And the golden retriever.  It's all good.  I can put two people up for the night.  I'll have to see who all's coming closer to the event.  But I do hope you can make it. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2009, 04:46 pm »
It's not a bad sizzle.  The HT3's are probably more in your face as compared to the HT4.  So the highs are there but they don't jump from the driver, but hang in space where they are struck on the stage.

sedah

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2009, 04:49 pm »
I think I now have a new goal in life: to never hear the HT4s. Unless of course I get a large salary upgrade, win the lottery, or some such.  :drool:

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2009, 07:24 pm »
^ Unfortunately I might have to join you there, sedah.  I'll never be able to afford them, so maybe I shouldn't tempt myself.  Must...not...listen...Ahhhhhhh!

So, Pete, when are you're new HT4's going to arrive?  :D

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2009, 07:53 pm »
It's not a bad sizzle.  The HT3's are probably more in your face as compared to the HT4.  So the highs are there but they don't jump from the driver, but hang in space where they are struck on the stage.

That sounds about right. 

earthbound

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2009, 08:40 pm »
^ Unfortunately I might have to join you there, sedah.  I'll never be able to afford them, so maybe I shouldn't tempt myself.  Must...not...listen...Ahhhhhhh!

I think Jim should give you a pair for all the business you've sent his way! :thumb:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2009, 09:59 pm »
So, Pete, when are you're new HT4's going to arrive?  :D

Yeah, Pete ("I am not upgrading"), what finish did you select?   :lol:

BTW, what will you be driving them with? 

Nuance

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:05 pm »

I think Jim should give you a pair for all the business you've sent his way! :thumb:
LMAO!  :lol:

Well, if you can convince him, I'd be more than happy to accept.  :lol:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:48 pm »
I doubt I will ever own a pair. :cry:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:54 pm »

Bummer. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:56 pm »

That makes two of us.

Hopefully I will hear a pair someday.

George

Art_Chicago

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:02 am »
^ Unfortunately I might have to join you there, sedah.  I'll never be able to afford them, so maybe I shouldn't tempt myself.
That is not constructive.  You never know how things might change. And sometimes they do for good.