When it rains Salks, it pours....

bigbang

When it rains Salks, it pours....
« on: 25 May 2012, 05:59 pm »
So, I'm wading into the Salk waters by going the used route. My choices are HT3's or HT2-TL with HTC. My gut says go with the 3 way box but I do have sub(s) on hand, so what say ye?

I can not hear/see the HT3's, but am going to listen to the HT2-L's in the a.m. I'm sure I'll be impressed.

Music is classic/current pop, rock, contemporay, blues.

Front end is very modest Integra 886 into a reworked Sunfire Cinema Grand. Room is 18x20. Can only get the speakers about 3' from the wall behind them and 3-4' from the side walls.

bigbang

Re: When it rains Salks, it pours....
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2012, 06:13 pm »
Just found this http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105564.0

Leaning towards the HT2-TL after reading that. And if they wow me, I can sell a car or somthing for the SS8's! :lol:

grantc79

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2012, 06:17 pm »
Where are ya located?

I have HT3's with a 15 inch sub and I don't regret it.

In my opinion the reason to go with Salk isn't just the sound its to have something unique. The HT3's look unique, the HT2's look like speakers.

saeyedoc

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2012, 06:24 pm »
You should drop Jim Salk an email, he's very helpful. The HT2-TL is easy to place because of the TL, you can place it closer to the front wall than the ported HT3.

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2012, 07:11 pm »
Jim does have quite a few choices.
I have HT3's and my brother HT2-TL. My 3's are 32" from the back wall. Your room is plenty big for the 3's. I think the HT2's are awesome. They are easier to drive than the 3's and easier to position. And they are less expensive. They put out an impressive amount of bass for the size of the drivers. OTOH you can really hear the difference when the midrange has it's own driver rather than doing double duty, the 3's go lower and to my ears a properly implemented larger driver sounds more real in the low end than a pair of smaller drivers. My brother has a single 15" sealed sub and I usually prefer his set with the sub on.

They are both good speakers. Just my experience. Of course you could sell a car or something and get the SS8's.

Good luck. 8)   

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2012, 07:23 pm »
So, I'm wading into the Salk waters by going the used route. My choices are HT3's or HT2-TL with HTC. My gut says go with the 3 way box but I do have sub(s) on hand, so what say ye?

I can not hear/see the HT3's, but am going to listen to the HT2-L's in the a.m. I'm sure I'll be impressed.

Music is classic/current pop, rock, contemporay, blues.

Front end is very modest Integra 886 into a reworked Sunfire Cinema Grand. Room is 18x20. Can only get the speakers about 3' from the wall behind them and 3-4' from the side walls.

If it were me, everything else being equal, I would pick the HT2-TLs.  Advantages are footprint, cost, sensitivity.  HT3s go lower, but you are running subs.  HT3s are nicer looking design, IMO aside from size considerations.  You do give up the three way though.  I was debating between them and ended up going for SS8's.  :lol:  Three way, sensitivity closer to the HT2-TL, reasonable footprint, goes low, no port but, more money of course.  :?  Here's my obsession thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105564.0.  Everyone was very helpful.

Three feet from the walls is acceptable for either IMO.  Many have less room behind.

Pay attention to which drivers each of the models have.  The tweeters have changed along the way, I'm not sure about the mid in the 3 or any of the woofers.  I wouldn't pass by the one you want if it doesn't have the newest RAAL tweeter, but might be a factor in comparing them to each other.

You can also check the audition sticky thread and/or email Jim for possibilities of owners near you that are willing to audition.  This is a family after all (as Nuance likes to say  :D).

..........Peter

bigbang

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2012, 09:36 pm »
Thanks for all the input. Clear as mud now!

I'll see how the HT2-TL's sound in the morning and go from there.

I was thinking I'd need more room for the HT3's. Would probably want more power with those as well.

Oh well, if this is as bad as it gets, I'm in fine shape.

I've emaild Jim. He's the one that suggested looking at a "box" speaker as opposed to the Archos.

revrob

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2012, 04:05 pm »
As the owner of HT3s I would suggest you go with the HT2-TL. The HT3s are going to want more power and are more difficult to place. I don't believe you will regret your decision.

Peace.

bigbang

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2012, 08:12 pm »
As the owner of HT3s I would suggest you go with the HT2-TL.  I don't believe you will regret your decision.

I did, and I don't. Well, there are some "things", but I'll wait until I have some more hours on them before I start with a barrage of comments and questions. But generally I'm quite pleased after the past two days with them.

mark funk

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2012, 09:29 pm »
I have been wanting to swap speakers with me bro Martyo, he has HT-3s with the G2s and I have HT2-TL with the RAAL.

:smoke:

advanced101

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2012, 12:54 am »
I wanted a SQ and SPL, I have a huge room and like it loud.  I have the HT2TL with a JL Fathom F113.  HT2TLs are crossed at 80Hz to the F113.  Sounds crazy good, very loud and clear, no distortion.  The Woofers in the HT2TL don't move much when they aren't forced to go low.  The speakers sound good on their own too.  I feel like I got the benefit of the dedicated mid-range of the HT-3s with low distortion and the amazing gut hitting bass of the F113. 

But be warned, it only starts at the speakers.  I wouldn't let the amp selection steer you away from the HT3s.  Once you get the speakers you will get the itch to get a nice amp for either set of speakers.  Then pre-amp, etc, etc.