Bi-Amping Salk SS8's or other lines with RAAL tweeters.

yetis

Hi,

I had been planing on trying something new with my new SS8's.  I wanted to try bi amping.  I am doing this as the designer of the Hypex Ncore amps I am building is of the mind that it sounds the best... As I am building them and adding a couple extra holes and posts is not a big deal, I thought I would try it. However, as I think about it, I wonder what  the negative consequences could be.  I will not be using a external crossover, which I know negates a large degree of the bi-amps benefits. However it sounds like there are still some benefits, possibly. I would note that I will be using a Meridian 861, which has a lot of scope for adjustment.  In any event, would like to hear some comments, if anyone has some views.

Regards,

jsalk

Re: Bi-Amping Salk SS8's or other lines with RAAL tweeters.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2012, 08:49 pm »
As long as the gain of the amp channels involved are the same, there is no problem driving the woofers with one amp channel and the midrange/tweeter sections with another.  In this case, the woofers can demand all the power they require with no impact on the midrange/tweeter section. 

Keep in mind that the amount of power drawn by the midrange/tweeter will be less than the power drawn by the woofer section.  Depending on the latter, it may or may not be all that audible.  But it certainly can't hurt and can only help keep the midrange/tweeter section clean, especially if the power supplies have trouble meeting the woofer's power demands.

- Jim

saygrr

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:32 pm »
I think where Jim is coming from is called limited bi amping or vertical bi amping. Correct me if I am wrong Jim. Vandersteen owners did this a few years ago. Don"t hear about it much anymore. You buy 2 stereo amps same model. You need 2 main outputs on your line stage or preamp. One amp is for the right speaker the other for the left speaker.Just like Jim said one channel is for the bass other for mids and highs. If I were to biamp this is the way I would do it. I tried bi amping with electronic crossover as well as passive but did not like it. Putting the money into real good mono amps sound better in my opinion.

Austin08

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2012, 11:44 pm »
I think where Jim is coming from is called limited bi amping or vertical bi amping. Correct me if I am wrong Jim. Vandersteen owners did this a few years ago. Don"t hear about it much anymore. You buy 2 stereo amps same model. You need 2 main outputs on your line stage or preamp. One amp is for the right speaker the other for the left speaker.Just like Jim said one channel is for the bass other for mids and highs. If I were to biamp this is the way I would do it. I tried bi amping with electronic crossover as well as passive but did not like it. Putting the money into real good mono amps sound better in my opinion.

I am agree 100%.  Why not just save money and buy a really good pair of mono block amp.