considering going TUBED. Van Alstine tube pre amp and SS amp.

Bigfishhk

I asked Frank at AVA for a suggestion re tubed pre amp/ SS power amp set up. This is the set up many Song tower owners seem to be recommending. I want soundstage and magic of tubes, but bass control and slam of SS.
He recommended Transcendence 8+ vacuum tube preamplifier with  Insight+ 240 solid state amplifier.

Anyone using this combo? Or anyone using Transcendence 8+ with another power amp?

(If I go this route, it would replace a Krell integrated KAV 400xi (200watts pc). I find the Krell plus somg towers very transparent and detailed, if a little clinical. Bass control is good but could do with more oomph on some tracks. However I decided against a sub for time being as it won't really fit in the limited space I have.)

thanks in advance for your feedback

TOm

Kinger

Exact combo I'm using with my Salk ST/RT's.  No complaints here.

Bigfishhk

Kinger, How would you describe the overall sound of the set up?
Do you run a sub with this set up?
thanks again for taking time to answer my questions.
Tom

Kinger

Hmmm......probably not the best in describing sound qualities of gear.  Overall I'd say it's a detailed system, but yet at the same time it's not fatiguing by any stretch.  The T8 is great because it provides a bit more of a "real" quality to voices and instruments than I had heard from my previous pre.  The 240 provided more bass and more detail than my previous amp which was just a Denon AVR.

Yes, I do run a sub (Rythmik F12) with this setup although I ran it for a year without.  If your tastes don't run towards music with a lot of really low end, I wouldn't say the ST's require a sub by any stretch.

Art_Chicago

great combo, and you get 30 day return policy just in case.

Bigfishhk

Overall I'd say it's a detailed system, but yet at the same time it's not fatiguing by any stretch.  The T8 is great because it provides a bit more of a "real" quality to voices and instruments than I had heard from my previous pre.   

thanks for description.   I guess I am looking for that extra sense of air and depth and magic that eludes my current combo. The Krell is good in other ways..
Only way to find out is to hear the T8/Insight combo I suppose!

*BY THE WAY I AM INTERESTED IN ANY OTHER TUBE/SS COMBOS THAT SALK OWNERS RECOMMEND. thanks
tom

coke

My dad is using a Tube DAC, Insight Preamp, and Insight Amp.  Very impressed with it for the money, but it does lack some of the "magic" my fet valve pre and amp have.

fsimms

Keeping the price modest, I would recommend getting a Dodd battery tube preamp/buffer.  My friend AliG used one with his HT3s and it was outstanding.  I don’t think you will get better sound at any where near the price.   I would be tempted to get one and use it with your Krell first.   If you wanted more then I would think about getting one of VanAlstine’s amps or a new or used McCormack amp.  The only reason that I didn’t get one is that I keep my preamp on for a dozen hours or more at a time.

If you had the preamp then you could mail order an amp that you thought would work well and try it in your own system.  If it didn’t work then you could send it back and get your money back to try another one.

Bob

Nuance

thanks for description.   I guess I am looking for that extra sense of air and depth and magic that eludes my current combo.

I'll be honest: I've never heard tubes add "air," but I have heard them do magical things with the midrange and sound stage.  "Air" has more to do with the upper regions of the FR in my opinion, and can be achieved with a very good tweeter and crossover.

Just my opinion.

prvngrnd

He recommended Transcendence 8+ vacuum tube preamplifier with  Insight+ 240 solid state amplifier.

I too am running this same set up with "stock" ST's (Hiquphon OW2 tweeter) for about a year now. Most of my listening is computer audio (.flac files) via a SB Touch (un-modded with TT 3.0 tweaks). You will LOVE this combination!

Two of my favorite aspects of this rig are the lack of fatigue (already mentioned) and the ability of the AVA-Salk combo to capture the signature of recorded, live music. I already mentioned in a review of my ST's that I listen to A LOT of live music which is taped with microphones in the audience (not soundboard or official releases, etc.) and it is uncanny how the warmth of a small club or the airiness of an outdoor venue is transmitted into my living room.

But perhaps my favorite comment about this system is one from my wife. She arrived home from work shortly after I received my AVA gear, sat down to listen to some of her favorite tracks, and exclaimed, "It actually sounds better, louder!"  :o

Sufficeth to say, I don't have upgraditis with my pre-amp, amp, and speakers. I just need to get my sources up to par.

-Adam