Chris' Exotica 3's in Mexican ziricote

jsalk

Chris' Exotica 3's in Mexican ziricote
« on: 16 Jan 2015, 04:08 pm »
Chris was looking for his dream speaker and settled on the Exotica 3's.  We searched for just the right veneer and came up with some nice Mexican ziricote.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Chris!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2015, 05:22 pm by jsalk »

JonnyFive

Re: Chris' Exotica 3's in Mexican cocobolo
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2015, 04:20 pm »
Those are gorgeous!  Had I seen those before ordering rosewood, I might have gone that route.  Happy listening, Chris!

Jon

sfox7076

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2015, 04:23 pm »
Welcome to the Exotica Club. Nice veneer. 

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2015, 05:03 pm »
 :dunno:

I think these are mine. But I thought the veneer I had picked was ziricote. Either way they look pretty great to me, and I am happy with them.

I also switched the caps out to Clarity Cap MRs.

It will be a few weeks before I have them, have to give Jim the rest of his well earned funds. Can't wait to get them.  :thumb:

chip

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2015, 05:14 pm »
Those look great!

jsalk

Re: Chris' Exotica 3's in Mexican ziricote
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2015, 05:23 pm »
:dunno:

I think these are mine. But I thought the veneer I had picked was ziricote. Either way they look pretty great to me, and I am happy with them.

You are certainly correct.  They are ziricote.  I was typing faster than I was thinking.

- Jim

SCompRacer

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2015, 05:46 pm »
Another wow pair of speakers! Congrats Chris! High marks to Salk and company! Great listening!

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2015, 05:56 pm »
Gorgeous,

They look like walnut with an "attitude".  :green:

OgOgilby

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2015, 02:26 am »
Very nice, congrats Chris  :thumb:

robcentola

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2015, 05:52 pm »
Hello dream-speaker, I'm Rob.  :drool:

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2015, 08:27 pm »
Chris:

If you are moving up from the Salk line, may I ask which Salk speaker did you replace for the 3's? Also you're impressions?

kingdeezie

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2015, 10:00 pm »
Chris:

If you are moving up from the Salk line, may I ask which Salk speaker did you replace for the 3's? Also you're impressions?

This will be my first Salk speaker. Once I get them here, which may be a couple of weeks, I will post impressions.

JonnyFive

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2015, 10:19 pm »
This will be my first Salk speaker. Once I get them here, which may be a couple of weeks, I will post impressions.

You went right to the top! Did you demo any Salk speakers in your search, or just knew these were the ones based on the description?

kingdeezie

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2015, 10:56 pm »
You went right to the top! Did you demo any Salk speakers in your search, or just knew these were the ones based on the description?

So, I did not demo any Salk speakers in my search. Sounds crazy right?  :oops:

However, IME, I have most often times found that going direct gives you more bang for the buck. I mean, that is readily apparent when you take a look at the drivers and crossover parts that some of these direct companies are putting into their products versus much more expensive competition.

Salk was not my first choice to be completely honest. There was several companies I emailed. One in particular I was about to give a down payment. However, the communication became non-existent, and I would go weeks, or a month without responses to my questions. I figured if I was putting five figures down, I needed to be assured it wasn't a huge risk.

I saw the audiocircle posts about the Exotica 3's, and figured I would email Jim and see what he thought about my room, system, and what speaker he would recommend.

Within an hour I had a response, and the communication between myself and Salk has been amazing. I have something like 80 emails between myself and the company, asking question after question about my order.

This kind of customer service, which is surprisingly rare in this audio hobby, made my decision very easy. Sometimes, absolute performance is not all the matters. Sometimes, its also the customer service, and the feeling that you are buying a quality product, from a quality person/company.

Once I decided I wanted Salk, I had to choose between the SS8 and the Exotica 3s.

This was a very hard decision. There has been, throughout this board, arguments between which is the better speaker for rock and blues, or vocal and folk. It is hard to distinguish between what is conjecture, and what is actual truth. As far as I know, no one has compared the two speakers together in their own systems over a period of time, except for BRM, and even then he has changed equipment in the process.

Sfox's seemed to be of the opinion that the E3 was stellar for all variety of music, because they are very organic, transparent, open, and natural, and at the end of the day, that is the kind of sound I am looking for.

I went with my gut.

A friend of mine went to RMAF, and I asked him to check out the E3's for me. He has an amazing system with SoundLab U1s. Like any good friend, he enjoys busting my proverbial "balls," so believe my when I tell you, he was anxious for the reality to be that the Exoticas weren't very good.

The fact that seconds after he heard them, he texted me to tell me that he loved the sound, and that they were excellent, assured me I made the right choice.

Its been a long time waiting for these, and due to some aggravating screw up with my vacation payout from my old job, it will be just a little bit longer. Jim has been patient with waiting, which again is a testament to his customer service.

I am super excited.  :thumb:

Austin08

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2015, 11:51 pm »
I have to agree that Salk service is first rate. Everytime I contacted Jim, he always picked up the phone or called me back right away minutes later. Buying speaker on line is hard enough and that kind of respone make me feel so confident in my purchase decision. As far as SS8 vs E3, I like the E3 right at the first time I heard it at the CAF last year. I have a lot of though of  swaping out the 8 to E3  but after I got home, put on the needle and said to myself "don't be rediculous, this is still awesome..." (I am still thinking the E3 is a better speaker between the two but the 8 is not far behind in performance at 2/3 of the cost) just my 2cts

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2015, 12:22 am »
You made the right decision.  If you like your friends SoundLab's you will like the Exotica's.  They are by far the best Salk speaker I've ever heard.   :thumb:

sfox7076

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2015, 01:05 am »
Chris,
How much was the cap upgrade?  I think I will eventually put in some Jupiters, but that will be when I get an extra grand or two....  Well, $1400 right now...  Seems like it might be a waste...  That said, these are my speakers to the end... 

Shawn

kingdeezie

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jan 2015, 01:38 am »
Chris,
How much was the cap upgrade?  I think I will eventually put in some Jupiters, but that will be when I get an extra grand or two....  Well, $1400 right now...  Seems like it might be a waste...  That said, these are my speakers to the end... 

Shawn

The cap upgrade was pretty reasonable, almost the same as the Jupiters. The clarity MRs are supposed to be fairly neutral, which is why I picked them. I also don't have the skills to do it myself, so I figured I'd just let Jim do it.  :thumb:

sfox7076

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2015, 10:01 pm »
Turns out that you need 4 15uf and 2 30uf caps (or really 8 15ufs).  May see if I can change them.  That said, I looked at the Jupiters and they are 11.6cm long!  nuts. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jan 2015, 10:09 pm »
Here's a comparison of a standard crossover board to the MR caps I got for my SS8's. I had heard they were big...Jim said they made it just fit by like a 1/4" inside the speaker.