Omega speakers good for low volume listening?

kenk

Omega speakers good for low volume listening?
« on: 30 Jul 2020, 10:54 pm »
Hi All,

I am searching for a new pair of speakers that sound good at late night listening.  I am wondering if Omega speakers are good at that?  I am listening mostly to pop and jazz etc, no rap. 

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2020, 09:31 pm by kenk »

roscoe65

Re: Omega speakers good for low volume listening?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2020, 10:59 pm »
Yes.

guf

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2020, 12:26 am »
yes

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2020, 03:17 am »
Yes. In fact they excell at low volumes. I sold off KEF LS50's when I got my first pair of Omegas several years ago. The LS50's are horrid speakers at low volumes.

AvsFan

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2020, 03:46 am »
Yes. In fact they excell at low volumes. I sold off KEF LS50's when I got my first pair of Omegas several years ago. The LS50's are horrid speakers at low volumes.

Absolutely! I have two systems in one room. And for late night or early morning listening, or for just some kick back and listen to some jazz, female vocals and so on, it's mainly on the Omega's. Probably one of the best low level listening speakers I've ever heard.

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2020, 04:14 am »
Hi All,

I am search for a new pair of speakers that sound good at late night listening.  I am wondering if Omega speakers are good at that?  I am listening mostly to pop and jazz etc, no rap. 

Thanks in advance.

Hey!

Yes. This is pretty much go with most high efficiency speakers. And with single driver speaker, you'll love jazz through them. Also, I absolutely love female vocal through a good pair of single driver speaker.

Buddy

AvsFan

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2020, 03:32 pm »
Hey!

Yes. This is pretty much go with most high efficiency speakers. And with single driver speaker, you'll love jazz through them. Also, I absolutely love female vocal through a good pair of single driver speaker.

Buddy

Yeah, I was listening to my high efficiency ZU's last night at low volumes and was amazed the little details and nuances I was hearing in the music, plus the dynamics were all there without having to be loud.
But the Omega's are even better at low listening levels. Amazing speakers. I am still trying to get the amplification synergy right, but in the meantime, I can hear what a lot of people have raved about with these speakers.

Female vocals are ridiculously great with the Omega's.  A wine and dine, intimate experience!

justforfun

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2020, 04:19 pm »
AvsFan,
You've got the Super 3 model or similar with the small RS5 driver?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2020, 05:39 pm »
AvsFan,
You've got the Super 3 model or similar with the small RS5 driver?

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171406.0

justforfun

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2020, 06:23 pm »
I'm must be confused then, looks like he's selling them but also looking for a good amp to pair with them?

Anyway, Louis gave me a pair of Super 3 HO XRS to play with prior to ordering mine. I kind of had a love hate relationship with them. With some music they were simply stunning....best I've ever heard, and others not really to my liking. I tried a Class A Threshold, Prima Luna tube and a Parasound amp. That's just me and my ears, not saying they weren't great! I still took a leap of faith in him and ordered my Modern CAMs and absolutely love them...on everything.

I guess my point is if amp pairing is proving to be frustrating it may just be that speaker. Another of his models might just be the perfect match for you like it was for me.

kenk

« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2020, 02:49 am »
thanks for all the inputs.   :thumb:

I will do a little more research first as there is no in-home trial.

AvsFan

« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2020, 04:22 pm »
thanks for all the inputs.   :thumb:

I will do a little more research first as there is no in-home trial.

No in home trial?

Omega gives you 30 days.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2020, 03:26 pm »
Never heard the HO’s but all the single driver Omegas I’ve had over the years have been excellent at low level dynamics, but the amp is just as important.  As a general rule of thumb, SET, SEP, and Class D work well.  Other posters on here no doubt have great results with other amp types.  I speak only from my personal experience.

thetakeout

« Reply #13 on: 13 Aug 2020, 08:59 pm »
Omega's are great for low level listening.  I have only heard the Super 3xrs HO version. 

I don't own any at the moment but after hearing them at low levels at another forum members place I am sold on their performance for late night listening sessions. 

I want to get a pair of their alnico drivers.  I haven't heard them, but they have captured my imagination!

kenk

« Reply #14 on: 13 Aug 2020, 11:58 pm »
I just purchased a used SAM locally to try out.  As the speakers are relatively new I think they are not even burn in yet so i am playing bass sweep test tone when i am home (face to face out of phase).  Based on my initial impression they are very clear at low volume so i am happy. :D  I am hoping they can open up in the bass area after burn in.  For amp, I am using a small 6w SEP amp and not sure if those decware amp is a good match. 

redwoodaudio

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2020, 11:24 pm »
I wouldn't expect a lot of bass from the alnico drivers, regardless of cabinet.  I am very happy with matching 10" subs made for me by Louis.

NickMimi

« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2020, 02:38 pm »
If your system is correctly integrated you can get excellent performance from an Omega speaker at low and medium volume levels in both medium and small rooms. My room is 16W x 24L x 18T with 3 openings to approximately 10000cubic foot volume when accounting for the open space beyond the room dimensions, @6k "internal" room volume. Bass performance using Decware 341.5 amplifier at 6wpc is excellent but NOT gut pounding, that would be practically impossible for speakers of this limited size. When a more visceral  experience is required I am able to add a pair of 12" Monolith subs, plug the Omega ports and I'll swap over to a bit of SS power at approximately 60wpc which helps bring out a different level of depth and a touch more volume. The speakers have limitations and that should be considered when choosing them, but they are not bass light. Room treatments or lack thereof will also affect sound performance. When more club like levels of sound pressure are required i switch over to larger Klipsch towers and a 600wpc SS amp. w/subs.
It is what it is, I have never been able to get a single pair of speakers to give me all I want. Good luck and happy listening, hope you figure out what you want/need/desire most.

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2020, 06:43 pm »
[Irrelevant due to my not checking OP date]

AvsFan

« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2020, 10:37 pm »
I'm must be confused then, looks like he's selling them but also looking for a good amp to pair with them?

Anyway, Louis gave me a pair of Super 3 HO XRS to play with prior to ordering mine. I kind of had a love hate relationship with them. With some music they were simply stunning....best I've ever heard, and others not really to my liking. I tried a Class A Threshold, Prima Luna tube and a Parasound amp. That's just me and my ears, not saying they weren't great! I still took a leap of faith in him and ordered my Modern CAMs and absolutely love them...on everything.

I guess my point is if amp pairing is proving to be frustrating it may just be that speaker. Another of his models might just be the perfect match for you like it was for me.

It was an up and down situation. Put them up for sale, took them down then later ended up posting them for sale again. And did ulitmately sell them. I scrapped the entire project. Sold off the Eaton monoblocks too. And I had that same kind of love and hate relationship with them. Sometimes loved them, sometimes hated them. In the end, they just weren't for me. 

thetakeout

« Reply #19 on: 23 Dec 2020, 04:17 am »
kenk,

Where did you land with the low listening level project? Any updates for the congregation?

AVSFAN,

what are you running nowadays.  Alan Eaton Mono's are out the door.  What's currently in the system for amps and speakers?

I hope all is well out there in audiocircle land!