Chicago's Extraordinary League of Vibrating Air

Fastnbulbous

Chicago's Extraordinary League of Vibrating Air
« on: 18 May 2018, 08:25 pm »
That's a very unofficial organization -- most of the members don't even know they're members (friends of mine who benefit from my music mixes, concert tix, etc).

I've been mostly active as a member of Head-Fi for about 12 years, and a couple other groups.  I thought headphone audio would be less expensive to play around with, but oops, I think I spent more on that stuff the past couple years than most of my big speakers!

One of the tweeters on my 15 yo Wharfedale Evo Pacific 20 speakers died in the bedroom, so I moved it temporarily to the workout room, and moved the Rega speakers from guest bedroom. I got obsessed with finding replacements that are at least 950mm tall because our captain's bed is pretty high, but spending under $800. I considered models from Tannoy, Canton, ELAC, XTZ, Emotiva, Monitor, Klipsch, paradigm, JBL, Fluance, Q Acoustics, Dali, Tekton, Acoustic Energy, Ascend, RBH, PSB and Mission, but have not yet pulled the trigger on anything. No, I can't audition all those brands (though I have heard a number of them) in Chicago, but at that pricepoint would be willing to take the risk to ship some. I was leaning toward Mission LX-5, but it's a bit more expensive than most of the others I was looking at. Waiting to see reviews of the new Q Acoustics 3050i. And to see what feedback this forum has!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Chicago's Extraordinary League of Vibrating Air
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2018, 10:11 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Fastnbulbous  :thumb:  Never fear, one of our favorite things is helping folks spend their hard earned $.  :D