New to audiophile hobby

gregkonkel@comcast.net

New to audiophile hobby
« on: 5 May 2018, 04:21 pm »
Hello, I am new to the audiophile hobby and am looking for advice on building a new system.  looking to spend around 5k to 7k for a system to stream music from spotify or tidal.

Greg

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New to audiophile hobby
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2018, 09:14 pm »
Welcome aboard Greag :thumb:
What is the room size?

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2018, 09:39 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2018, 12:03 am »
Welcome Greg.

In a smaller room you could do nicely with a BlueSound Node 2 DAC/preamp and a pair of active (self-powered) JBL LSR305 plus cables and stands for under $1000.  The Node 2 is fully MQA compliant (that Tidal offers) if that's important to you.  Near the top of the MQA compliant DAC/preamp heap within this price range I'd pick the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ ($2200 MSRP) and combine it with a pair of HEDD Type 20 active speakers ($4000) and if needed add a pair of Rythmic L12 subs ($1018).

For best streaming results (to avoid drop outs and to have the best sound quality) make sure you have a fast/reliable internet service.

Note that I'm a speaker guy and a proponent of active speakers. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2018, 01:10 am »
Welcome to AC, Greg.

When I bought my first system, I rushed into it only to discover (too late) that the speakers sounded like crap in my room, the amp wasn’t powerful enough, and I bought any old DAC because I didn’t grasp the importance of getting a good quality DAC.

After that debacle, I forced myself to be more patient, shop around and compare before buying. I still have bad buying habits, but they’re much better controlled now. Anyway, take your time and make sure the speakers are really the ones you want and the amp really pairs well. DACs have different sounds, so decide which one will keep you happy the longest.

Enjoy the journey.

Michael

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2018, 03:22 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, gregkonkel@comcast.net.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2018, 11:13 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Greg   :thumb:

gregkonkel@comcast.net

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2018, 03:39 pm »
I have purchased a Bryston 3BSST2 amp, BP26 MPS-2 preamp and power supply,  Cambridge Audio CXN music streamer, and Magnepan .7 speakers.  I bought the maggies from Audio perfection in Richfild Minnesota.   Mark the store owner has always liked the Bryston magnepan combination, and I have heard many great things about both online.   I purchased the Bryston components  used on Audiogon and got the CNX new online from a dealer.  All is connected with Audioquests cables from Best Buy Magnolia,  Balaced Red River connects.  All together cost about $6500. Just a simple intro system.

Right now I am listening to Bruce Cockburn's Speechless album on Spotify through the CXN.  WOW I am really liking what I hear,  these components realy work great together.  Openness and clarity are stunning, close my eys and listen to the music fill the room, gives me goose bumps, im starting to get what this hobby is all about.  The pure joy of listening is just amazing.  Also, Bruce is an amazing folk guitar palyer.

Glad to be a part of this truly enjoyable hobby,
Greg

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2018, 05:04 pm »
Welcome, I’m sure you’ll get plenty of help here.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2018, 05:52 pm »
Greg, 'ya done good! Maggies and Bryston are a great place to start. And a great place to pause and enjoy the music. That system should fend off upgrade fever for quite awhile.

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2018, 02:48 pm »
+1!  Nice intro system indeed, one to be proud of.