Recommend metal grill for n3?

yakman2020

Recommend metal grill for n3?
« on: 2 Feb 2021, 07:49 pm »
We've been very happy indeed living with the n3s I built a few years ago. But we have changed houses and the n3' s are living in a new room which in turn has 3 well behaved dogs. They arent misbehaving but it would be a big relief to be able to protect the n3 drivers from inadvertent harm. They are good dogs but they are dogs

The x-voce has a metal grill on standoffs. I would be interested in whether this would be a good idea on the n3s and if so, how to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Recommend metal grill for n3?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2021, 08:33 pm »
I have a set of grills from one of my X-Statiks, but my only complaint about them is that the metal grills tend to ring, esp at higher volumes. So i took them off and I dont plan to replace them, just remove the mounting posts, fill in the holes & repaint it once the time comes to build/replace the 2nd tower that was sadly damaged in shipping.

You might be able to make a wooden grill if you know someone with a CNC machine, or even out of plastic if you know someone with a 3D printer then covered with some speaker cloth. Should help protect the drivers, while also prevent the ringing issue.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Recommend metal grill for n3?
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2021, 06:40 am »
I made the grills for my N3s out of 3/8” Baltic birch ply. A router and jig saw will work. The router makes it easier but you can do it with a jig saw. A band saw with a 1/4” blade would also work. You’d cut the inside out like you were making a bandsaw box