Metro DC Audio Society???
« on: 10 Oct 2014, 12:51 am »
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2019, 03:28 am by wellpleased »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Metro DC Audio Society???
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2014, 02:33 am »
I think that one died an ignoble death from lack of participation. MAAC members have been meeting up from time to time at each other's homes. All you need to do is start a new topic proposing a meet at your  place and we'll come and critique your system in exchange for beer. Or join in when one of us proposes a meet.

wellpleased

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2014, 12:39 pm »
Sounds good...any new meetings coming up?

Roscoe Primrose

• DC Audio DIY
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2014, 09:52 pm »
There's also a fairly active DIY audio group at www.dcaudiodiy.com if DIY is your thing...

Roscoe

wellpleased

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2014, 01:02 pm »
Thanks for the info Roscoe, I will definitely check it out.

Jabs1542

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2015, 12:39 am »
Anyone want to try this again? I've had enough friends over and tested out some new formats (listening tests, name that tune, etc.), plus there might be some gear that others may be interested in. I would be willing to host a meetup followed by sound auditions from those wanting to attend.

DTB300

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2015, 03:41 pm »
Anyone want to try this again? I've had enough friends over and tested out some new formats (listening tests, name that tune, etc.), plus there might be some gear that others may be interested in. I would be willing to host a meetup followed by sound auditions from those wanting to attend.
Propose a date and time and others will jump in and let you know if they can attend or not.... 

Sometimes  a small get together with just a few people works over a large group attending.

Roscoe Primrose

• DC Audio DIY
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2015, 05:10 pm »
Sometimes  a small get together with just a few people works over a large group attending.

That's definitely the case at my place, I can't easily seat more than three in my listening room....

Roscoe

Jabs1542

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2015, 02:23 pm »
Ok - here we go.

The weekend of June 6, Sat or Sun are both open and we could do this in the afternoon or early evening. Same this for the following weekend June 13, Sat or Sun, afternoon or early evening.

A smaller group, no more than 6 (me included) would be preferred. I guess we can schedule this like I do with our poker games, if you would present your availability then I'll look at everyone's days and times and see what lines up best.

Funny but the challenge for serious listening is there is usually one best sweet spot, so we will be taking turns there while sampling music (yours if you bring some) through some different components.

A list of what we have to sample:
 - Legacy Aeris speakers
 - VPI Aries 3 turntable with Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge (arriving today)
 - Lampizator DSD DAC
 - several music software apps (JRiver, HQPlayer, Roon, etc)
 - Audiodesk ultra sonic RCM (bring an album or two)

Let's see if we can get something set up.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2015, 04:21 pm »
Hello Jabs,

Welcome to Audio Circle and kudos for volunteering. :thumb:
What neighborhood are you in?

Jabs1542

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2015, 01:29 pm »
I'm in McLean near the intersection of Old Chain Bridge road and Old Dominion - sort of the downtown area of McLean.

Jabs1542

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2015, 01:38 pm »
I received the Aries yesterday, set it up in the afternoon, and listened to it in the evening. Hoe-Lee-Crap!

A lot of things changed at once so I'm not sure which change is doing what but the overall system sound is incredible. Somehow the vinyl sounds cleaner (less ticks and pops) yet the music is MUCH more dynamic. This change involved the deck itself (Scout SE to Aries 3), the cartridge (Benz Gulwing to Koetsu Rosewood Sig), and the SUT (EAR 834P's built in SUT to Bob's Devices Cinemag SUT built onto the turntable deck).

My only complaint is that the cantilever is so small on the Koetsu body that it was very difficult to get it lined up, and once that was done I find it difficult to line up on a specific groove (like starting on the third song) - but I'm getting the hang of it.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2015, 03:38 pm »
Saturday evening or Sunday afternoons are best for me. Any weekend in June is fine. I've been interested in hearing the Lampizator dac for some time.  I'm nearby in Arlington.

You might get more attention if you create a new thread in the mid Atlantic audio circles (MAAC)....

*Scotty*

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2015, 09:00 pm »
Sat. and Sun. afternoons work for me.
Scotty

Roscoe Primrose

• DC Audio DIY
« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2015, 12:48 pm »
I could probably do either, but if it's gonna be this weekend, you probably oughta let us know ;)

Roscoe

KLH007

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2015, 06:56 pm »
Has a date & time been chosen yet?

*Scotty*

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2015, 08:42 pm »
I am nolonger free next Saturday. So it would have to be the last two weekends in June or sometime in July or August. Obviously CAFs dates are already scheduled.
Scotty

Jabs1542

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jun 2015, 08:34 pm »
Sorry guys, the end of the week got the better of me. I'm looking at Saturday the 13th starting around 4:00 till whenever. I got a couple of PM's, I'll send address details that way.

Send a fresh PM if you can make it, I didn't realize that messages in my Inbox would drop off (at least one of them did).

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #18 on: 9 Jun 2015, 01:49 pm »
I will check.  You are close but I have to check baby sitting schedule -- wife out of town. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #19 on: 9 Jun 2015, 05:48 pm »
 Sundays are better for me, but I might be able to make it this Saturday. If you can PM me the address information I would appreciate it. Thanks!