Integrated amp recommendations for M3 Turbo S?

md92468

Re: Integrated amp recommendations for M3 Turbo S?
« Reply #40 on: 30 Oct 2017, 04:04 pm »
That was me ;) Very happy with mine,  which is why I'm not in the market. Effortless, beautiful to look at, overbuilt...you get a lot for your money. Sacrifices a little bit of sweetness in the highs compared to a good tube amp, but you can't have everything - especially at this price point. With the 1100 and a Border Patrol DAC, I'm happy.

rebbi

« Reply #41 on: 30 Oct 2017, 07:29 pm »
That was me ;) Very happy with mine,  which is why I'm not in the market. Effortless, beautiful to look at, overbuilt...you get a lot for your money. Sacrifices a little bit of sweetness in the highs compared to a good tube amp, but you can't have everything - especially at this price point. With the 1100 and a Border Patrol DAC, I'm happy.

Thank you for reminding me that it was you! :-)
All the reviews say that these things are built like a tank, and that they are very sweet sounding (in the positive sense). And with, what, 150 W into 4 ohms, there should be plenty of power there.
Thanks again!

md92468

« Reply #42 on: 30 Oct 2017, 08:20 pm »
Plenty of power...I rarely listen above 10-11 o'clock on the volume dial in my smallish room. Enjoy it if you go in that direction!

JackD

« Reply #43 on: 31 Oct 2017, 03:11 am »
Over the last 18+ months with the M3 TS's and now the TM's I have cycled through a lot of combination including SS and tube preamps matched with SS, tube and Class D amps.  I always come back to the DAC10/ST-10 combo as the best match.  If the IDA-16 gets you close that is direction I would go in.  I also have an IDA-8, but as it has been boxed up since I got the 10 combo I have never tried it with the Spatial's. If you could find a hybrid integrated with enough juice that would also be an interesting combo, but short of the Vincent 237 I am not aware of one that's widely available. I've got a hybrid Kora integrated in my Office system with Reynaud speakers but since it's only 60 wpc I feel certain it wouldn't be enough for the Spatial's due to the volume of the room the Spatial's are in.  In the end it will be about what matches best with the Spatial's and not what other members have found to sound good with other speakers. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #44 on: 31 Oct 2017, 03:32 am »
Jack,

If you ever decide to unbox your IDA-8, I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts as compared to the 10 combo on the M3ts.

John

JackD

« Reply #45 on: 31 Oct 2017, 04:09 am »
John

If I do I will let you know though my inclination is to just sell, which I thought I had, or just give it to my daughter and her new husband.  My memory of the two compared on the GE Triton 5's is that the IDA-8 is to the left of neutral compared to the 10 combo.  How that translates to the M3 TM's in my room who knows. 

rebbi

« Reply #46 on: 17 Nov 2017, 04:17 pm »
Still thinking this through (and waiting for my SET to sell).
I'd heard that the NuPrime models can sound a bit "dry." Any truth to that?
Still considering Yamaha integrated or Odyssey.
Too many choices!!!   :duh:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #47 on: 17 Nov 2017, 04:22 pm »
What do you mean by dry?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #48 on: 17 Nov 2017, 04:27 pm »

rebbi

« Reply #49 on: 17 Nov 2017, 05:30 pm »
What do you mean by dry?

It was another audiophile that used the term to describe the NuPrime stuff; I'm not 100% certain what he meant (except that he didn't like it).   :lol:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #50 on: 17 Nov 2017, 05:53 pm »
Well there is no shortage of choice when it comes to amps, not to mention speakers, DACs cables etc. And all of these things have to work together like the numbers on a combination lock to open your satisfaction. With countless possibilities it can be overwhelming. It is also human nature to keep on moving, exploring what's out there. But that's another topic.

What you need is a short list of options that ideally you can try in your home. That's the only way you'll ever know for sure if something works for you or not.

avta

« Reply #51 on: 17 Nov 2017, 06:05 pm »
I’ve had a Nuprime IDA 8 for a few years. I don’t find it harsh or bright.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #52 on: 17 Nov 2017, 06:55 pm »
It is neither hash or bright. I had one in my system for a month with the same speakers Rebbi has. IMO it is a very solid choice in terms of performance with outstanding value.

who?me?

« Reply #53 on: 18 Nov 2017, 06:29 pm »
Interesting about the NuPrime, I gave up on them in the early class D years, but sounds like they have matured.

I bought a pair of M3TMs from Clayton this year at a show, he also recommends Red Dragon class D mono amps. they go for about $1000 a pair used.

I have used a Bel Canto Dac for a few years, and it has a built in preamp, which may be an excellent match with their single or mono block amps, there are a variety on the used market for great prices. Remember, Bel Canto used to build tube products, so the CEO voices to the human voice from a tubed perspective. Bel Canto has the $50k "Black" system for the last 2 years, all class D, so their class D products have matured.

It is neither hash or bright. I had one in my system for a month with the same speakers Rebbi has. IMO it is a very solid choice in terms of performance with outstanding value.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #54 on: 18 Nov 2017, 06:34 pm »
There is no comparison between the entry level Nuprime amps today to the high end Nuforce amps of 10 years ago. Class D has made tremendous progress in recent years.

who?me?

« Reply #55 on: 18 Nov 2017, 06:51 pm »
I was thinking the same thing- about a hybrid integrated amp, every for the Triode version.
I haven't tried the Vincent 237, but I had had a BAT VK-300 SE hybrid.

I did not use them with the Spatials, but they would be very good combo I think.
Another "hybrid system" that an owner of the M3Triode masters uses a Schiit Freya preamp ($700, runs as active or passive, tube or no tube options: all options already built in, so you just flip a switch) with a pair of Schiit Vidar mono blocks ($700 each, 100w each i think).

Over the last 18+ months with the M3 TS's and now the TM's I have cycled through a lot of combination including SS and tube preamps matched with SS, tube and Class D amps.  I always come back to the DAC10/ST-10 combo as the best match.  If the IDA-16 gets you close that is direction I would go in.  I also have an IDA-8, but as it has been boxed up since I got the 10 combo I have never tried it with the Spatial's. If you could find a hybrid integrated with enough juice that would also be an interesting combo, but short of the Vincent 237 I am not aware of one that's widely available. I've got a hybrid Kora integrated in my Office system with Reynaud speakers but since it's only 60 wpc I feel certain it wouldn't be enough for the Spatial's due to the volume of the room the Spatial's are in.  In the end it will be about what matches best with the Spatial's and not what other members have found to sound good with other speakers.

who?me?

« Reply #56 on: 18 Nov 2017, 06:53 pm »
Hi rebbi, here is your used LIO < $5k in our classifieds now.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153789.0
best, gary

I haven't looked into Schiit but it's an interesting idea. If I had seven or eight thousand dollars sitting around I might buy one of those Vinnie Rossi LIO units with some upgrades, but from a budgetary standpoint that's not going to happen anytime soon.  :duh:

rebbi

« Reply #57 on: 18 Nov 2017, 07:23 pm »
I was thinking the same thing- about a hybrid integrated amp, every for the Triode version.
I haven't tried the Vincent 237, but I had had a BAT VK-300 SE hybrid.

I did not use them with the Spatials, but they would be very good combo I think.
Another "hybrid system" that an owner of the M3Triode masters uses a Schiit Freya preamp ($700, runs as active or passive, tube or no tube options: all options already built in, so you just flip a switch) with a pair of Schiit Vidar mono blocks ($700 each, 100w each i think).

Clayton recommended Schiit to me as an option. Either Ragnarok integrated or a Vidar with one of their preamps. Not sure what to make of Schiit. Great reviews, especially for their DAC’s but end user opinions seem a little mixed. Clayton also spoke highly of Odyssey products. Spoke to Klaus and he sounds like a great guy and his gear has a stellar reputation. Only hesitation is that his integrated amps have only one input and no volume remote; not dealbreakers but factored in to my thinking.

Thanks for all the valuable information!!
Hi rebbi, here is your used LIO < $5k in our classifieds now.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153789.0
best, gary

Saw that one! But it’s only a preamp; owner says speaker binding posts may not even be functional.  :wtf:

JackD

« Reply #58 on: 18 Nov 2017, 08:36 pm »
He bought it as a preamp/headphone amp.  Check with Vinnie he may can reconfigure the internal wiring. 

RPM123

« Reply #59 on: 18 Nov 2017, 09:16 pm »
You could try one of these if you can wait about 5 weeks: Tavish Design Minotaur Direct-Coupled Hybrid Integrated Amplifier. https://tavishdesign.com/collections/all