Speaker audition - Finale

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Speaker auditions
« Reply #20 on: 6 Apr 2012, 08:57 pm »
What exactly is wrong with the PMC tweeters? Too dull maybe?

BrysTony

« Reply #21 on: 6 Apr 2012, 09:37 pm »

:scratch: Uh --- nothing is wrong with PMC tweeters.

T

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #22 on: 6 Apr 2012, 09:40 pm »
What exactly is wrong with the PMC tweeters?

In a word, nothing. PMC's are a different beast from B&W's and ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. If the OP prefers the B&W approach in his situation, that's his thing and more power to him.

D.D.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #23 on: 6 Apr 2012, 10:05 pm »

There is nothing wrong with the PMC MB2i tweeter. In fact, I spent a small fortune to step up from the MB2 precisely to get the new tweeter. Some people think it is not dull, but rather too bright. It's just that I prefer the sound of the B&W 685 tweeter. I find it clearer and smoother. Others might disagree.

Dave

DaveNote

« Reply #24 on: 6 Apr 2012, 10:13 pm »
In a word, nothing. PMC's are a different beast from B&W's and ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. If the OP prefers the B&W approach in his situation, that's his thing and more power to him.

D.D.

D.D. I like both my entry level B&W and my high end PMC. My point was that although I agree that the PMCs are whole different beasts (I love mine), the B&Ws sound very good - in a different way. My post was not meant to suggest that I have some problem with B&Ws; the opposite is true. Chicago is concerned it seems because he wants one model of speaker to do it all. Maybe there are speakers like that, but I've not heard one.

Dave

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #25 on: 7 Apr 2012, 12:25 am »
Ok, thanks.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #26 on: 7 Apr 2012, 03:33 am »
My post was not meant to suggest that I have some problem with B&Ws; the opposite is true. Dave

Never crossed my mind, Dave.  :thumb:

D.D.

Chicago

« Reply #27 on: 7 Apr 2012, 08:52 pm »
Thanks to all for the ideas, education and assistance. 

In hindsight it is apparent I have been looking for too much out of one set of speakers, at least in my price range.  I also don't have the depth of experience with equipment that most of you folks have and it makes it much more difficult to describe what I am looking for.  I know it when I hear it but I have no clue how to describe it.  It was a surprise  for me to learn I can be in musical nirvana with great speakers with certain music and have good (not phenomenal) sound with other types of music.  I have been continuing to educate myself by reading and visiting a few forums and it all has helped.  I finally understand why I see photos of folks music rooms and see two or three sets of speakers and a variety of amps/pre-amps and sources.

I never got the PMC's to my house for an audition.  At the store I eliminated them from consideration and after a few days with the 803s I wanted to try the OB1i's and they had sold.  From the research I have done on line it looks like I have to make a 10 hour drive to Toronto to hear them again and listen to the PB1i's.  Apparently there are two dealers in the U.S. that carry them in their showrooms, one in CA and one in N.Y city.  Seems strange for such a highly thought of speaker but I see other expensive speakers that are just sold direct.  Do you folks attend shows to hear this gear?

Thanks Again, Mike

Chicago

« Reply #28 on: 12 Apr 2012, 03:13 am »
After a week of listening to both the 803s and 803 Diamond I have concluded either one would suit my needs but I really do like the additional base and clarity of the Diamonds.  To my ear they also have a smoother more cohesive sound.  I should add that as time passed I noticed less of the harshness on the 803s. 

At this point I am not sure which way I am going to go but I can be happy with the 803s and would be pretty much in nirvana with the diamonds.  The dealer program of allowing you to trade up for 12 months with a full credit takes any sting out of purchasing the 803s and longing for the diamonds.

Thanks again for the assistance and thoughts.

DaveNote

« Reply #29 on: 12 Apr 2012, 11:56 am »
After a week of listening to both the 803s and 803 Diamond I have concluded either one would suit my needs but I really do like the additional base and clarity of the Diamonds.  To my ear they also have a smoother more cohesive sound.  I should add that as time passed I noticed less of the harshness on the 803s. 

At this point I am not sure which way I am going to go but I can be happy with the 803s and would be pretty much in nirvana with the diamonds.  The dealer program of allowing you to trade up for 12 months with a full credit takes any sting out of purchasing the 803s and longing for the diamonds.

Thanks again for the assistance and thoughts.

Chicago, you will be very happy with your choice. One of the comforting things about speakers is that you tend to grow accustomed to the sound that is available to you. With the exception of a pair of Missions I once bought, I've liked what I've owned. It has been my experience that when I change speakers, I usually seek roughly the same kind of sound I've had, but look for improvements in the same basic signature. My preference is a sound that I call linear, meaning that there is not single frequency range that appears to be emphasized over another. Then I look for differences in clarity, soundstage, etc.

B&W makes wonderful speakers and you will not be disappointed I'm sure.

Dave

Chicago

« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2012, 03:42 am »
Chicago, you will be very happy with your choice. One of the comforting things about speakers is that you tend to grow accustomed to the sound that is available to you. With the exception of a pair of Missions I once bought, I've liked what I've owned. It has been my experience that when I change speakers, I usually seek roughly the same kind of sound I've had, but look for improvements in the same basic signature. My preference is a sound that I call linear, meaning that there is not single frequency range that appears to be emphasized over another. Then I look for differences in clarity, soundstage, etc.

B&W makes wonderful speakers and you will not be disappointed I'm sure.

Dave

Dave + all the others who offered their thoughts:
I placed an order for the 803 Diamonds today.  I was going to spilt up the cost by getting the 803s and upgrading in a year, but at the end of the day I stretched the budget and got what I really wanted.  Now I have to wait for delivery and then go through whatever break in period there is.  However, that is a good problem.

Mike

Rod_S

« Reply #31 on: 13 Apr 2012, 11:39 am »
Congrats!

DaveNote

« Reply #32 on: 13 Apr 2012, 01:00 pm »
Dave + all the others who offered their thoughts:
I placed an order for the 803 Diamonds today.  I was going to spilt up the cost by getting the 803s and upgrading in a year, but at the end of the day I stretched the budget and got what I really wanted.  Now I have to wait for delivery and then go through whatever break in period there is.  However, that is a good problem.

Mike

Mike: Buying above your planned limit? Been there, done that - many times. Buying within your planned limit, but not getting what you want? Been there, done that - many times. Never, ever, been disappointed buying what I wanted. Always have kicked myself for staying in budget, but not getting what I wanted.

My guess? Once you have our 803s in place, you're never going to miss the extra money you paid.

Dave

kbuzz3

« Reply #33 on: 14 Apr 2012, 02:52 am »
Thanks to all for the ideas, education and assistance. 

In hindsight it is apparent I have been looking for too much out of one set of speakers, at least in my price range.  I also don't have the depth of experience with equipment that most of you folks have and it makes it much more difficult to describe what I am looking for.  I know it when I hear it but I have no clue how to describe it.  It was a surprise  for me to learn I can be in musical nirvana with great speakers with certain music and have good (not phenomenal) sound with other types of music.  I have been continuing to educate myself by reading and visiting a few forums and it all has helped.  I finally understand why I see photos of folks music rooms and see two or three sets of speakers and a variety of amps/pre-amps and sources.

I never got the PMC's to my house for an audition.  At the store I eliminated them from consideration and after a few days with the 803s I wanted to try the OB1i's and they had sold.  From the research I have done on line it looks like I have to make a 10 hour drive to Toronto to hear them again and listen to the PB1i's.  Apparently there are two dealers in the U.S. that carry them in their showrooms, one in CA and one in N.Y city.  Seems strange for such a highly thought of speaker but I see other expensive speakers that are just sold direct.  Do you folks attend shows to hear this gear?

Thanks Again, Mike

Who is the pmc nyc dealer?

Chicago

« Reply #34 on: 14 Apr 2012, 04:39 pm »
Who is the pmc nyc dealer?

I don't recall the name, but the distributor in CA told me who it was.  So if you call them they will provide you with the info.

Mike

tim92gts

« Reply #35 on: 15 Apr 2012, 10:09 am »
I don't recall the name, but the distributor in CA told me who it was.  So if you call them they will provide you with the info.

Mike
It was Audio Classics, worth a search, i think there are half a dozen throughout USA.
Tim

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #36 on: 15 Apr 2012, 06:55 pm »
 Way to go Chicago. If I ever leave my JBLs the 803D is my choice for sure. Enjoy.... :thumb:

Chicago

Re: Speaker audition - Finale
« Reply #37 on: 11 May 2012, 03:30 am »
The diamonds arrived about three weeks ago and I can now fully appreciate my Bryston 4B SST, BP-25 and BCD-1.  Very pleased on all fronts and the speakers are breaking in nicely.  It took me a couple of years to assemble all of this and I am going to start saving up for the BDP/BDA combo.  This will require a little better budgeting because I am currently purchasing new C.D's at an alarming rate for more ear candy.  I have a few more tweaks for the current system, another set of balanced cables and better speaker cable.  This stuff is addictive. 

Do they have a 12 step program for stereoholics?

DaveNote

« Reply #38 on: 11 May 2012, 12:06 pm »
Do they have a 12 step program for stereoholics?

It is an addiction as well as being a hobby and there is a three step program for audiophiles:

1. You spend an inordinate amount time and money in pursuit of "the better sound".
2. You go broke.
3. You die with a smile on your face.

Congratulations on your new buy and on your early steps on the road to a happy demise.

Dave

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #39 on: 11 May 2012, 12:35 pm »
  Nice choices.....enjoy.  ( are the diamonds on an 803 or 804)? :drool: