Line 2A Stereo Line Preamplifier Kit Completed

hobbybuddy

Line 2A Stereo Line Preamplifier Kit Completed
« on: 6 Nov 2006, 06:53 pm »
This is my first post on the Circle. I am  a retired veterinarian and have started fiddling with DIY Audio to keep my hands busy. This kit seemed a good place to start as i was anxious to add a 6SN7 preamp to my growing collection of tube gear. I had been frustrated by the fact that most kits cost more than decent quality used equipment that is available on eBay or audiogon. I also wanted to try a lower gain preamp with my Audio Research VS 55 amp that hummed with my other high gain preamps.
  Well, in short, mission accomplished. The unit went together with few difficulties and the few problems i had were due to my not following directions. Lloyd's directions are very thorough and well written. I only had to ask advice on two occasions and both problems were quickly solved. This guy seems very accessable !!
  Now for the sound. This thing is quiet. At first it seemed too quiet. Probably the Black Gates burning in. No more humming VS 55 !  The Conrad-Johnson PV 12 and the Hagtech linestage both use 12AU7 tubes but both seemed to give the AR amp the humms. I have to say the Line 2A gives no ground to these good sounding units. Highs, Lows Soundstage--it's all right there--and this thing is not broke in yet.
  I have done some preliminary comparisons between the 12 and 6 SN7 tubes and really don't hear alot of difference. I'll post later after more extensive "testing".
  Finally, some "feedback" points. I didn't get along totally with preamp tube sockets. The power supply tube went in pretty well but the signal tubes refused to seat until i "dilated" the pin sockets with a small screw driver. They still aren't , i don't know , solid i guess. That's probably partly due to this units size and weight. A stiff interconnect will push it around ! I may mount both units on a pedestal in order to stabilize them. But, hey, that is maybe the biggest gee wizz about this this is that it already sounds great, now let's customize and see if we can do even better.
  In summary, is this a Giant Killer? No, don't think so. But for <$600 USD and you get play? Way cool.
respectfully submitted
buddy

Brad

Re: Line 2A Stereo Line Preamplifier Kit Completed
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2006, 08:00 pm »
Hi Buddy,

Welcome to Audiocircle.
Always great to hear of someone having good success with one of Dr. Lloyd's products....

Did you build the Ultra 2 or the Ultra 2 SE?  Since you mentioned Blackgates, I'm guessing you have the 2SE.

hobbybuddy

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2006, 08:03 pm »
Right,
  should be Line 2A SE
tried to copy right off the manual and still got it wrong
newbie oversight

Berndt

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2006, 08:09 pm »
another welcome for Buddy :thumb:
The mapletree experience has been great for me as well.
You might consider introducing yourself on the starting block.
Did you have a specialty when you were a vet?

hobbybuddy

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2006, 08:39 pm »
Bernt,
  i did dairy cows. very physical work.
i'll introduce later today
thanx for the welcome
buddy

Berndt

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2006, 10:38 pm »
Dairy, that would qualify for a dirtiest jobs show.
Grew up with 150 milking head, and don't miss it a bit!
The mapletree stuff has a different scale.
I don't notice much difference between the 6v and 12v tubes, mostly the prices for chic 6v 6sn7's is higher priced than I would want to pay. Keep us posted on your rectifier and output tube rolling experiments.
What are your sources and what about your speakers?
I put a 50$ signal power cord on and got more warmth and a deeper soundstage.

hobbybuddy

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2006, 02:36 pm »
Bernt,
  only if you consider blood, pus, urine and feces dirty.  :D i don't miss it either ;it being the filth , good people in the dairy industry, though.
  Mapletree will likely get more of my money, this thing worked out good for me. i'm trying to decide if i should tweak this unit or just do the whole thing again with heavier case and generic parts. it's such a simple design--simple as in not complicated. Dr Lloyd works out the complexities , and i kinda like the smell of solder.
  my sources are a Cary DVD 6 and a little Sony NE-20 Walkman. Cary is my reference player that ends in 3a De Capos driven by a Cary Rocket 88. the walkman is in my garage system the ends in a pair of KEF 104.2's driven by the VS 55. i am in the process of updating the crossovers on the KEF's. hope to photo-doc that someday.

Dmason

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2006, 02:47 pm »
Good to hear. That design has fascinated me since I came to know it. Dr. Peppard "gets it," I think. The mono 6V6 amps are even more interesting. The 6V6 is a really unbelievably musical tube sound. If your apetite is whetted for more, I would look hard at those things. Fun to build and what a reward they'd be.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2006, 03:03 pm »
Doc D,

I was one of the few to hear the Mapletree this past weekend...Dr. Lloyd does indeed get it.  It truly revamped everything sonically for the better - for $800 (WITH, from what Berndt tells me is very competent phono) you can't ask for anything more than that.

It's truly excellent / excellent value.  Cute as a button, too (Berndt's is red with very nice wood accents chosen by his wife).

Color me impressed  :)

Berndt

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2006, 02:18 am »
Good to hear. That design has fascinated me since I came to know it. Dr. Peppard "gets it," I think. The mono 6V6 amps are even more interesting. The 6V6 is a really unbelievably musical tube sound. If your apetite is whetted for more, I would look hard at those things. Fun to build and what a reward they'd be.
My appetite is wet.
If I decided to build a second system around the 6V6, what would you suggest for a speaker?
I currently love my magnepan smgas, and I own a uncompleted "kit" the raw acoustics RA8. (which are 95 db)
I have owwned many jbls and bigger klipschs in the past, albiet w/o the mapletree front end.
I would love to hear what you are talking about, anyone says musical and my ears perk up.

Dmason

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2006, 02:51 am »
I believe anything would sound good with that circuit. PP 6V6 is a VERY well understood circuit. It likely needs only about 3db of NF to really lock it in, but maybe less, or more. His kit has the good Hammond 1600? transformers, nice Hexfreds, Dr Lloyd has thought of everything, so there is TONS of magnetic headroom in those things, and a really stiff, clean, fast, ripple-free power rails. They are one Big Mama 10 watts. I love those things. And they have serious Kool Factor.

I think Altec 604E's in a 65ft^3 folded pipe might do the trick... :thumb: You could get Max Flat = 15Hz with those, and the Mapletree 6v6 would drive the daylights outta them. Have listening sessions in the high school auditorium.

Seriously, just about anything would sound good. Not sure about the Maggies, as they are a ~purely resistive load @4 Ohms. But build and try.  If you don't love, I would take them.
Hope this helps.