What Sounds Particularly Good on Your M3 Turbo S

James Edward

What Sounds Particularly Good on Your M3 Turbo S
« on: 10 May 2019, 10:40 am »
What do you find has particularly great synergy with the M3’s? It can be either a genre or specific album. My musical taste runs the gamut, so feel free to suggest anything. I know what I like on them, but I’d like a few new choices rather than my same old war horses.
I hate to exclude anything in a request like this, but the one thing I’m not a fan of is the ‘audiophile female vocal’ such as Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, Lyn Stanley, etc.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Birdbrain

Re: What Sounds Particularly Good on Your M3 Turbo S
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2019, 01:03 pm »
Nik Bartsch's Ronin, Dead Moon, Charles Mingus, The Monkees, Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives, Andrew Hill, Wanda Jackson, Robert Palmer, The Pentangle, Hellborg Lane Sipe, Iron and Wine, Dread Zeppelin, Herbie Hancock, Kaleidoscope, John Zorn, Nuggets Vol. 1 & 2, Abba, that kind of stuff.

Oh yeah, the Beatles and the Stones.

yakbob

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2019, 04:14 pm »
Diana Krall is like nails on a chalkboard for me so we have that in common.

Some of my faves on the M3 Turbo S:

Ron Carter and Jim Hall: Telepathy (double album in very different sized venues which the M3 pulls off spectacularly)

Steely Dan: Two Against Nature

Jill Scott: Experience 826+ (double album, mostly live, some studio, excellent Hidden Beach recording quality)

Charlie Haden/Kenny Barron: Night and the City

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2019, 04:36 pm »
Diana Krall is like nails on a chalkboard for me so we have that in common.

Some of my faves on the M3 Turbo S:

Ron Carter and Jim Hall: Telepathy (double album in very different sized venues which the M3 pulls off spectacularly)

Love this album. One of my go to's when just wanting to feel the tone. Another great one for feeling tone, and more of a toe-tapper, is Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue. I actually don't own Spatial speakers. Just doing some research for a possible future purchase and saw this thread and couldn't help but comment. I can imagine these albums sound awesome on these speakers. Enjoy!

yakbob

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2019, 07:33 pm »
Thanks for the tip on Kenny Burrell's album. I'll seek that out!

Also wanted to add Bobby McFerrin's Vocabularies album for dynamic range, recording quality, and amazing vocal harmonies.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2019, 07:59 pm »
   Dianna Krall should not sound like that. It is not the recording or the speaker.

charles

SFDude

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2019, 08:04 pm »
I find electronic music from sycn24, Carbon Based Lifeforms, etc sound particularly nice on the M3TS. Reasonably full range and expansive sound when the recording calls for it.

-dave

James Edward

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2019, 09:37 pm »
   Dianna Krall should not sound like that. It is not the recording or the speaker.

charles
Charles, I don’t think he meant the sound quality literally; he meant he does not like Diana Krall. And neither do I. There, I said it.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

yakbob

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2019, 11:14 pm »
Correct James,  thanks for the backup.

I won't deny that she has talent, but her styling feels like the musical equivalent of an actress in a soap opera. It's just too much and overacted.

aldoallen

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2019, 12:11 am »
I have the M4 Triode Masters and find that Tony Rice sounds really good. The CD Tone Poems is a favorite of mine.
 Morning Sun is great.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tony+rice+morning+sun+on+youtube&view=detail&mid=9141C639161E603FFA1B9141C639161E603FFA1B&FORM=VIRE

Hopefully the above link works. If not, Morning Sun by Tony Rice is on youtube.

Al

harley.guy07

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2019, 03:03 am »
I don't really have favorites, I like the way these spealers can really show everything on the recording. From the instruments and instrument amplifiers, and also the way the recording was mixed and mastered. I really like how even the same band from album to album can have a totally different sound just by the changing these aspects, you can still tell who the bands are because how they play and their sound. These speakers really bring out the atmosphere the instruments were played in. If set up properly and all your associated equipment is up to the these speakers will allow you to relive the songs being played.

I have re listened to all my music on these speakers and have really found that all my favorite albums really shine. Don't get me wrong bad recordings are bad recordings but if they took the care to do it right then these speakers are great at showing it.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2019, 06:22 pm »
Anyone playing hard rock/metal/punk on their M3's?

How about more experimental stuff like Nordvargr or Merzbow or Nurse With Would or Kollaps, stuff like that?

erniek

« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2019, 04:19 pm »
I have M4 Turbos with a single REL t7 sub set to low volume and I still cannot believe how good bass from bands like Mickey Hart, Dead can Dance and Pink Floyd sounds. Percussive jazz/world from bands like Hadouk, Bob James, Loreena McKennitt, Steve Mcdonald etc. really have great impact on my setup. I actually do like Diana Krall but she does sound better on my KEF LS50's. 

efhjr

• Why, why, why, why are we sleeping?
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2019, 06:33 pm »
How about more experimental stuff like Nordvargr or Merzbow or Nurse With Would or Kollaps, stuff like that?

Well, I have a pair of M4 Triode Masters and not M3s, but I do listen to a lot of music like that. Particular favorites for the M4s include Coil's "Music to Play in the Dark" albums, and NWW's "I Was No Longer His Dominant." When I get the chance to turn off the lights and play it loud, I listen to Robert Rich or Lustmord.

Metal stuff, like Car Bomb or Confessor, is also a lot of fun with these speakers. I find that their speed and coherence are particularly good for busy music like that.

harley.guy07

« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2019, 11:03 pm »
I do find that i listen deeper into the recording with my M3 T S's and can really pick up on the studio room set or live setting with them. Some of the music i thought was a bad recording before kind of grew on me after upgrading to these because I was made more aware of why the recording sound the way it did. Megadeth's Rust In Peace album is a good example of a recording that I recently revisited. I used to love the music and hate the recording but with these speakers I really get more a sense of the true aspects of the recording and can appreciate it now. Many recordings from my collection are this way. I have regained an appreciation for a lot of recordings because my Spatial's.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2019, 03:26 pm »
Well, I have a pair of M4 Triode Masters and not M3s, but I do listen to a lot of music like that. Particular favorites for the M4s include Coil's "Music to Play in the Dark" albums, and NWW's "I Was No Longer His Dominant." When I get the chance to turn off the lights and play it loud, I listen to Robert Rich or Lustmord.

Metal stuff, like Car Bomb or Confessor, is also a lot of fun with these speakers. I find that their speed and coherence are particularly good for busy music like that.

Nice. Now you're speaking my language. What albums or artists do you feel sounds the worst on the M4's? Like what limitations have you run into?

I opened a show for Robert Rich in 2004. He was touring for Calling Down The Sky and I had released a CD of original compositions. Really nice guy.   :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2019, 04:25 pm »
I do find that i listen deeper into the recording with my M3 T S's and can really pick up on the studio room set or live setting with them. Some of the music i thought was a bad recording before kind of grew on me after upgrading to these because I was made more aware of why the recording sound the way it did. Megadeth's Rust In Peace album is a good example of a recording that I recently revisited. I used to love the music and hate the recording but with these speakers I really get more a sense of the true aspects of the recording and can appreciate it now. Many recordings from my collection are this way. I have regained an appreciation for a lot of recordings because my Spatial's.

Well that's the WRONG direction!  The more revealing your gear is, the more flaws you hear and the less enjoyable your recordings become.  It's the audiophile way, dontchaknow?  /snark

Haha, sorry about that, for a minute there I thought I was on the Bryston forum....

efhjr

• Why, why, why, why are we sleeping?
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2019, 07:04 pm »
Nice. Now you're speaking my language. What albums or artists do you feel sounds the worst on the M4's? Like what limitations have you run into?

I opened a show for Robert Rich in 2004. He was touring for Calling Down The Sky and I had released a CD of original compositions. Really nice guy.   :thumb:

Nice. I spend a shocking amount of time listening to Rich's stuff. He just fills my brain with great stuff. He deserves much more attention than he gets right now.

I don't find limitations with the M4s so much as how they force change in my personal expectations and memories. I don't think I've listened to anything that sounds worse with Spatial speakers.

Case in point: Controlled Bleeding's "Body Samples." Harsh, crunchy energy. Glorious white/pink noise, white heat, and anger. I've listened to this CD for 28 years. I first listened to it on a very crappy mishmash of a system with Bose 301 and Acculab speakers. Very lofi, and that actually contributed to the quality of that album. Now, listening to it with M4s and a much, much more resolving system, it's a different album. Still powerful, but different. Not worse, but different. And I like it when that happens.  :lol:

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2019, 03:29 pm »
Nice. I spend a shocking amount of time listening to Rich's stuff. He just fills my brain with great stuff. He deserves much more attention than he gets right now.

I don't find limitations with the M4s so much as how they force change in my personal expectations and memories. I don't think I've listened to anything that sounds worse with Spatial speakers.

Case in point: Controlled Bleeding's "Body Samples." Harsh, crunchy energy. Glorious white/pink noise, white heat, and anger. I've listened to this CD for 28 years. I first listened to it on a very crappy mishmash of a system with Bose 301 and Acculab speakers. Very lofi, and that actually contributed to the quality of that album. Now, listening to it with M4s and a much, much more resolving system, it's a different album. Still powerful, but different. Not worse, but different. And I like it when that happens.  :lol:

Right on CB is an all time fave from their WaxTrax! era industrial stuff to their electro dub to their noise. Fantastic, this is great info

harley.guy07

« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2019, 05:28 am »
Well that's the WRONG direction!  The more revealing your gear is, the more flaws you hear and the less enjoyable your recordings become.  It's the audiophile way, dontchaknow?  /snark

Haha, sorry about that, for a minute there I thought I was on the Bryston forum....

Well thats not what i was meaning when i said that. I just mean that these speakers allow me to get closer to the music that I love and also allow me to appreciate the music and albums that i did not care for or pay much attention to before. That is by no way a Bryston type thing that is why i choose gear like Pass Labs because it is more musical and realistic to me not overly analytical and hard sounding. And in all honesty most of the people that like Bryston would not be interested in these speakers anyway because most of the people i have been around that are into the Bryston thing would not get the benefit of OB speakers or what designs like these can bring to the table