Speaker stands?

myoung

Speaker stands?
« on: 28 May 2003, 10:30 pm »
Is anyone using the Skylan stands Louis recommends on his website with Omega speakers? I've ordered the Super 3s and want them to have proper, stable support.

If not the Skylans, any other suggestions in the not-too-expensive category, say $300 max?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike

Louis O

Speaker stands?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2003, 12:52 am »
Hi Mike,

I highly recommend Skylan Stands for the Super 3. They make a 24" 2 post fillable high mass stand with a custom top plate fitted for the Super 3. The stand is very stable and a great foundation for the speaker. Noel is a great guy and ususlly discounts the price for Omega customers.

Best Regards,
Louis

JackStraw

Speaker stands?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2003, 01:49 pm »
Louis -

Have you ever tried using stands like this with your speakers?

More info can be found at http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/tweaks/speakerstands.html.

Separately, what about placement on subs as stands?

Thanks in advance for the info... you're making some beautiful speakers.

Louis O

Speaker stands?
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2003, 11:28 pm »
Hi Jackstraw,

I'm very sorry, I totally missed your post. I don't know how it got passed me. I have a pair of these stands and they are quite interesting. They do give the speakers a lot of bass. The soundstage is a little high and something you will have to get used too.

Pierre at Mapleshade has a pair of Super 3s and I'm sure he is trying out all his products with them. You might want to stop by his studio to take a listen.

Many thanks for the compliments regarding the speakers. I appreciate it greatly.

Thanks again and sorry for the late reply.

Best Regards,
Louis

JackStraw

Speaker stands?
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2003, 12:06 am »
Thanks for the response -- I didn't think that you were avoiding the question.  :)

I would guess that these stands would be better suited for the TS series than the Super 3, since the TS's are deeper front to back. This should allow more flexibility in tilt adjustment, and therefore the ability to tinker with the "high soundstage" that you mentioned.

I'd love to stop by Pierre's studio, but I'm about to move and my days in MD are pretty much numbered.

Louis O

Speaker stands?
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2003, 12:51 am »
Hi Jackstraw,

Thanks I appreciate it greatly.

Your right about the tilt adjustment with the Super 3s. Not enough surface on the bottom to get them properly tilted.

I've tried them with TS2s and you can adjust them much better, but you need a good bit of room away from the speakers so you don't have to tilt them to far up. When they are tilted up high the soundstage seems to be over your head, kind of weird sounding. The bass is very strong and at this piont I would try moving the whole rig far away from the back wall. Too much room gain could be a bad thing.

Good luck with the move and talk to you soon,
Louis

witchdoctor

Speaker stands?
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2003, 03:09 pm »
I own the Mapleshade stands. They have Paradigm Active 40 speakers on them. They totally transformed the sound of these speakers. Unbelievable!!
I strongly reccomend you audition them before deciding, you get 30 days.
Doc

Louis O

Speaker stands?
« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2003, 05:13 pm »
Update on the maple bedrock stands. I was talking to Pierre about the stands recently and he has a set of Super 3. He had told me they did work very well. Also he will be putting together a package with the stands and Super 3s with Omega Mikro internal cable configured in a special way.

Thanks,
Louis