Modded Power Supply for SB Touch! Remarkable difference...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I just wanted to share with you guys an experience I recently had that just proves to me again how important clean power is when it comes to audio.

I just got a SB Touch and when I hooked it up and used it for the first time I was shocked at how badly the soundstage had shrunken and become so narrow. I prefer great imaging and wide soundstage with my equipment and the whole holographic 3D thing, thats why I got tubes to enhance that. The stock power supply of the touch was just strangling its potential and I knew right away, because it happened before with my DUET so who do you call.....Wayne!!

I immediately sent up a flare and within minutes got a message from my power consultant..LOL..Wayne at Bolder. When my duet first arrived I was loving it and Wayne sent me a PM about a $15 linear power supply from PE and he said it would improve the sound. I thought, "Yeah right, how is a power supply gonna do ANYTHING to improve the sound..I was amazed at the SQ improvement my small investment made, I told others who tried it and had similar results, so it wasn't in my head!

Wayne told me he had something in the shop he could whip together and I said "Yes Please, this is going back if not"...FF to a week later and a box arrives with a large Brick power supply all black no name--it was my audio "Black Box" and right away the improvement was evident. The soundstage immediately widened and heightened, no more narrow, one dimensional boring sound like the week before. A note inside the box said "enjoy and give it a few hundred hours to fully break in" ...well I haven't stopped listening, the improvement is exactly what I was hoping for and turned my seemingly bad choice into a mighty might of a digital transport....it improves a little bit everyday, to where the sound now is just coming from the side of the room where my stereo is, and if I sit in the "spot" the imaging is superb and I'm hearing things seemingly coming from almost behind me at times, and I'm amazed again at what a huge difference cleaner, better supplied, electricity can do for the sound of my equipment. I really honestly don't know how it works, what it does to clean, or adjust the power going to the touch and I believe he said it was a Jerome PS he was going to play with, I'm sure Wayne will jump in here and explain anything anybody may want to know about these modded power supplies and I highly recommend to anyone buying there first, second, or third SB item to check these out if you haven't already, totally worth every cent. Thanks Wayne!!! :thumb: :thumb:

TJHUB

Re: Modded Power Supply for SB Touch! Remarkable difference...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2011, 03:18 pm »
As I stated in the other thread, I too am amazed at the improvements from the analog outs of my Touch just using an unmodified Jerome PS.  The stock wall-wart switcher really does crush the potential of the Touch.  And I'm not just saying the PS improves the Touch analog sound quality, it actually takes it to a more than respectable level nearing the performance of my DAC.  I remain shocked at this.  My sound stage went from inside of my speakers to a few feet outside of them which is identical to the performance of my DAC.  Clarity and separation greatly improved as well.

Please note that before adding the Jerome PS to my Touch, I had done the Soundcheck software mods and my Touch is connected to my wired network.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2011, 03:32 pm »
What was the model number of the Jerome?

thanks
David

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2011, 03:50 pm »
Thank you for the comments, Ed.

The Jerome Industries power supply is available surplus from Herbach and Rademan for $10.00. They do have a $15.00 minimum so buy two and have a spare.

I have been modding those supplies for some time now. When Ed posted about getting a Touch, I remembered I had a spare Jerome on hand. I went through it again and this time I replaced the rectifier, tried some different output caps and different bypass caps. I also changed the output connector to fit the Touch.

In listening to it before I sent it to Ed, I was very pleased with the improvement. I have a Welborne 5 volt PS I keep on hand for comparison. The newly modded Jerome was much tighter in the bass and cleaner in the highs with less sizzle.

I am now offering the improved mod through my website for $150.00. You supply the Jerome.

If anyone who has a modded Jerome wants the upgrade, it will cost $50.00 plus shipping.

Please contact me about the upgrade to schedule a time to send it in.

The modded Jerome is probably the best buy for the Touch and SB2/3. The best sounding PS is the Deluxe PS I make. It is also close to $1,000.00.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2011, 03:30 pm by Wayne1 »

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2011, 05:13 pm »
Thank you Wayne!!! When I saw your PM the other day, I said to myself ..."saved". LOL.... :thumb:

cliffy

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2011, 05:20 pm »
The modded Jerome is probably the best buy for the Touch and SB2/3. The best sounding PS is the Deluxe PS I make. It is also close to $1,000.00.

How does the Elpac fit in this hierarchyof Power Supplies?

Kinger

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2011, 05:56 pm »
What do these power supplies do to the sound of the touch if you are using the digital outs instead of the analog?  I'm sending my signal to an EE DAC, but if an impressive improvement can be made by just inserting a 15 power supply, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2011, 02:46 am »
How does the Elpac fit in this hierarchy of Power Supplies?

The ELPAC WM-220 has been discontinued and they are rather rare on the surplus market.

Before the latest round of mods, I would have given the edge to the modded ELPAC. Currently, I would say the modded Jerome is edging it out. The modded Jerome also allows you to use different AC power cables. It gives you an added ability to tune the sound of the PS to your gear.

What do these power supplies do to the sound of the touch if you are using the digital outs instead of the analog?

Ed's comments and mine are referring to using the digital output of the Touch into a DAC. In my case I have used the modded Jerome into a stock and modded EE DAC.

I normally use a Deluxe PS I build. The modded Jerome is an improvement over the stock PS, and I feel it sounds better than the Welborne supply. It is not close to the Deluxe.

The stock Jerome comes with a DIN connector on the DC cable. It would have to be removed and the correct DC connector soldered on. That is part of the mod that I do to the Jerome.

Any time you can remove a switching power supply from your system, I have found the sound will improve.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2011, 03:46 am »
Good point Wayne and I didn't think to mention it but I use the digital outs and a Pangea AC-14 power cable in each piece of gear I have except my DAC, I use a Wywires Juice power cable in it.
  :thumb:

shadowlight

« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2011, 01:39 pm »
Thanks Ed for starting the thread.  Power supplies purchased and will be on the way to Wayne tomorrow  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 2 Sep 2011, 03:53 pm »
shadowlight my friend who got me started hearing new things I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!!! Mine gets better and better..... :thumb:

pansixt

« Reply #11 on: 2 Sep 2011, 04:30 pm »
Ed,

I received my Jerome PS and will be sending to Wayne for the mod.

I am in no big hurry, so that I may be more able to recognize the improvement after using the stock PS for some time.

Phil A even suggested getting together for a PS shootout in the near future.

James

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 2 Sep 2011, 04:40 pm »
That would be a neat idea....just do an informal you play yours, then I'll play mine deal.... Cool. :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2011, 04:57 pm »
Ed,

I received my Jerome PS and will be sending to Wayne for the mod.

I am in no big hurry, so that I may be more able to recognize the improvement after using the stock PS for some time.

Phil A even suggested getting together for a PS shootout in the near future.

James

James - I might even get the Jerome and have it modded too.  Since I use the power supplies for HDMI audio de-embedders (one in the basement system and one in the main system) as well as the Touch in the main system, I'm using the stock Touch power supply on the de-embedder in the secondary basement system (better than what came with the de-embedder).  Even though I don't use the basement system tons, at some point in the future (maybe in a year or a bit more) I'll likely have something better than the Touch and the Touch can get rotated to the basement.  I have the Welbourne and the Channel Islands (which I've not tried on the Touch - using it with the de-embedder in the main system).  I keep watching to see if there is someone selling something better used but have not run into a deal yet and the modded Jerome is not an expensive option.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2011, 05:06 pm »
Phil, James-- I have a DUET receiver and Parts Express PS-both unmodded and its ONLY the receiver NO remote. Do you guys think I should sell them, or hold on to them for I don't know what actually...LOL..??

pansixt

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2011, 05:15 pm »
Ed- I'm the wrong person to ask about that.

I am the Big Pack-rat. It is painful for me to get rid of anything.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2011, 05:17 pm »
Can the Jerome PS be configured to power a 5v USB device, like an ipod dock?

Wayne1

« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2011, 06:02 pm »
Can the Jerome PS be configured to power a 5v USB device, like an ipod dock?

The Jerome should be able to power any device that wants 5 volts at 2 amps or less.

What sort of power connector does the dock have?

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2011, 12:09 pm »
Ed have never even seen the Duet.  Before the Touch was announced I paid no attention to Squeezebox products.  When I sold my Bryston CD player and got the Bryston DAC the Touch was announced shortly thereafter. I had friends who had heard prior Squeezebox products and the concensus was it was good for background music

Wayne1

« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2011, 01:32 pm »
Phil, James-- I have a DUET receiver and Parts Express PS-both unmodded and its ONLY the receiver NO remote. Do you guys think I should sell them, or hold on to them for I don't know what actually...LOL..??

I'm not sure about how big your place is, Ed. I have my modded DUET connected to a secondary system that feeds outdoor speakers. If you are not planning a second system, I would suggest selling the DUET. Keep the power supply. You may find it useful to power something else in the future.