Eastern Electric DAC mods

Carlman

Re: Eastern Electric DAC mods
« Reply #20 on: 6 May 2010, 07:00 pm »
Sweet!  :hyper: Really looking forward to hearing both forms of the DAC and being able to see Bill! :)  Very sorry to hear you can't make it, Wayne.. sure would be nice.  Get a GOOD physical therapist for your wife that cares and knows their stuff... that patella is a delicate and important little thing... and it's complicated how it attaches and moves.  I wish her the best for the operation and the recovery.

When we get a date on the DAC review, I will host a gathering.  I have room for up to 3 couples to spend the night comfortably.  Wives are always welcome as it will allow my wife someone to talk to about non-audio stuff. ;)  So, if anyone wants to make the trip, you're welcome to crash here.  There is a large mall just around the corner and plenty to do here.

My room is pretty dialed-in and broken-in at the moment.  I have no plans for changes so it'll be about as good as it gets.

Looking forward to hearing the progress!

-Carl

Wayne1

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:25 am »
The mods on the EE DAC are very slowly progressing. I have decided on the op-amp selections. Mods have been made to the I/E section and the solid state output section. I currently have the solid state output sounding much better than the slightly modded tube section.

The Paul Hynes regulators have been delayed.

I will be working on a fairly major change to the tube section next.

I am hoping the new regulators will arrive early July.

Wayne1

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2010, 09:16 pm »
The tube output of the EE DAC has undergone some fairly major revisions. The operating current has been increased so the tube is running more in it's comfort zone. The output impedance has been reduced. The output coupling caps have been replaced. There is quite a bit more micro dynamics. The macro dynamics have increased quite a bit, as well. The output caps will be taking some time to break-in. There is a Teflon bypass cap involved, so I can be real sure about the balance of sound for a few weeks. Everything I am hearing is pointing to more resolution without losing any warmth.

Whatever tubes you are currently using, I would suggest you try them all over again, if you get this mod. With the different operating points, the tube will sound different. The DAC I/E chip has been changed which will also change the sonic relationship with both the tube and solid state section.

Most of the passive parts in the power supplies have been changed out. Next time I pull the board, I will bias the op-amps into Class A. I'm just waiting for the Paul Hynes regulators to call this one done.

I am thinking I will offer different levels of mods for the EE DAC. The complete mod with PH regs will come in around $1700.00.

A good level would be to have the tube mod done along with passive parts change and a new I/E chip. I may change my mind on this once the regulators are installed  :wink:

What does everyone else think about price points for the mods?

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2010, 09:47 pm »
Is that mod price including or excluding the price of the DAC?

Wayne1

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2010, 09:52 pm »
The roughly $1700.00 is just for the mods. No DAC included. Total price for the DAC and mods would be over $3000.00

The regulator part costs are about half of the price of the mods. Multiple PH regs are not inexpensive.

I am planning to offer other options that will use regulators better than the stock but not as expensive as the PH. They will not perform as well, but they will not cost as much.

Levi

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2010, 10:06 pm »
Thanks for the update Wayne. I don't think I can afford to mod my dac at tbe moment (other priorities). Do you think the using USB input improves the sound as good as the coax input?

Wayne1

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jun 2010, 10:20 pm »
Hello Levi,

As I mentioned, there will be lower cost mods. The mods could also be done in stages, for a bit more money. You could have the tube section done. Then send it in for passive upgrades and then for the regulators, etc.

The USB section is NOT as good as just the coax input. It does run through a PCM2706 chip first, before it gets to the Sabre chip. This will limit you to 16 bits @ 48kHz. Dynamic range, channel separation and distortion all would not be as good as the coax input.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2010, 01:09 am by Wayne1 »

Wayne1

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jul 2010, 01:16 am »
I finally received word that the Paul Hynes regulators have shipped. This is almost the last step for the "Ultimate" mods for the EE DAC.

I have installed a set of Cascoded Constant Current Sources for the tube output. Oh My! That was what the tube output needed.

I will be putting all the different mods on my website during August. Without hearing what the new regulators bring to the unit, I will have to say the bang for the buck is to rebuild the tube output stage, change the I/E opamp and upgrade the power supply caps.

If you can live without the input switching and output level control, I will suggest that those be bypassed.

Carlman

« Reply #28 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:30 pm »
There were some shipping delays due to customs so my demo stock EE DAC is showing up today.. I'm planning to burn it in a couple of weeks and have a G2G on August 8th (tentative date). 

Wayne, if you want to have any form of a modded version as part of the mix, let me know.

Anyone is welcome to join us for the gathering, I'm only a few minutes from RDU airport and I can easily accomodate overnight guests.  There is more info on that here...

Wayne1

« Reply #29 on: 27 Jul 2010, 03:56 pm »
Robin,

Bill's DAC has been set up for his system. This means one digital input only and no level control. He will be getting mods to the tube output section as well as the PH regulators.

So, no USB and a fairly hot output voltage. Probably not too compatible with your rig.

Carl,

I hope Mr. O'Connell's DAC will be finished by then. If he approves, I can ship it directly to you to start the break-in of the regulator section.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #30 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:57 pm »
Robin,

Bill's DAC has been set up for his system. This means one digital input only and no level control. He will be getting mods to the tube output section as well as the PH regulators.

So, no USB and a fairly hot output voltage. Probably not too compatible with your rig.

Carl,

I hope Mr. O'Connell's DAC will be finished by then. If he approves, I can ship it directly to you to start the break-in of the regulator section.

Wayne,

I call Dibs before anyone else. As much as I want Carl to hear your modded version of my DAC, I want to hear it before anybody. :lol:
Call me greedy, I don't care, I've been waiting and I'm really excited to hear the next level. I didn't think there could be a next nevel, I knew it was out there, just thought I'd never get the chance to hear it. I'm loving what I'm hearing already with the stock DAC and my system has never sounded better.
 I have a couple of Paul Kaplan's GS Power cords on my Monoblocks and there was a significant improvement to my system. I have also been experimenting with some Japanese Power Cords called Okutsu Denko Air3 for my preamp,DAC and power supply of the SB Touch.
 Carl will just have to live with the stock DAC for a bit. :thumb:

Jon L

« Reply #31 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:48 pm »

The USB section is NOT as good as just the coax input. It does run through a PCM2706 chip first, before it gets to the Sabre chip. This will limit you to 16 bits @ 48kHz...

If you can live without the input switching and output level control, I will suggest that those be bypassed

Sigh.  During the design stage, I fondly recall many people requesting that the EE DAC be simplified (and hopefully become cheaper) by NOT including USB (unless asynchronous and fabulous), volume control, switching, etc. 

John151

« Reply #32 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:53 pm »

Wayne,

I call Dibs before anyone else. As much as I want Carl to hear your modded version of my DAC, I want to hear it before anybody. :lol:
Call me greedy, I don't care, I've been waiting and I'm really excited to hear the next level. I didn't think there could be a next nevel, I knew it was out there, just thought I'd never get the chance to hear it. I'm loving what I'm hearing already with the stock DAC and my system has never sounded better.
 I have a couple of Paul Kaplan's GS Power cords on my Monoblocks and there was a significant improvement to my system. I have also been experimenting with some Japanese Power Cords called Okutsu Denko Air3 for my preamp,DAC and power supply of the SB Touch.

Bill - I will bring the beer (or drinks of your choosing) if you let me listen in!   :thumb:

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #33 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:55 pm »

Wayne,

Bill, I'm sure you won't be disapointed, my EE dac with just the few mods Wayne did is absolutely fantastic, so much so I almost opted out of the power regulator and tube section upgrade.

Carlman

« Reply #34 on: 28 Jul 2010, 12:29 am »
I'm fine with whatever.. I was throwing it out there to get more ears on it..  Plus, it's not like a real chore to 'live with' the EE in stock form..  :lol: 

I've got it playing now, Bill.. just got here a few hours ago.. Right out of the box I can hear some new things in the music I hadn't noticed.. I think it'll be well received.

Thanks for the opportunity to hear such a nice piece.  It looks great, too.. VERY nice case.

-C

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #35 on: 28 Jul 2010, 12:51 am »
I'm fine with whatever.. I was throwing it out there to get more ears on it..  Plus, it's not like a real chore to 'live with' the EE in stock form..  :lol: 

I've got it playing now, Bill.. just got here a few hours ago.. Right out of the box I can hear some new things in the music I hadn't noticed.. I think it'll be well received.

Thanks for the opportunity to hear such a nice piece.  It looks great, too.. VERY nice case.

-C

Now try rolling some tubes particularly a  Mullard 12au7 longplate D or square getter.

Levi

« Reply #36 on: 28 Jul 2010, 12:56 am »
Congrats on the EE DAC Carl!  Finally. 

I am currently digging the USB input using my MBP running in 64bit kernel.  :thumb:

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #37 on: 28 Jul 2010, 12:57 am »
I also noticed in another circle some degrading comments about the sabre based dacs not being able to match the AVA Insight, well let me say that I have tested a number dacs, including the AVA, and there is not one that holds a candle to this dac.

Kinger

« Reply #38 on: 28 Jul 2010, 01:34 am »
Received my EE DAC today as well.  Great looking unit and very well built.  Breaking it in now using the stock tube and plan to roll in a Mullard ECC82 after about 75 to 100 hours of burn in.

Once my CC cools off a bit from buying the DAC, the tube, a SB Touch and a new HDD for my PC to hold all my tunes, I'm thinking the DAC might be off to Wayne to disable the volume control and some other of his recommended modifications.

mchuckp

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:12 am »
I also noticed in another circle some degrading comments about the sabre based dacs not being able to match the AVA Insight, well let me say that I have tested a number dacs, including the AVA, and there is not one that holds a candle to this dac.

Kind of biased when the degrading comment comes from Frank himself.  In my eyes the vast number of comments by very reputable AC members who like the Sabre DAC speaks for itself.  I for one own two devices that implement this chip and think both sound wonderful.