Big Heavy or Hand Held amps?

2bigears

Re: Big Heavy or Hand Held amps?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jun 2018, 03:37 am »
 :D that 250 sounds cool.  Top notch.  11K my $$ is pretty hi dough. Ha.  :D

Ric Schultz

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jun 2018, 04:06 am »
You can read some reviews of the Mivera IceEdge amp on the Mivera forum.  There is someone who said they could not hear a difference between it and the Pass 250.8 and another person said he preferred it to the Modwright 150SE........interesting reading:

https://www.miveraaudio.com/forum/purepower-amplifier/purepower-icepower-1200as2-amp-listening-impressions

If you search the Mivera quarantined threads here on Audiocircle, you can read other reviews.
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2018, 07:26 am by Ric Schultz »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 2 Jun 2018, 12:35 pm »
Recommend picking speakers first based on your room/tastes/budget, then the amps that serve them best.

I've had a couple of digitals: Channel Island Audio D-100 mono-blocks (first generation) that included a beefy power supply and now Temple Audio mono-blocks that frankly are too small and inexpensive to be audiophile approved but do 70 watts of very clear sound while providing good grip to my 90 dB/w/m speakers.  To me tube and solid state both sound thick and slow compared to digital. 

Don't be an audio snob.  Get out there and audition.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jun 2018, 04:00 pm »
:D that 250 sounds cool.  Top notch.  11K my $$ is pretty hi dough. Ha.  :D

What is your budget?

There are some good deals on used Pass and MacIntosh amps on audiogon.com

These Pass Labs Monoblocks below are 60 wpc in Class A (it is underrated and can reach 130watts) and double that at 4 ohms.  These still have a warranty. I have not heard these but I have heard the Pass XA100.5 monoblocks.  They are awesome sounding amps and I am sure that the 60.5's sound similar.  Very dynamic and musical, with a to die for liquid midrange, very wide and deep sound stage.  I would not worry too  much about power.  I run Magnepan speakers and my Pass X250 almost never leaves Class A into Class AB except on brief dynamic transients. And my amp leaves Class A after about 20-25 watts.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8ii13-pass-labs-xa-60-5-mono-block-excellent-3-year-warranty-left-solid-state

Here is a review-

https://www.stereophile.com/content/pass-labs-xa605-monoblock-power-amplifier

Here is a Mac 452 amp.  I almost bought one.  It is a very nice sounding amp-

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8j2a5-mcintosh-mc452-excellent-condition-solid-state

There are also a couple of Modwright KWA150se amps for sale.  This  amp was on my short list when I bought my Pass.  I haven't heard it though.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8if2h-modwright-kwa-150se-silver-solid-state

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/modwright-kwa-150-stereo-power-amplifier-tas-199/

You live in Canada, why not look at Bryston!

2bigears

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jun 2018, 04:57 pm »
 :D thanks all.  Seems easy as pie to spend ten grand and still needing a pre. 
      The 250 is ten large and the dig monos here are the same.  Wish I could A/B them.  Both very interesting though.  Old school meets hi tech new school .   :D

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jun 2018, 07:33 pm »
I really amp a confused monkey .   :D

:lol:  I, tube, amp also confused!

2bigears

« Reply #26 on: 5 Jun 2018, 08:21 pm »
 :D if I stayed in Canada where our dollar is a buck,,,,, bryston 4 to the third with a tube pre from Don in BC.   All for under 6 large.  Big power from the big block 4B with tubes to ease the edge.  Would this work ?   :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 5 Jun 2018, 10:00 pm »
:D if I stayed in Canada where our dollar is a buck,,,,, bryston 4 to the third with a tube pre from Don in BC.   All for under 6 large.  Big power from the big block 4B with tubes to ease the edge.  Would this work ?   :D 

Again, what's the room/speakers like?  You've got this very backwards.  Pick the speakers to suit your room/tastes/budget then look for a synergistic amp.  Garnish with a preamp if you must.

2bigears

« Reply #28 on: 5 Jun 2018, 10:18 pm »
 :D I love to get good mid electronics then a speaker to match ,,,,ha.  With mid electronics it's not about the room.  If you have a treated room that would make loads of improvement.  Looking for a simple upgrade.  :D
The 10 thousand dollar amps and preamps would be a total waste if your room kills ..  :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jun 2018, 01:53 am »
Just got a new Plinius SB301 and it does not get very hot as you might expect with those large heat sinks.

Second any Pass .8 series.

The BHK was a real bust. Veiled mids and highs, tubby bass.

For Class D find a used Merrill Audio Veritas mono block set and you would be very happy. Class D has come a lonnnng way in just 5 years.

Early B.

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jun 2018, 02:26 am »
Just got a new Plinius SB301

I'm interested in hearing your impressions of this amp.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jun 2018, 02:29 am »

Sure it will work and sound great.  Of course with a small room or very efficient speakers it could be overkill but I would rather have too much power than too little.  Besides, a high powered amp will let you upgrade to larger, less efficient speakers in the future if you decide too.  Sure others will argue that if your room is small or you have very efficient speakers than why go with a brute force amp and they have a point.

Sounds like you are like me and like brute force amps that don't break a sweat.

By the way, I run a Pass X250 amp with a BAT tube preamp and I love the pairing.

Larry

2bigears

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jun 2018, 02:50 am »
 :D thanks guys.  I still lean to D's.  Just like the size and low power and not needing to warm them up for 24 hours ,   Ha.   The offer on the 4B fell through.  The search for a decent D will continue....  :D

RDavidson

« Reply #33 on: 6 Jun 2018, 12:23 pm »
I LOVE Nelson Pass's creations, BUT will admit they aren't always practical especially where heat and electricity are of concern. With that said, I picked up a (class D) PS Audio S300 earlier this year for the family room system. It's an impressive amp especially for the price. I've read that the PS Audio M700 monoblocks are quite a big step better than the S300. PM me and I'll let you know where I got my amp if you're interested in going the PS Audio route.