PI Audio Uberbuss..

KCI-JohnP

PI Audio Uberbuss..
« on: 23 Sep 2009, 04:36 pm »
After hearing all the buzz on the Magicbuss and Uberbuss from some whose ears I trust I decided to give Dave Elledge at PI Audio a call. I gotta say Dave is one helluva guy, one of the nicest I've dealt with in quite a while. He was also willing to install what ever upgrades I wanted(gotta love that!) and for a VERY fair price. I opted to have him install a Furutech gold plated 20A IEC inlet as well as two Oyaide SWO-GX outlets in that baby. After he finished the build he decided to put some hours on it with a 1/2 h.p. electric motor to help with the break in. A day or two later I got an email from Dave stating that he really loved what he was hearing and he jokingly threatened to keep it!! Though he was just kidding with me about keeping it he did say that he really loved what he was hearing, so after some begging on my part he boxed that dude up and shipped it out to me.

I received the Uberbuss and upon unpacking it couldn't help but notice that Dave did a fine job of packing it to protect it from our good friends at UPS/FedEx. The unit itself is very well built and I love the smaller size of it making it nice and easy to place in my system and it doesn't take up an entire shelf either! I sat mine on the floor against the wall just off the side of my rack. First thing I did is plug my BAT preamp into the Uberbuss to see if I could hear any difference, wow! Right off the bat it was obvious this baby was making a difference and a darn nice one at that. I'm no reviewer so I do not have a way with words but it was easy to note the much quieter back ground my preamp was now presenting, very nice and quiet. I next plugged my CDP into it and could hear that improvement as well. Same thing I got with the preamp I got with my CDP. The music just seemed to sound "cleaner"(for lack of a better word). If I had to use just a few words to describe it I would say; you know how late at night your system sounds so much better? That is exactly how my system sounds now, only this time I can now have that great sound right smack in the middle of the afternoon! I love this darn thing, it performs WELL above it's price point and as soon as I can save up the cash I will purchase a second one for my amp. I do not know Dave nor did he ask me to write anything about his fine product/s, I did this because he builds a fantastic product for a very fair price, not only that, his customer service is top notch and he is a true joy to deal with. My hat is off to you Dave for producing something that works so well with your very own hands, congratulations, fine job sir!! I'll be back... :thumb:

Sincerely,
John

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: PI Audio Uberbuss..
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2009, 04:48 pm »
If I had to use just a few words to describe it I would say; you know how late at night your system sounds so much better? That is exactly how my system sounds now, only this time I can now have that great sound right smack in the middle of the afternoon! ... :thumb:

Sincerely,
John

John,
You've hit the nail on the head with that description.  I've had my UberBuss for about two weeks and commented the exact same thing to a buddy last night.  He agreed that the noise floor, already low with an Audience Adept Response AR12 and, in the case of my DAC, a Kaplan conditioner cable...and a couple Bybee IEC dongles on the DAC and pre, fell to an all-time low.  All the while not constricting/restricting any dynamics or frequency extremes.  In fact, due to the lower noise floor, the frequency extremes are more readily heard, and are pure and tonally correct....i.e musical.   :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2009, 02:58 pm »
John & Ted,

Thank you.  I worked a long time on getting these things to where they are, without coloration.  When I do things, I try to get them to where they are as characterless as possible to just let things breathe.  I think that these products do this as well as anything that I have heard.

I'm happy that you are happy.  That, in a nutshell, is why I do this stuff.

Dave

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2009, 12:08 pm »
Ted,
I'm glad you brought up the fact that they are non current limiting as I forgot to mention that, thank you.

Dave,
You're very welcome, fine job on this product sir. :thumb:  You really should start offering them with the upgraded outlets as they are wonderful! I need one of these babies for my amp, do you make a smaller version besides the Majicbuss, say with just one outlet for situations such as mine? Thanks for the fine work!

Best,
John

William Schuchard

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2009, 12:25 pm »
Perhaps it's time to get a formal review of this product? I'm pretty curious about them.  8)

Bill

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2009, 12:32 pm »
Bill,

If you're interested you should give one a try. I believe Danny still has the offer of a free trial, be warned, it'll cost ya though as you most likely won't be sending it back!! :lol:

John

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2009, 12:57 pm »
Hey Bill, I bet we can get one of them to you.

Will I see you in a few days at RMAF?

William Schuchard

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2009, 01:34 pm »
Hi Danny,

Sadly, I will not be going to the RMAF this year. I hope things go well and people have a great time there.

Bill

Hey Bill, I bet we can get one of them to you.

Will I see you in a few days at RMAF?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2009, 04:18 am »
Ted,
I'm glad you brought up the fact that they are non current limiting as I forgot to mention that, thank you.

Dave,
You're very welcome, fine job on this product sir. :thumb:  You really should start offering them with the upgraded outlets as they are wonderful! I need one of these babies for my amp, do you make a smaller version besides the Majicbuss, say with just one outlet for situations such as mine? Thanks for the fine work!

Best,
John
Gosh, John, sorry I missed this question.  I forgot to check the notification box.

I can and will build just about anything reasonable.  I'll work a price up for a single outlet unit and get it posted.

Toodles,

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2009, 04:53 pm »
Ted,

Dave,

Best,
John
Gosh, John, sorry I missed this question.  I forgot to check the notification box.

I can and will build just about anything reasonable.  I'll work a price up for a single outlet unit and get it posted.

Toodles,

Dave

I'll throw my .002 in as I've requested a certain product.  **hint-hint**

How about doing a unit with one duplex (spots for two devices) so if you were to get mono blocks, you are covered.  Otherwise you'll be asking Dave if he can retro this unit. 

Just a thought

arthurs

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2009, 04:55 pm »
I would be interested in a single duplex Uber as well.....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2009, 04:58 pm »
Dave,

Mini.UbberBuss

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2009, 05:14 pm »
Dave,

Mini.UbberBuss

Soon, grasshopper, soon...

Also, I'll contact you concerning that other issue we discussed.

Now, I'm off to the diffuser fabricator for a meeting.

Toodles,

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2009, 05:18 pm »
I would be interested in a single duplex Uber as well.....

No problem.  Shoot me a PM and we can talk.

The question that I have is:  what/whose duplex do you want?  After my recent experiences with the Oyaide outlets I am sold on their sonic qualities.  I have built several units with the SWX-GO series and they make a very big difference when combined with a Furutech inlet: s-m-o-o-o-o-t-h and extremely detailed.

Who knew... besides Robin  :green:

http://www.vhaudio.com/oyaide-receptacles.html

http://www.vhaudio.com/connectors-ac.html#IECinlets

All of these options would add to the cost, but they are very much worth it!

Dave