A must have for every system...

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
A must have for every system...
« on: 8 May 2009, 07:50 pm »
I ran across another one of those must have products.

It's also one of those products that has a benefit that far exceeds the price to the point to where it is one of those things that everyone must have in their systems. This is even a must have for budget systems.

The product is a new type of power conditioner developed by Dave Elledge. It's called the Majik Bus and information can be seen on it here: http://www.piaudiogroup.com/prod_filtration_majik.aspx

I liked it so much that I told Dave that I wanted to be a dealer for him in offering this product. I know that my customers will appreciate something like this as they are very much value oriented.

In my initial comparisons I compared the Majik Buss to my Dodd Audio balanced power supply. Everything in my system except for my battery powered tube pre-amp runs through that power supply.

I still have a couple of them for sale too BTW. I am asking only $900 for this one.

I still have this one too: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65521.0

Anyway, I unplugged my transport and DAC from the balanced power supply and ran them through the Majik Buss. I was amazed how how little was lost. The Majik Buss was really good, but not quite as good as the balanced power supply. After all the balanced power supply also has filtering to it as well and has been confirmed in many A/B comparisons to be one of the best, if not thee best, balanced power supplies available.

But then I tried plugging my transport and DAC straight into the wall and compared the Majik Buss to having nothing there at all in the power line path. Without the Majik Buss or balanced power supply it was Horrible with a capital H. Grunge and grim was clearly there. Noisy background levels... Complete loss of musical enjoyment was replaced by annoyance.

Dropping the Majik Buss into the signal path was a relief. It was back to music as usual. It was like a huge weight had been lifted from the music and it began to flow freely again.

I then tried the Majik Buss in addition to the Dodd Audio balanced power supply. It then took the system yet one more yard further. Just a little bit, and it was hard to put a finger on, but clearly everything was more right. The system was more musical. Noise levels were even lower. All seemed better. All sounded better. And this was just running my front end components through it.

It is still there in my system, and I ordered ten of them.

I even took the Majik Buss to Dallas and tried it in Gary Dodd's system and got the same results. Gary noticed the difference in about two seconds of listening.

Now here is another new bit of information that I must share. I have been doing some beta tested for the Electra Cable Company. They have been working on new power cables and speaker cables. I think they are very good. They touch the edge of the cost no object performance of other cables out there but are in the budget price ranges. They will be launching a new web site and announcing the new products shortly. They just completed development and testing and I just got a price sheet from them.

I am so confident in the performance of the Majik Buss that I will be willing to send one out with one of the new Electra Cable power cables (maybe a 4 footer), to anyone that wants to try it. You will have to secure it with a credit card and you will have to prepay the shipping cost which will not be much. You will also have to be prepared to purchase it as you will not want to send it back.

I can't run the Majik Buss on sale and I can't run the power cables on sale as they are not GR Research products, but I may be allowed to run a packaged deal on them if you decide to keep them both.

For those of you with cost no object systems and power cables: I'll put the Majik Buss and an inexpensive Electra Cable power cable up against any of the cost no object power cables out there.

For all of you guys that thought power cables and conditioners were a bunch of hocus-pocus or something, now is your chance to find out if that is really true or not. Pay the shipping and find out for yourself. 

So who is interested in trying one out?
« Last Edit: 11 May 2009, 02:26 pm by Danny »

PDR

• May the best man win
Re: A must have for every system...
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2009, 09:30 pm »
Danny.......what is the price?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2009, 09:36 pm »
The Majik Buss is only $595.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2009, 10:04 pm »
I might be interested Danny.

Let me see how much time I will have to evaluate.

George

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2009, 10:27 pm »
George,

I am easy. How much time would you like?

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2009, 10:32 pm »
Danny,

Unless you can tell me exactly HOW this thing works, I will not believe that you heard any difference. In fact, if you don't provide the measurements on what it does then this actually PROVES that you didn't hear a difference. 

OK totally joking. Sorry - I've seen too many of these replies lately!!

Seriously, sounds like a product to keep an eye on - Thanks for the info  :thumb:

-Mike

mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2009, 10:35 pm »
Oh, and I forgot to add- The only reason you hear a difference is because your equipment is poorly designed and executed!!

(Again - Totally kidding)

-Mike

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2009, 10:50 pm »
I am interested in buying one Danny......is the $595 only the 15amp? If so what the price on the 20amp?
Thanks,

Perry

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2009, 10:53 pm »
Electra speaker cables.  I think I need to try those to go with the Electra interconnects!  

Need a beta tester?   aa

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2009, 11:33 pm »
George,

I am easy. How much time would you like?

Danny,

I am honestly not sure.  I do know that if I can't do a good comparison by May 25th, I would have to wait until the middle of June, due to some international work travel and major projects.

As to what I have to compare things to...

Right now I have all of my gear using Kaplan Cable Conditioner cords plugged into a Furman Sound IT Reference 20 balanced power conditioner.  This combination bested the Kaplan Cable Conditioner cords plugged into a Running Springs Audio Haley.

But the best conditioner that has graced my system was the Synergistic Research PowerCell 10SE.  It hurt to let it go, but I simply couldn't swing a $5k power conditioner.   :cry:

What does the Electra power cord cost?

Thanks,

George 

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2009, 11:36 pm »
You're funny Mike.

is the $595 only the 15amp? If so what the price on the 20amp?

I think right now the 15 amp version is the only version. Unless your system is tripping a 15 amp circuit breaker then you should be fine. In fact I am sure that it will be fine for most systems.

Hal, I think they are already through with their beta testing.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2009, 11:40 pm »
What does the Electra power cord cost?

Retail on their best power cable is only $329 for a 4' run.

George, if you need a couple of weeks to compare then that will be fine. I would image that you could come to some good conclusions pretty easily though. It may not take you long at all.

If you have to wait until the middle of June though, then wait until then.

markC

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2009, 11:45 pm »
Any hint on what is inside that little bugger?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2009, 11:56 pm »
Any hint on what is inside that little bugger ?

I have no idea. Dave said something about it being a type of filtering currently not being done.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2009, 12:38 am »
Danny,
Ok, I need to try the Electra speaker cables when they are ready.   :thumb:

I am already regenerating AC power for the system at this point. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2009, 01:03 am »
Danny, do you have any 20A versions and if so, is there any price difference? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2009, 01:09 am »
Danny, do you have any 20A versions and if so, is there any price difference? Thanks

They currently only have the 15 amp version ready.

tdangelo

« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2009, 03:12 am »
Hi Danny, I wouldn't mind trying a couple of the power cables.  I'm using Fusion Audio Enchanters which are a silver ribbon type cable.  Are the available in shorter lengths like 3' ?

BTW:  the xover's you built for my Usher BE-20's are spectacular and well worth the $$ - thanks!

Tony
« Last Edit: 9 May 2009, 04:19 am by tdangelo »

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 9 May 2009, 03:31 am »
Are the available in shorter lengths like 3' ?

Not that I know of, but I can see if I can get one made for you. I'll see if I can post some info shortly too.

BTW:  the xover's you build for my Usher BE-20's are spectular and well worth the $$ - thanks!

Great! I was wondering if you had gotten them together.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2009, 08:59 pm »
I am interested in buying one Danny......is the $595 only the 15amp? If so what the price on the 20amp?

Perry, I checked in on the thread and saw your question.  We will have a 20 amp version available in about 6 weeks.  It is going through final tweaking and is very, very good.  The new unit is called the ÜberBUSS and pricing is tentatively targeted at $995.00.  It is quite a bit different in the component consist from the Majik Buss and offers wider bandwidth from the EMI filter element.  There are a couple of outlet hurdles yet to be cleared, but these are minor and not performance related (color choice).  I will check back here and let you all know what is going on with release.

I need to state that the Majik Buss current rating is not limited by the conductors, but by the inlet and outlet used.  I can custom build 20 amp versions for an additional $50.00 or $645.00 total.  Custom units will not have the nifty Leviton quad receptacle on the front.  I use Pass&Seymour 5362A extra heavy duty receptacles in custom or high power applications.  BTW: I ship freight paid in the Lower 48 States.

Thank you for your interest,

Dave Elledge
PI audio group, LLC
www.piaudiogroup.com