BDP-1/2 Recommended Interfaces

OgOgilby

Re: BDP-1 Recommended Interfaces
« Reply #20 on: 24 Apr 2011, 12:57 am »
Hi James,

Just a quickie, I think you've answered this question before but I couldn't find the answer checking back.

I was in my local hifi shop today and they've got the BDP-1 on demo and they were trying to use the Max interface on the Ipad, holding the Ipad portrait we couldn't get the file list to scroll, it was as if it was locked onto showing 1 page only, what were we doing wrong  :?

Thanks.

Use two fingers to scroll the list.

Would love it if that could be changed... James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 29 Apr 2011, 10:22 am »

Sent: April-28-11 10:53 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: BDP-1

Hi James,

I love my BDP-1. I fantasize I will write you a "from the trenches" style message extolling its virtues. I have 80GBs of music that I love at my finger tips but was plagued with playback glitches on my PC. I jumped at the opportunity to upgrade to a system that achieves the playback quality I want. I mostly use BDP-1 with Minion on Firefox. On Safari I use MAX which feels limiting and not as comfortable using as Minion.

Here is is a helpful hint if you haven't heard about it. On Firefox 4.0, the latest version, you have to modify the installation configuration MAX VERSION parameter for the Minion install script or it will not install. No doubt this affects more people than just me. I was really upset that I couldn't use Minion on the browser version. Fortunately the workaround was in the list of reviews on the Minion download page. It is somewhat technical to achieve the fix but doable for someone comfortable with computers. Mozilla should really fix this in the distributed copy of Minion. The last update of Minion was June 2010 but it seems to work fine on FF4.

Now my selfish motive for writing you. I have a late 2009 BR-2. I wonder if I can use it with my BDP-1? I also have BCD-1 so I wonder how these units will "play" together in terms of the BR-2 button usage. Perhaps it is similar to the method to handle multiple pre-amps?

Regards, Jimmy

caberxx

« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2011, 03:40 am »
So far, I have found the user interfaces extremely frustrating.  I bought a iPod touch to use MPOD or Bryston mini - neither is worth the effort.  I was hoping to have an easy to use interface where I could flip through album art, select an album, select a song, and play.  Much like you would flip through a cd collection.  You can do this on iTunes.  I was hoping for a similar set up.  Well, neither Bryston mini nor MPOD will show album art.  But the most annoying thing is the need to make a playlist.  Why should this be necessary?  Why can't I just play a song?  Is the Bryston Max or others the same?  I tried to use my laptop to use Max, but couldn't get the laptop to find the BDP.  That's another problem.  The instructions that come with the BDP on how to set up the system are entirely inadequate.  All they say is to type "bryston-bdp-1.local" into the address bar.  Well, that does nothing. There must be more to it than that.  Be nice if Bryston told the rest.

caberxx

« Reply #23 on: 30 Apr 2011, 05:09 am »
Well, after several hours, I got the playlist thing fixed on the MPOD.  However, I still can't the album art to show.  Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:37 am »
Well, after several hours, I got the playlist thing fixed on the MPOD.  However, I still can't the album art to show.  Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

Hi caberxx,

Album art is a problem as some interfaces require the album art to be imbedded in the digital music file and others rely on being connected to the Internet.  If your files were Itunes based the MAC system keeps the album art in a separate file on your computer which does not seem to interface with other operating systems very well. MAC is a very proprietary system so it tends to work only on a MAC.

I ripped all my CD's using dbpoweramp to a PC and have no issues with album art on many of the interfaces I use. The best interface I have used on the BDP-1, if album art is a priority for you, is the MPOD interface on the iPad.

caberxx the BDP-1 is based on open source architecture and therefore the Linux operating system and Flac  files were the main design goals. If album art and browsing is really important to you then using iTunes on a MAC is probably the better solution for you over the BDP-1. The BDP-1 was an attempted to take the quality of digital sound to the next level and keep it open source so I do not think it will ever be as 'slick' as iTunes when it comes to album art.

Hope this helps and there are other members here (TED) that are much more knowledgable than me regarding album art so they may be able to help as well.

james
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2011, 01:46 pm by James Tanner »

caberxx

« Reply #25 on: 30 Apr 2011, 05:11 pm »
Well, album art is not that big a deal to me (the need the make a playlist just to listen to a song was a much bigger issue, which I resolved).  Certainly what the BDP offers is far more important than album art, but it would be cool if I could make it work.  I ripped everything in FLAC using bdpoweramp.  Each album folder has the album art jpg in it.  I'm using MPOD on an iTouch.  In the setup options, it says if I'm using http, then it will find the album art and requires me to enter the http where the album art is.  I using the bryston-bdp-1.local, and also the internet number shown on the BDP's display, but that didn't work.  I would think that MPOD on an ipad would be similar to an itouch.  What did you put in for your settings in order to get the album art?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 30 Apr 2011, 05:35 pm »
Hi,

In MPOD the settings are set at Folder.jpg under Filename and I use http:bryston-bdp-1.local/music under URL.

That being said the MPAD is much better at getting the album art it seems over MPOD but being connected to the Internet is required for a lot of it :scratch:

james

larrys

« Reply #27 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:02 pm »
I have been pleased with the MPAD app for controlling the BDP-1.  I have approximately 700 classical CDs loaded on a USB drive.  With the latest BDP-1 firmware updating directory and Cd lists is a sn.  To facillitate locating individual disks I have set up a directory structure like this:
symphonies
Orchecstral
Concertos
etc

At the next level I have composer names.  This llows me to very quickly locate individual titles which I can then select.  I find MPaD to be much better than Mpod.  Note:  according to the developer page MPAD will not retreive album aet from the BDP-1.  It does attemt to retreive art from the internet.

mPAD is very vwesatole and you get album listings with internet retreived covers, listing by artist etc along with using Browse to searh contents in the way I described above.  The only thing I don't likeis that playlists must be deleted by individual track.  When that becomes tedious I simply use the Bryston Mini player to delete playlists. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 1 May 2011, 01:52 am »
I have been pleased with the MPAD app for controlling the BDP-1.  I have approximately 700 classical CDs loaded on a USB drive.  With the latest BDP-1 firmware updating directory and Cd lists is a sn.  To facillitate locating individual disks I have set up a directory structure like this:
symphonies
Orchecstral
Concertos
etc

At the next level I have composer names.  This llows me to very quickly locate individual titles which I can then select.  I find MPaD to be much better than Mpod.  Note:  according to the developer page MPAD will not retreive album aet from the BDP-1.  It does attemt to retreive art from the internet.

mPAD is very vwesatole and you get album listings with internet retreived covers, listing by artist etc along with using Browse to searh contents in the way I described above.  The only thing I don't likeis that playlists must be deleted by individual track.  When that becomes tedious I simply use the Bryston Mini player to delete playlists.

Hi larrys

Hit the stop button twice to delete the complete playlist in MPAD and MPOD

James

caberxx

« Reply #29 on: 2 May 2011, 06:59 pm »
Thanks, James.  That's all I needed to know - the correct address to put into MPOD.  Album art now comes up perfectly.  All is working wonderfully. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 2 May 2011, 07:10 pm »
Thanks, James.  That's all I needed to know - the correct address to put into MPOD.  Album art now comes up perfectly.  All is working wonderfully.

Great news  :thumb: - thanks for the feedback.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 4 May 2011, 07:42 pm »
Hi Folks,

We are continuing to work on the Bryston MAX and MINI interfaces' for the BDP-1 which will operate at a much faster speed than the current versions.

Here is a sample of the MINI we are currently working on - comments welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2eywGBhtp4

james

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #32 on: 4 May 2011, 08:59 pm »
Nice! You're such a tease......maybe.  :nono:

OgOgilby

« Reply #33 on: 5 May 2011, 01:26 am »
That Mini looks sweet!

terrycym

« Reply #34 on: 6 May 2011, 07:03 pm »
Big improvement!
Keep it up
What about Max?

Vipers

« Reply #35 on: 10 May 2011, 05:29 pm »
Big improvement!
Keep it up
What about Max?

At long last I managed to track down an Ipad 2 today, can't wait to try Max and Mpad  :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 10 May 2011, 05:35 pm »
At long last I managed to track down an Ipad 2 today, can't wait to try Max and Mpad  :D

Got my iPad 2 yesterday as well.

james

Vipers

« Reply #37 on: 11 May 2011, 07:13 am »
Got my iPad 2 yesterday as well.

james

Excellent, very sleek piece of kit isn't it? Although I had a word of pain last night getting it going, never got a chance to try Mpad, which is all I wanted to do really, first it went belly up trying to download the latest software, then it wouldn't let me restore to default, which I found out eventually was because I was running the version before the latest version of Itunes, then it wouldn't let me purchase Mpad as my card details were out of date, then once I'd purchased it I couldn't install it as I was getting something about my PC had 5 authorisations on it, once that was sorted it still wouldn't let me install Mpad as the computer wasn't then authorised, you've got to love Apple, it's enough to drive you mad  :banghead:

Anyway, I'm there now, so tonight I can sit down with my new BDP-1 remote and have a good play  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 11 May 2011, 10:39 am »
Yes MPAD is really slick - you will love it :thumb:

james

GregoryoLuke

« Reply #39 on: 11 May 2011, 02:17 pm »
James, now that you have your iPad 2, have you been able to make local album art work on MPad?.

I have tried all of the suggestion in this thread, but to no avail.