Does anyone run Klipsch La Scalas with their AVA gear ?

adamcz

I've found a local pair, and looking into them.. I run T7exrv7, and matching150w amp, I know that mainly the hi-eff stuff is SE amp territory..with 45s, 2a3, or 300b....overkill ?  Now my current drivers are Shahaninin Obelisks..
I'm thinking that I would need subs...

avahifi

• Facilitator
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: Does anyone run Klipsch La Scalas with their AVA gear ?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2008, 11:32 am »
Big Klipsch horn loaded speakers will give you a huge and very dynamic sound field (very good) along with some obvious horn coloration (cheerleader with the megaphone - not so good).  Every speaker is a compromise, some like the Klipsch horns best, and I personally think they are pretty neat.

However, they are VERY efficient.  You can actually drive a set from the headphone output of a 9V pocket radio.  This is good and bad too.  The good is that you don't need much amplifier power.  The bad is that since the very efficient speakers amplify everything, the signal to noise ratio of your system will not be as good.  The noise from your system is a constant, the signal varies with the volume control setting.  You use much less volume control setting with a very efficient speaker, while any noise is emphasised.

With your T7 preamp, use the Low Gain function button if it is an EC model to improve the signal to noise ratio with those speakers.  If it is an SL model, we should see it to install a couple of voltage divider resistors at the output to affect the same result with very efficient speakers.  Or simply try driving the Klipsch horn speakers from the headphone output of the preamp with no power amp at all!

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

gjs_cds

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2008, 08:46 pm »
Or simply try driving the Klipsch horn speakers from the headphone output of the preamp with no power amp at all!

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Wow... Just wow!

Never even would have thought of that.

I've been thinking about a nifty little office system--and this is a really cool (and relatively inexpensive if I find decent used gear) idea!

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2008, 10:18 pm »
While they may not be able to image really well in a smaller room like an office, you definitely won't have any problems getting to a headbanging volume level, that's for sure ;) La Scalas are my 2nd favorite Klipsch speaker, behind the Khorn...(and probably Jubilee, if I ever hear one)...

One thing I did notice about them was that the very bottom octave was lacking, compared to something like a Cornwall II. They could use a good subwoofer or two to round out the bottom end.