How good can a layman expect to rip vinyl to flac format?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I don't want this to degenerate into digital vs analog debate.  I ask because I have a lot of classical and operatic LPs that are not available on CD.  While I have invested a lot of effort to enjoy my LPs, I can't deny the convenience factor of digital domain especially with PC audio.  Can I spend less than say a $1000 in equipment and convert some of the LPs to digital files for casual listening?  If so, what are the best methods?    Would one of those $99 vinyl ripper do the job?

ricmon

Re: How good can a layman expect to rip vinyl to flac format?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2007, 07:05 pm »
One way to do it is to connect your pre (tape or line out) to the line-in on sound card.  Once you do that I think you'll be able to figure out the rest.

Check this out.

http://www.audiotoolers.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/6553

Good luck and have fun

machine

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2007, 08:42 pm »
The AD converters in a computer can be noisy.

I'm using a external AD - Behringer SRC2496 Ultramatch Pro - about $130 street.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHSRC2496
It also has a level control to let you adjust recording levels.
You'll need a computer soundcard with a Digital Input to capture.

Hagerman has the "Ripper" which includes a phono preamp and outputs via USB to computer.
http://www.hagtech.com/ripper.html
It's suposed to be nice, seems very easy to use, but only 16-bit 44.1kHz.

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2007, 09:31 pm »
I have a friend that rips all his vinyl with this:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AudiophileUSB-main.html

It's USB, so no cards, no fuss, just plug it in.  24 bit 96Khz.  I think he got it for about $200.

The A/D/A converters are not bad. For $200 it's great. 

If you want to do some serious high end capture of vinyl, you can checkout stuff by RME, Apogee, MOTU, but they often come with a bunch more stuff than just a 2 channel A/D/A, so you're paying extra for mic preamps and additional inputs....

/A

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2007, 09:43 pm »
Too bad the M-Audio device doesn't have RIAA equilization in it. Now all of your friends transfered LPs to digital are all screwed up if he's just using that. You need to go through RIAA to restore the music to a flat response curve when transfereing LPs to digital.

Wayner :duh:

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2007, 10:00 pm »
Now all of your friends transfered LPs to digital are all screwed up if he's just using that.

He still uses his phonostage :):)    None of these plug directly to the turntable, as you mentioned they don't have RIAA.  You'll still need to use whatever phono you have.

/A

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2007, 10:54 pm »
Good. I wasn't sure.

W

HChi

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2007, 04:28 am »
If good quality is of concern and assuming a good source is available, I would recommend to do it correctly and port it over to (at least) 24/96 AIFF first, then down convert to whatever you want later. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:12 pm »
I already have the M-audio USB gizmo Adam listed -- I use it as microphone preamp.   I also have a Behringer DEQ2496 I was using as tone control for digital music.  Can this be utilized in someway for ripping? 

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2007, 03:00 pm »
Hmmm...  Here's one way, probably not the best:

Download 'Audacity' http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features  It's great and free.
Rip to wav or aiff
convert to flac

I'm trying to find a free program that exports flac...... (haven't found one yet)

/A

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2007, 02:28 am »
Woodsyi,

We have the answer for you....(We are a dealer for this company) The ART USB Phono plus.  It has RIAA phono input, switchable to standard line level..works great with audacity.....record album sides notstop, then select songs as sections and export them as .wav files.  The best software I have found for building cd's is Roxio Toast Titanium.  Drag the wav files in the order you want and click "Record CD"  We like the HHB CDR Gold cd's for archiving stuff like this.....

Your friends at SRL!