2015 Gibson Guitars

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

GT Audio Works

Re: 2015 Gibson Guitars
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2014, 06:27 pm »
In their defense they do list a bunch of improvements.
So I guess if your looking for the cheapest way to get that Gibson sound, the price of admission has just gone up.
But if you don't mind spending about $400 more for a guitar capable of many voices, check out the Taylor T5Z Classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkgBQGbbWEI
Greg

Steven Stone

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2014, 03:17 pm »
If you don't like the new spec, you're not the only one, but you have an option - BUY USED. Since Gibson has been making Les Pauls almost continuously since 1956, you have options...

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2014, 03:33 pm »
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL  I got a kick out of that. :lol:

I have always wanted a LES Paul Custom but never was able to let go of that kind of money. If I was going to spend that money I would buy a Collings, they are better made and a beautiful guitar

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2014, 04:32 pm »
OMG that's awesome!!!!!

What movie is that?  I've seen a couple of spoofs now of that scene.  Very well done!

steve in jersey

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2014, 05:47 pm »
I'm kind of surprised Guitar companies like Taylor & Collings (whose main businesses are steel string Acoustics) even make electric guitars.  I'm curious has CF Martin entered the electric market ? :scratch:

( I would venture to say the New "Les Paul" is still a "bargain" compared to the price of many "vintage"
Paul )

Steven Stone

« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2014, 03:16 pm »
CF Martin has tried to enter the electric market several times in its history. All have been failures, commercially speaking. But as Mike Longworth, Martin's first AR, Customer Service, and historian said,"The main competition for a new Martin is an old Martin." The same goes for Gibson.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2014, 12:11 am »
I did check out the new Gibsons and those aren't exactly improvements - you'll have to try one yourself to see what I mean but the new, wider necks are just really odd.
However, speaking of Martins...

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2014, 12:25 am »
I just want the new Zero Fret Nut for my SG Special!   That should help a lot for tuning in C# Standard with light gauge strings.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:10 am »
I'd imagine you could just buy that separate but you'd have to modify it. 
What they did is they left the string spacing the same as before but they made the neck wider on each side of the E strings - it's just bizarre.  You'd have to take that new nut and cut it down to fit the neck on your older ones.  I don't know if it would fit in the same groove as the existing nut but Gibson could probably tell you if you give them a call.

steve in jersey

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:11 am »
CF Martin has tried to enter the electric market several times in its history. All have been failures, commercially speaking. But as Mike Longworth, Martin's first AR, Customer Service, and historian said,"The main competition for a new Martin is an old Martin." The same goes for Gibson.

It was silly for CF Martin to even try to enter the electric market. It makes almost as little sense as it would for Ramirez or any other "Handbuilders" to enter that market. Antonio Torres would probably turn over in his grave at this development

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:21 am »
I saw the prototype when I was at Gibson USA in July installed on a Les Paul with the older neck.  It hung over the neck a bit on both sides, but not bad.  Will be talking to them about it now that it is in production. 

I like the adjustable capability better than the ZeroGlide style zero fret.  It has a fixed height zero fret that gets installed with the new nut.