power line treatment survey

vett93

power line treatment survey
« on: 1 Feb 2011, 08:28 pm »
I'd like to start a thead on how we handle the power line treatment. Please post what you have, what you think of it, and what you plan to do next.

I have a 20A dedicated line with 10AWG wires. Then 2 sets of Shunyata AC duplex outlets. My digital sources and preamp are plugged in a Shunyata Guardian 6 PLC which connects to an AC outlet using a 20A LessLoss filtering power cord. The power amps are plugged in the AC outlets directly. Then I have a few filters from Alan Maher and AudioPrism at various outlets throughput the house.

I think my 2-ch sounds much better with the above treatment. The system is very quiet while idle. It does not seems to rob off details.

Since audio hobby is a life long journey, I plan to add a 2nd dedicate circuit for the digital sources and the preamp. Also move the Shunyata PLC to this 2nd circuit. Keep the power amps on the 1st circuit.

Edit 3/12/11: Instead of getting a 2nd dedicated line, I got a second power conditioner, a Blue Cricle PLC Thingee FX2, for the analog gear (preamp + power amps). It is an improvement over what I had. The edges are more refined. The subtle nuances come out from a darker background. I like it!

The reason for not getting a 2nd dedicated line is that I want to avoid ground loops. My 2-ch gears are the L/R channels for the HT system which is on another 20A circuit. I had to use a Jensen transformer between them to get rid of a hum. So I decided to keep all my 2-ch gears on the same circuit.

I believe a 20A dedicated circuit should be sufficient for my use. My speakers, Focal JMlabs Alto Utopia Be, are happy with the 200W output from my amps. So even at the current peak, they should draw less than 10A, everything included.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2011, 07:38 pm by vett93 »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: power line treatment survey
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2011, 01:18 pm »
I have dedicated 20A (10 gauge cryo'd) line which is feeding a PI Audio MuthaBuss. 

Future upgrades will probably a BPT Balanced Power to feed my source componenets.  I've started to build a Felix for my digital crossover and look forward to trying it on my dac too.  So maybe I'll build some more Felixs'.   :dunno:

I've gone through A LOT of power equipment and this is the best setup that I've had but think the balanced power could be the icing.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2011, 01:42 pm »
My favorite so far is isolation transformers. They're relatively inexpensive and work exceptionally well.

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2011, 02:21 pm »
My favorite so far is isolation transformers. They're relatively inexpensive and work exceptionally well.

Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.
I agree with Blair an isolation transformer should do the trick and it's relatively cheap to buy,
however,
for the very noisy and polluted lines,
maybe a more sofisticated units should be installed,
but to me,
look as if all those line conditionner units are over priced, even if they do a good job.
In my next listening room, I will have a voltage stabilizer, here in Vietnam it's required because voltage varies a lot and at the output of the voltage stabilizer an isolation transformer of 2 KVA from 230V to 230V.
I think my future set up should take care of the noisy and unstable Vietnamese power line.
Guy 13

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2011, 09:10 pm »
100A feed to my basement, 2 20A feeds to the listening room with 10GA wire. 2 Jena Labs 20A cryo outlets in each box.

Source gear has a Bybee power purifier 2.0 SE and Kaplan GS cords. PC feeding the DAC has a dual Felix as well.

Amps are plugged into another Bybee conditioner or straight into the wall, depends on which amps are in use. Kaplan GS cords on those as well.

In the interest of full disclosure - I build the Bybee conditioners under contract, so I am not exactly unbiased. I have several BPT 20A balanced conditioners as well.

mike

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2011, 09:18 pm »
In the interest of full disclosure - I build the Bybee conditioners under contract, so I am not exactly unbiased.
mike

:o

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:30 pm »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:47 pm »
I thought you knew. :)

:shake:  No idea!

kingdeezie

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:18 pm »
I have a dedicated 20A line to my "manroom," that terminates in a Synergistic Research Tesla Plex.

Into the Tesla Plex is a Synergistic Research Powercell 10 SE with the Precision Reference PC that came with the unit. Everything is plugged into the Powercell.

Love what the Powercell did for my system.  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:34 pm »
I have a 20amp dedicated service into the listening room.

Start with an Uberbuss to a PS Audio P300 and Power Plant Premiere to run front end transports and PA's.  Very quiet setup.

The rest runs off batteries!   :thumb:

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:40 pm »
I've got a dedicated 20 amp circuit that feeds my main listening room. I've tried a number of different conditioner topologies and settled with BPT (Balanced Power Technologies). It simply does a better job filtering the crap riding the mains.

In my other systems I use a passive filter (DeZorel) for my other audio gear. It does a fine job but doesn't come close to the BPT. In my home theater I use another passive (Monster HTS 3600). It's OK. The only reason I've kept it there is because it was free when I bought my plasma.

One of these days I'll finish my DIY balanced power conditioner and use it in my home theater. I expect it will make a very nice improvement.

Blackmore

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:59 pm »
I'm using half of a 30 amp 220 volt feed to a SquareD box to provide 15 amp circuit breaker protection.  Then I use a BPT 2.0 and a BPT CPC off the breaker box to feed the system.  Great results even though it's a bit oddball using the 220v service to derive my 120v needs

djbnh

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2011, 05:46 pm »
A number of dedicated 20A lines. Digital is on its own line.

Mike82

« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2011, 09:19 pm »
I have dedicated 20 amp lines with Isoclean outlets. I’ve had several PLCs in the past and all seemed to improve the sound to one degree or another, but the dedicated line was in my experience the most effective both sonically and cost effective.

I may try an Equitech in the future though as I haven’t used a balanced unit since I moved into the new place. But YMMV comes into play big time!

rean1matore

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2011, 06:19 pm »
I think I may have found the perfect setup for my system recently.

I have both dirty power and inconsistent over-voltage at my apartment.  It usually measure somewhere around 125-128Volts at the outlet.  I started out using an Adept Response AR1P with a cryoparts 6 outlet power distributor connected to it.  Since power conditioners do not regulate the voltage I still had crappy sound most of the time except usually late at night.  The adept worked well when the voltage was closer to 120V.

To fix the over-voltage issue I just picked up a PS Audio PPP.  I first tested the PPP by itself and it worked pretty well, nothing shocking but the sound of my system definitely improved removing the hard edged sound I usually get due to the over voltage problem.  I was planning on selling the Adept as I was happy with the PPP.  Over the last few days I've been inserting the Adept in to the system with my PPP connected to it and doing quite a few A/B comparisons. 

My System with both power conditiioning and ac regeneration is quite noticeably improved with both.  The sound is now cleaner, dynamics are much better, instrument separation, detail/resolution blah blah blah, all far better than with either solution by itself.   Giving the PPP the cleanest current to work with increases the effectiiveness of the ac regeneration considerably.

Finally, I can listen and enjoy my system at any time during the day and not just late at night!!   

Funny, my a/b comparisons were prompted as I had listed the Adept on a'gon and had an offer on it.  I decided to give it a try with the PPP before selling it just in case,  glad i checked.  Just notifed the buyer that I have decided to keep it.

decal

« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:56 pm »
I guess I'm blessed with pretty clean power where I live.I have none of the problems most folks talk about on threads like these. Then again,maybe I don't hear good enough or my system isn't good enough to tell the difference!!!!!!  :duh:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2011, 05:24 am »
I have a Furman REF20i (for the amp, and all video stuff)
a PS Audio Premier Power set to the Multiwave ouput (for tubed stuff, and preamp) and a PS Audio P600 set to 90hz output (for the digital)
Living in a rental unit, i cannot change the electrical wiring. However i do have a set of four pairs of 12 gauge teflon Mil spec wires from a singleton 20 amp outlet to my stuff.
I started with just a few ferrite claps on A/C cords. Then bought a Adcom 315. Then a Monster 5000. Then the 7000SS. and on from there. The Furman REF20i  was purchased used, and the latest is a used PS Audio P600.
I wanted to try the P600 for the voltage frequency variations. Also the P600 is supposed to have a more 'warm' effect on the electronics with certain multiwave forms.
I am a conditioner nut.
I have several cryoed outlets, and the rest are Pass & Seymour.
I just purchased 20 Pass & Seymour 8200 with the original brass back strap and no plating on innards.. cheap, considering..(wish I could get them cryoed locally...)
Latest tweak to power is a few 'pigtails' off the A/C ends.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2011, 03:04 am by Elizabeth »

drummermitchell

« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2011, 02:34 am »
I have a 60a double pole breaker at the main panel feeding a 40a breaker and a 30a breaker which is in another sub panel+a 20a breaker.
The 40 and 30 feed my two 240v Torus(60a+20a) which are fed with two 8awg cables which run to the front and back of the room and the dedicated 20a I'm using 10/2 awg for one F-113,the other 3
run off the two Torus(s).
Have to agree, isolation transformers are a huge upgrade(even though these are pricey).
Use to use all Shunyata hydras on dedicated lines and there's no comparison.
These are just so much more of everything,bringing you closer to the music.
Also went thru a few conditioners,but these are keepers.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2011, 01:07 pm »
I plug everything except the amps into a Panamax 5410 Pro, I like having some surge and spike protection. I don't hear any difference in the sound with or without it.

I have 4 Felix filters that I also use between the Panamax and the electronics, this cleans up the sound and low level information is easier to hear.

Wayne

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2011, 02:03 pm »
Standard 15 amp line; nothing special. Ceiling fan on same circuit. Everything plugged in to a surge protector.  No noise.  Happy.

- Doug