Odd popping noise coming from Bryston 7B SST-squared amplifier

c_note

Friends, I hope someone here can provide guidance on next steps.  Last week I sent a message thru the Bryston website, and I left a voice message at the US Bryston call center, but so far no one has responded.

I have a pair of Bryston 7B SST-squared power amplifiers; I would guess they are approximately 13 to 14 years old.  Lately, I am hearing an odd "popping" noise out of the right channel amplifier only.  I immediately checked to confirm that all wiring (interconnects and speaker cables) were tightly plugged in--no issue.  My preamplifier (Coda 07X) is less than a year old, and is otherwise performing flawlessly, so I don't think it is the source of the popping noise.  I turned off my primary source (an Oppo DVD player), and the popping noise continued (with just the Brystons and Coda powered on).  My best guess is that the popping noise is originating from the right channel 7B amplifier.  The left channel amplifier appears to be working flawlessly.

The popping noise is totally random, it can occur two or three times a minute, or once every three to five minutes.  No rhyme or reason, I just hear a clearly audible pop from the right channel, and it occurs whether or not music is playing.

Is there anything else I can / should do before sending the right amplifier to the service center for a diagnostic?  James, can you advise, approximately how long is the current service lead time at the service center?  As you can imagine, I am not excited to listen to music with only one channel of amplification for an extended period of time.

Very much appreciate any suggestions/guidance this forum can provide.  Thank you!

Rusty Jefferson

I'm sure someone from Bryston will respond about service. In the meantime you should probably swap amplifier channels to be sure the problem moves with the amplifier.

gbaby

Friends, I hope someone here can provide guidance on next steps.  Last week I sent a message thru the Bryston website, and I left a voice message at the US Bryston call center, but so far no one has responded.

I have a pair of Bryston 7B SST-squared power amplifiers; I would guess they are approximately 13 to 14 years old.  Lately, I am hearing an odd "popping" noise out of the right channel amplifier only.  I immediately checked to confirm that all wiring (interconnects and speaker cables) were tightly plugged in--no issue.  My preamplifier (Coda 07X) is less than a year old, and is otherwise performing flawlessly, so I don't think it is the source of the popping noise.  I turned off my primary source (an Oppo DVD player), and the popping noise continued (with just the Brystons and Coda powered on).  My best guess is that the popping noise is originating from the right channel 7B amplifier.  The left channel amplifier appears to be working flawlessly.

The popping noise is totally random, it can occur two or three times a minute, or once every three to five minutes.  No rhyme or reason, I just hear a clearly audible pop from the right channel, and it occurs whether or not music is playing.

Is there anything else I can / should do before sending the right amplifier to the service center for a diagnostic?  James, can you advise, approximately how long is the current service lead time at the service center?  As you can imagine, I am not excited to listen to music with only one channel of amplification for an extended period of time.

Very much appreciate any suggestions/guidance this forum can provide.  Thank you!

Just remember you have a twenty years warranty. 8)

richidoo

Swap amps side to side to see if noise follows the amp.

Guess: maybe a failing cap which is shorting/discharging itself randomly.

I would take it out until it's fixed so no speaker damage.