Open baffle speakers and room treatment

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Open baffle speakers and room treatment
« on: 5 Feb 2011, 06:29 pm »
tasar

Re: Diffusers Arrived
« on: Today at 06:21 PM »QuoteRemoveSplit TopicHey Dave........we have an Orion user here and it would be a good time to consider discussion on room treatment for the OBs in general. Perhaps you can start something for those of us in this camp ie the Vs ? I'm at ground zero with room augmentation, can we explore this subject here from A to Z ?......thanks,

****************************************************************************************

Here you go, per your request:

All, tasar has a very good point here and I have split this off into a new discussion.  I will post on the GR Research circle about this and hopefully we can get a LOT of great input and some frech ideas.  I have some and will chime in as we go...

Have fun  :thumb:

Dave
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2011, 03:58 am by dBe »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Open baffle speakers and room treatment
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2011, 07:06 pm »
I've been running OB's for a little while now (GR Research V2's), plus have a friend that has been running Apogees for years. 

I'd say the first rule of thumb is distance from the front wall - the further into the room you can pull them, the better.  If you can't pull them out at least 3 feet, then you probably should not use OB speakers. 

2nd rule of thumb - front wall does best with a mix of absorption and diffusion.  That's because if you do "only" absorption, then it kills the soundstage width, and if you use only diffusion, it kills the depth.  A mix of both is ideal.

Groundzero

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2011, 08:05 pm »
Having recently finished my V-2 setup I'm looking forward to this. You could say I'm also at Ground zero.  :lol:

I was thinking about getting a couple boxes of ridged foam tiles like these and placing them in alternating directions. Start with some behind the V-2s, on the side walls, and a few on the ceiling. Would those count as diffusion and absorption?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2011, 08:16 pm »
Those are purely absorptive because they are made of foam.  For diffusion you need something harder (like books on a bookshelf, or a mosaic of wood blocks, etc... The more random the pattern, the better, when it comes to diffusion.

highfilter

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2011, 08:58 pm »
I agree with Tyson. I have Salk SoundScape 10's, not really "true" open baffle, but the top enclosure is pretty much. I have some GIK QRD Diffusors behind each speaker, and they are the monster versions so they have a Monster Bass Trap behind the diffusion. Works very well and helps a lot to remove the room from the equation, and create a wonderful soundstage. Absorption and diffusion work great.

I am getting some more for the back wall pretty soon to complete the room. I previously had them on the back wall and they were fantastic, but they worked even better on the front wall behind the speakers. Once I have some diffusion on the back wall, things should really get tasty.

tasar

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:40 pm »
Dave.....let's roll on the OB treatment stuff....."while we're young" and "sound" minded....connotations withstanding........Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2011, 07:55 pm »
Dave.....let's roll on the OB treatment stuff....."while we're young" and "sound" minded....connotations withstanding........Dave
Just been incredibly busy... as always.  :)  I think that I'll slow down here in a couple of days when I get caught up again.

I have some ideas and we've got a "new"ish diffuser that should be killer for this kind of treatment.  - Thanks to Trung for the motivation on it!   :thumb:

Geezer Dave

Charles Xavier

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:33 pm »
Just been incredibly busy... as always.  :)  I think that I'll slow down here in a couple of days when I get caught up again.

I have some ideas and we've got a "new"ish diffuser that should be killer for this kind of treatment.  - Thanks to Trung for the motivation on it!   :thumb:

Geezer Dave

Lets see a pic and some info

TrungT

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2011, 01:57 am »
On the way.
Thank you Dave and Greg  :thumb:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2011, 04:42 am »
On the way.

And these are something special for open baffle speakers ? These would look cool on a ceiling. Any info on them ?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2011, 06:29 am »
And these are something special for open baffle speakers ? These would look cool on a ceiling. Any info on them ?
The re-radiation patterns are horizontal and vertical instead of of horizontal only with the cells oriented vertically.  They will work well for all kinds of applications but will be killer on sidewalls for first reflection diffusion especially for dipole oben back speakers.

Pricing is TBD, but will not be too much more than the ABB1's.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2011, 06:31 am »
On the way.

No, no, no Trung.  Thank you  :thumb:

Dave

TrungT

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2011, 06:40 am »
^^^^^
Sorry Dave
I let the Dog out of the bag.
 :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2011, 06:55 am »
^^^^^
Sorry Dave
I let the Dog out of the bag.
 :thumb:
Dude, did the dog eat the cat?

:rotflmao:

Dave

gooberdude

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2011, 12:01 am »
I hope some of your customers get artsy with the finishes on these & post pics.

i'm buying loft that has a masonry wall running the full length of the unit, 15' ceiling height. 3 difft rooms will need diffusion, and the prices of these diffusors will fit my budget, regardless of the total area i have to cover (200sf or more possibly).  i dont plan to drywall over any bricks, & will treat the rooms with GIK products too.

It wouldn't be hard for me to pick 3 gunmetal colors & have them all work due to the industrial architecture of the unit & grey stained concrete floors, but i'd like to see pics of some finished ones for inspiration.

my main system now is (4) 15" OB woofers, and may soon grow to 6.

fsimms

« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2011, 02:24 am »
I agree with Tyson. I have Salk SoundScape 10's, not really "true" open baffle, but the top enclosure is pretty much. I have some GIK QRD Diffusors behind each speaker, and they are the monster versions so they have a Monster Bass Trap behind the diffusion. Works very well and helps a lot to remove the room from the equation, and create a wonderful soundstage. Absorption and diffusion work great.

Highfilter I am glad that works for you since you are so close to the front wall like me.  I plan to get some commercial panels for my SoundScapes in a few days so I am very glad to hear that it works for you.

Bob

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2011, 04:29 am »
I hope some of your customers get artsy with the finishes on these & post pics.

i'm buying loft that has a masonry wall running the full length of the unit, 15' ceiling height. 3 difft rooms will need diffusion, and the prices of these diffusors will fit my budget, regardless of the total area i have to cover (200sf or more possibly).  i dont plan to drywall over any bricks, & will treat the rooms with GIK products too.

It wouldn't be hard for me to pick 3 gunmetal colors & have them all work due to the industrial architecture of the unit & grey stained concrete floors, but i'd like to see pics of some finished ones for inspiration.

my main system now is (4) 15" OB woofers, and may soon grow to 6.

Matt, I'm getting a few to play with in a few...

tasar

« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2011, 06:05 pm »
Yo ! Dave.........it's TIME !! Get those Super Vs standing upright and give a clue !!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 2 Mar 2011, 11:23 pm »
Yo ! Dave.........it's TIME !! Get those Super Vs standing upright and give a clue !!
I have an interim project on the burner right now.  Pictures to come shortly.

Dave

Mr Ed

« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2011, 12:11 am »
Very good looking design.
I will happily stand in line for a set, so let us know when they will be available.

Ed