Would Spatial Audio X2's be a good fit?

bnrgator

Would Spatial Audio X2's be a good fit?
« on: 28 Jul 2018, 09:22 pm »
I've been an audiophile for roughly 20 years.  My first big purchase was a pair of MMGs with a 50W NAD amp.  I kept that system for years eventually upgrading the MMGs to the point where the only parts that were original were the drivers.  I loved the revealing and open sound of these speakers.

However I realized that as good as these speakers were, they didn't reproduce the actual dynamics of live music.  So I went a different route.  I got into high efficiency speakers with Tekton Lores.  I eventually upgraded these to Pendragons with are large, full range, high efficiency speakers.  Full range bass the eliminates any need for a sub.  Huge dynamics.  However they lack the resolution and openness that I loved from Magnepans.

This year I plan to upgrade my speakers.  The Tekton Double Impact speakers have gotten insanely positive reviews, so I had planned to just go that route (maybe get the more expensive Encores).  I'm confident that going that route I would have something better than I currently have.

However I started reading about open-baffle speakers and seeing the reviews for Spatial Audio.  It almost sounds like the perfect speaker for me combining the best attributes of my previous speakers.  My biggest concern is that I have a VERY large room.  The room has 20 ft ceilings and is basically open to the rest of the house (upstairs and downstairs halls, kitchen, foyer).  It is a large volume of air.  Would the X2's be able to perform to their fullest in a large room like this?  Will I get accurate bass down to 20 Hz?  I'm currently using a 500 W ICE amp and an Anthem reciever with ARC for bass correction.  The speakers do double duty music and TV sound. 

Thanks for any input.

ric

Re: Would Spatial Audio X2's be a good fit?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2018, 02:15 pm »
Hi, my initial response would be an unequivocal yes, but, probably the best thing to do would be to call Spatial (Clayton) and talk to him directly, unless you can ping him here. Good luck!

bnrgator

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2018, 02:45 pm »
Clayton responded directly to an email and was very honest about my situation.  The size of my room may be a problem for what I want with the X2's. 

I really appreciate a designer that is honest about his products like that! 

He did imply that there may be hope for me coming later this year...

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2018, 03:35 pm »
The Tekton Encore certainly is intriguing on the surface of it, but I cannot find any reviews on them; maybe they're too new. Based on the ecstatic reviews of the similar Ulfberht I'd be inclined to save for those if I had a huge room and the space to accommodate them.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2018, 05:16 pm »
I have a friend in a similar situation architecturally. He's had great success with a pair of Nola KO's. The open baffle array gives some (if not most) of that "panel type" presentation you may be looking for. Easy to drive ( 90db efficient) with a friendly impedance curve. If there's one caveat, he does use a single VS powered sub to supplement the bass....although the bass of the KO is still quite substancial when the sub is switched off.