Question about switching from 5.1 to 2.1 speaker configuration

tmchow

I am about to switch from 5.1 setup to a 2.1 setup and still power it all with my Pioneer Elite VSX-45tx.  My assumption would be that my receiver would be able to "convert" all surround tracks to 2.1.  Is my assumption correct and I have nothing to worry about?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Yes, in the set up function just say "no" to center channel and surround channels.  It will downmix to 2.1.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Look for a setting that says "Surround OFF", or something similar. Otherwise you may have some form of Dolby Pro Logic or Pioneer 'mode' type stuff messing with your output. Unless that's what you want of course.
I've not seen the OSM (on screen menu) of an Elite but I'm sure there's a "global" setting of two channel. "Global" means that regardless of the input source (TV, CD, DVD, etc...), the machine will always output two channel and never try any funny business with give you some form of 'virtual surround'.
I'm assuming you're wanting pure two (.1) music and never, never hear and 'modes', or 'scenes' as they're called?

Bob

tmchow

I'm assuming you're wanting pure two (.1) music and never, never hear and 'modes', or 'scenes' as they're called?

Correct.  I do'nt see a point in their scene/modes.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
You probably won't see an actual ".1" in the menu.

-- If you've got your subwoofer wired to the "LFE-OUT / SUB-OUT" RCA on the back panel:
You'll have to set your front mains as "SMALL" and that should open up more options where it asks you about your subwoofer (size, delay, crossover frequency etc...)
-- If you're running the front mains as "LARGE", and doing the LFE XO stuff down stream, you'll want to turn off any subwoofer settings in the receiver. Otherwise, it's going to chop, cut, and alter your lower octaves.

Either way is fine, but the one you choose will be ultimately dependant on what kind of equipment you have "downstream".

Bob