Anyone heard the Sony STR-DA7100ES/DVP-NS9100ES combo?

TIC

Digital dudes,

Has anyone heard the Sony combo connected via iLink? The DVP-NS9100ES outputs SACD and CD in DSD format over the iLink connection. Apparently the STR-DA7100ES then passes the unprocessed DSD stream directly to the S-Master Pro amplifiers. This would seem to be the absolute best case scenario for a digital source. Keep the signal in the same format and domain all the way to the output of the amplifiers.

For anyone interested in reading a technical explanation (sales pitch), here is a link to Sony:

http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/hpd/hdtv/downloads/ES_STR_05_Final.pdf

BTW, I own the Sony STR-DA5000ES and I've really liked it. I'm not thrilled with the remote and setup is not as intuitive as some other receivers I've owned, but it sounds great, looks really great and has great video switching/upconverting to Component Video. The 7100 is supposed to be better, giving the 9000ES a run for its money.

Any thoughts?

Enjoy,

TIC

TIC

Re: Anyone heard the Sony STR-DA7100ES/DVP-NS9100ES combo?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2006, 06:48 pm »
Oops,

I meant for this to go in the digital domain forum. I'm copying it and posting it over there.

Moderator, if there is an issue with double posting, please delete this either this one or the one in the digital forum.

Enjoy,

TIC

Al Garay

Re: Anyone heard the Sony STR-DA7100ES/DVP-NS9100ES combo?
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2006, 03:54 am »
I had the 5000ES for about a month before it died. Managed to return it to the dealer who let me get the Pioneer Elite 56TXi. Immediately, I missed the sound quality of the Sony, which sounded closer to my old AKSA amps, very good detail. The 56TXi lacked emotion, detail, wonderful setup features, very easy to use. I sent it back and managed to get a full cash refund. Luckly, I was able to snag the new STR-DA7100ES for the same price as the 56TXi. I have been happy ever since. In fact, I sold my Hypex UcD400 amps (had 6 channels) to buy the Sony XBR 40" Bravia LCD.   Perhaps, having the receiver is not as sexy but my kids all know how to use the system and we use it regularly.

The STR-DA7100ES is worth the upgrade and you can get very good deals now. I chose not to get the DVP-NS9100ES although the iLINK would provide the best connection (low noise floor and all that good stuff) but my darn Oppo DVD player works so well (even without mods). The video quality of the Oppo is hard to beat. And I end up using the Squeezebox to listen to music most of the time.

Keep it simple,

Al