Front height channel help me understand

Toecutter

Front height channel help me understand
« on: 11 Dec 2020, 03:11 pm »
I just got a used 7.2 reciever  one channel is labeled rear or front  height. What is played through  the height channel? and help me choose which one would be better for me. Before I start fishing wires .

WC

Re: Front height channel help me understand
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2020, 03:52 pm »
Some listeners like the effect of front heights and some could care less. Same with the rear channel speakers. Neither one of them has support for any Dolby Digital mix you get from streaming or cable box. DTS master audio and Dolby pro-logic make use of the rear channels in their 7.1 channel mix, but not the front heights. Only way to get sound out of the front heights is to have the receiver matrix in the signals using something like the Pro Logic IIz surround mode.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2020, 04:20 pm »
Doesn't Atmos use front height as well?

I have front height and rear speakers in addition to all the other 5 speakers. On some movies, like for instance some of the newer Star Wars in Atmos, the effects can be extremely kuhl! But for the most part if you are limited on outputs, I prefer the rear over front height because there may not be the steering to even leverage those speakers.

WC

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2020, 05:12 pm »
Atmos does use a front height speaker, but the guidelines on the location are different. In a 7.2 channel AV receiver (non-atmos) front heights are typically front wall mounted over the fronts. Atmos front heights are more ceiling mounted towards the room center away from the fronts.

ryno

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2021, 03:36 am »
Xx
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2021, 02:22 am by ryno »

Mudslide

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2021, 04:35 am »
I just got a used 7.2 reciever  one channel is labeled rear or front  height. What is played through  the height channel? and help me choose which one would be better for me. Before I start fishing wires .

The receiver will likely matrix the front height or rear.  For my setup, rear speakers provide much more surround ambience than heights.  But having both is, I imagine, akin to Atmos.  When watching just about anything with flyovers or overhead audio, my Yamaha 9.2 is VERY immersive and enjoyable.

I say go for the rears.