In wall power cords for plasma

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
In wall power cords for plasma
« on: 27 Feb 2012, 01:54 pm »
Any recommendations for a good power cord that is rated to be in wall?

I would like to run the power cord in the wall (from behind the plasma to out at the bottom of the wall behind the rack) so that I don't see any cables.

Thanks,

George   

srb

Re: In wall power cords for plasma
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2012, 04:30 pm »
I haven't come across any.  You generally don't see CL-x rated AC power cords, because most codes require high voltage AC cable that is run through walls or ceilings to be terminated into either a junction box or outlet box and receptacle.

So while not meeting code, if you still want an in-wall rated cable that would not emit toxic fumes when burned, what is the TV termination (IEC C13, C8, etc. or proprietary?) should someone find a cord with CL-2/CL-3 rating?

Steve

youravhandyman

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2012, 04:38 pm »
There are no code approved AC power cords for inside the wall.  There are several kits out there that allow you to plug in a cord at the bottom of the wall and simply run romex up to an outlet behind the TV.  That is code compliant and easy to do for a non electrician since the circuit is not energized until you plug it in. 

Look for these kits by companies such as Arlington Industries and Midlite.  These are products I use as an installer and should be available on the web.  If you can't find them you can drop me a note and I can help you get them.

Matt

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2012, 06:08 pm »
I had an electrician install a clock receptacle in the wall behind the Plasma. It is a single three prong female socket recessed in a cup and designed to accept a grounded AC plug while remaining flush with the wall. That way you can plug in right behind the TV without having to run AC through holes in the wall right next to your signal cables. Nothing shows.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2012, 06:30 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I will talk to the electrician about Tom's idea of an outlet right behind the plasma.

George

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2012, 07:04 pm »
I did my own install a few years ago.  I installed an outlet directly behind where the plasma was going to go.  Has worked great since.

electricbear

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2012, 07:36 pm »
Sanus makes a piece called the ELM-805. It is a recessed outlet and wire management system that gets mounted behind the tv. It uses romex to wire back to a second plate that you install near your surge protector. There is then a trailing cord that goes from the second outlet to your surge protector.
The benefits of this system is that it puts your tv on the same surge as the rest of your equipment and in doing so reduces the chance of hum bars in your picture. go to www.sanus.com

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2012, 07:40 pm »
x2 on that Sanus piece - my brother used that when they installed his big screen.  Very tidy.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2012, 08:04 pm »
Sanus makes a piece called the ELM-805. It is a recessed outlet and wire management system that gets mounted behind the tv. It uses romex to wire back to a second plate that you install near your surge protector. There is then a trailing cord that goes from the second outlet to your surge protector.
The benefits of this system is that it puts your tv on the same surge as the rest of your equipment and in doing so reduces the chance of hum bars in your picture. go to www.sanus.com

Very cool!

Thanks,

George