The Great Horned Heil from the Horn Shoppe

xsb7244

The Great Horned Heil from the Horn Shoppe
« on: 10 May 2013, 11:45 pm »
You can buy it from Ed Schilling without the Heil.  This is a speaker I would consider....some day.  You guys that own this speaker convince me this is the one.  Let me hear it from you.

steve f

Re: The Great Horned Heil from the Horn Shoppe
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2013, 03:07 am »
I've owned them for years. They're stupid good ie sound better than expected. They are especially nice with small tube amps. What I like is that the upgrade path is very easy. Start with the basic
Horns. Add the Heils and external crossovers later.
The best part of the deal is that you get Ed's support. His idea of customer service is if you aren't happy, he isn't happy. Any of his speakers from the earliest to current production can be kept current at low cost. I believe nobody else in audio, at least from a manufacturers point of view, will treat you as good as Ed. His customers become part of a dedicated Horn Shoppe family. You can't go wrong. Highly recommended.

Steve

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2013, 03:11 am »
I agree!  Ed is a good guy and he offers a great value.  Have not heard them with the add on tweeters but his standard model is silly good.

steve f

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2013, 03:18 am »
The Horns with Heils are like good electrostatic speaker quick, but more dynamic. the presentation is a bit smaller unless you can get a bit of listening distance between you and the speakers. Moving mass is very light so control is exceptional. I've used them with OTL amp (Transcendent Sound) and an added sub. I have owned a lot of speakers over the years. These are good, really good.

Jolly

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2013, 05:28 pm »
   I heard the Horn Shoppe Horns at the NYC Stereophile Show six or seven years ago and I was very impressed, but for some reason I didn't purchase a pair until recently when I got a used pair and I am sorry I didn't buy them sooner. They are fantastic!!  I think they are one of the greatest bargains in audio and if Ed was any good at marketing the Horns they would be extremely popular and probably cost two or three times as much. I plan on trying the Heil tweeter when I have some additional funds and I have no doubt they will be well worth the additional investment or Ed would not have created the Heil Horns. BTW I use them with a pair of Bottlehead Paramount 300B monos.

xsb7244

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2013, 06:34 pm »
Have you used the Horns with two subwoofers for best results?  Also, is the Cube Bass Augmenter the same as a subwoofer?

abernardi

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2013, 06:16 am »
I like these speakers, I have an old pair I bought from someone here on AC.  In my room, they do sound "small" as Steve mentioned, and the high end sounded a little constricted.  But in their defense, my subs weren't operational when I had them in the system and I think it's an older driver.  Now I'm curious to try them again, especially with my Dodd battery amp.  What I liked best about these speakers was the rock solid imaging and they completely disappeared.  My current speakers have Heil type AMTs, so I can make an educated guess how they would sound with the Heil.  The Heil would open up that high end and get the bass worked out either w/placement in the corners or a sub and it could be tremendous. 

pardales

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2013, 09:46 am »
Owned em, loved em, would own them again.  :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2013, 02:56 pm »
Keep an eye out, I may have a (non-Heil) pair to list shortly....

Or shoot me a PM for details.

Horizons

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2013, 11:04 pm »
The horns are a fine speaker. Adding the Heils with the series crossover create a giant killer. The Heil driver with a fast small woofer sounds like a Maggie with more clarity, speed and dynamics. Also sounds like a Martin Logan on steroids. The Heil AMT driver is almost 40 years old and it took Ed Shilling to really bring them to life. Go figure. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

sebrof

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2013, 09:38 pm »
The Heil AMT driver is almost 40 years old and it took Ed Shilling to really bring them to life. Go figure. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
Ed may be doing great things with Heils, but it's been a very fine driver long before he started using them.

wisnon

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2013, 11:37 pm »
The horns are a fine speaker. Adding the Heils with the series crossover create a giant killer. The Heil driver with a fast small woofer sounds like a Maggie with more clarity, speed and dynamics. Also sounds like a Martin Logan on steroids. The Heil AMT driver is almost 40 years old and it took Ed Shilling to really bring them to life. Go figure. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Have you never heard of Heil AMT of Switzerland?

The Aulos, Syrinx and Kitahara have been winng accolades for years and the Aulos Bookshelf is doing the same, especially with the Subwoofer stand.

I myself have a pair of Syrinx for years and now will add the Aulos to make my own wall of sound.

2wo

« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 2013, 03:53 am »
I have had the Horns for 5 or 6 years and the Heils for a year or 2. they are great. So very real and natural sounding. I use a number of mostly SET amps or an F5.
 I roll in other speakers that in some way should be bigger or better, and maybe in some ways they are but for me, the Horns always win in the end...John