Bryston BDP-Pi

zoom25

Re: Bryston BDP-Pi
« Reply #260 on: 7 Jun 2018, 07:16 pm »
Apologies if this has been addressed already; recommendations for wifi dongle for the BDP-Pi so I don't have to punch a ton of holes in the walls of my house?  Right now running Netgear powerline which is spotty, and my dogs keep chewing through the ethernet cables.  TIA.

You can use Bryston's own dongle wireless adapter of course. I bought a Panda Wireless Pau07 for around $20 for use with my BDP-1. It works flawlessly. It has both 2.4 and 5 Ghz support. Very responsive, stable, and hasn't overheated in my setup. I've used it for weeks at a time without turning the unit off. You can even use it with things like Audioquest Jitterbug and it will work fine.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #261 on: 8 Jun 2018, 02:23 am »
Thanks, I'll try it out.

bencholette

Re: Bryston BDP-Pi (VU meter display not working)
« Reply #262 on: 4 Jul 2018, 01:33 pm »
Hi guys,

I recently got my BDP-Pi setup and running, but can't get the VU meter display to function.  I can get the album art to display, but no VU meters.  I'm using the Pi as a Roon player (not connected with USB, I use the SPDIF output).  Any ideas?

Thanks!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #263 on: 4 Jul 2018, 11:19 pm »
Hi guys,

I recently got my BDP-Pi setup and running, but can't get the VU meter display to function.  I can get the album art to display, but no VU meters.  I'm using the Pi as a Roon player (not connected with USB, I use the SPDIF output).  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sorry, not currently supported

Calypte

« Reply #264 on: 5 Jul 2018, 03:30 am »
Sorry, not currently supported
Which part -- the VU meter display or Roon in conjunction with the VU meter display?  The VU meter is described in the manual.

Edited to add: Cover art and VU meter functions work fine on my BDP-pi.  But I don't use Roon.
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2018, 06:46 am by Calypte »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #265 on: 5 Jul 2018, 09:33 am »
Which part -- the VU meter display or Roon in conjunction with the VU meter display?  The VU meter is described in the manual.

Edited to add: Cover art and VU meter functions work fine on my BDP-pi.  But I don't use Roon.

HI

The VU meter is no longer supported.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #266 on: 5 Jul 2018, 04:11 pm »
Sorry, the VU meter is only available to MPD as only MPD is configured to send pi_phy (the program that handles the BDP-Pi's display and buttons) the needed data as MPD can output to multiple sources simultaneously.  We may alter this in future firmware releases, but it would need to be in a way that wouldn't compromise sound quality.

Chris

Calypte

« Reply #267 on: 5 Jul 2018, 05:39 pm »
HI

The VU meter is no longer supported.

james
The VU meter is highly uninformative.

bencholette

« Reply #268 on: 5 Jul 2018, 05:44 pm »
The VU meter is highly uninformative.

The tiny little screen itself is highly uninformative, but I was thinking / hoping the VU meter display would be a fun little option to use (if it actually worked along with Roon :(   , but disappointingly no success).

Calypte

« Reply #269 on: 5 Jul 2018, 07:07 pm »
My music is mostly classical, with lots of dynamic contrast.  The VU bars have no scale, so there's no way you can easily compare the displayed values.  I understand that the scale isn't linear, but it seemed to me that there wasn't much difference between the loudest and softest passages.  It's cute, not useful.

bencholette

« Reply #270 on: 5 Jul 2018, 07:14 pm »
My music is mostly classical, with lots of dynamic contrast.  The VU bars have no scale, so there's no way you can easily compare the displayed values.  I understand that the scale isn't linear, but it seemed to me that there wasn't much difference between the loudest and softest passages.  It's cute, not useful.

I agree, just thought it would be nice if the feature actually worked for this (and all) other applications that it is built around, so it could be utilized and played with.

Calypte

« Reply #271 on: 6 Jul 2018, 07:23 am »
I have a question for Mr. Tanner or Unincognito.  The display on the LCD panel blacks out after 60 sec.  At least that's what it's doing tonight.  In the very recent past I've had it where it blacked out after 10 min.  I've done something to change it, but I don't know what.  What I would like is for it to stay lit 30 min or more.   Is there a way to control this?  I've looked at the navigation chart on p.7 of the manual, but I don't see a setting for this.

Edited to add: OK, I've found the setting for this.  Thanks.

martydmnt

« Reply #272 on: 17 Jul 2018, 03:16 am »
I've decided to dip my toes into the Bryston BDP waters by trying out a previously owned Pi. I did manage to make a little progress  and get it connected wirelessly to my network using an old Asus 801.2g usb adapter, though not reliably (I know it's not officially supported so that's ok). It appears to have also recognized the external USB drive I loaded some music on to. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to start up using the MPD playback instead of Roon. I can't seem to locate the setting to do this. I can go in and change the playback to MPD via the web interface, but when I reboot, it returns to Roon. It's a newbie question, I know, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Calypte

« Reply #273 on: 17 Jul 2018, 10:50 pm »
I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem.  I've never tried Roon.  In fact, I'm not clear why I would want it.  But when I got my BDP-pi back in early January, I couldn't get sound out of it.  I take that back -- I had one .flac download that did, in fact, give me clearly audible (and very good!) sound.  But nothing else would play.  I could see the time tick off in the Magic Moose app, and I could see the track listings, but there was no sound.  I was on the verge of sending the BDP-pi back to Audio Advisor.  But I decided to take one last look at the Manic Moose dashboard settings.  Under "Audio Devices" there was a check box for "HiFi Berry Digi" that was blank.  I clicked on it.  Music!

martydmnt

« Reply #274 on: 18 Jul 2018, 04:26 pm »
But I decided to take one last look at the Manic Moose dashboard settings.  Under "Audio Devices" there was a check box for "HiFi Berry Digi" that was blank.  I clicked on it.  Music!

Thanks. I am managing to get music out of it after I switch the playback to MPD. It's just kind of odd that when I reboot it I see "Roon" on the screen and need to use the web interface to change to MPD. Not that it's particularly convenient, but it does preclude me from using the front panels buttons to play back music from an attached storage device.

pwhinson

« Reply #275 on: 24 Jul 2018, 09:49 pm »
Is this an alternative to the MicroRendu if I want to use Audirvana as my control software?  In other words, will Audirvana "see" the BDP-pi as a source?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #276 on: 31 Jul 2018, 04:08 pm »
Beautiful and well thought out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ5pHFnPLMk

Marius

« Reply #277 on: 7 Aug 2018, 09:55 am »
Hey James,

Please allow me a more fundamental question, I hope you won't take bad on me:

Ive been playing with Pi's at the place here, in several setups and use-cases. A few in Home automation systems, Home-Assistant to be precise, and, I must confess, 2 in HifiBerry setups for throwing a garden party .... (sorry...)

The HifiBerry's never got to work, and were replaced twice. In the first system the Pi board was faulty, the second try made the HifiBerry go down on 1 channel. Within a few hours...

The Home-Assistant setups are rather fragile too, especially in warmer situations as I have been able to establish. We have a rather warm summer, and 1 of the Pi's is installed in the attic which is up to 40 degrees celsius these days. Had to install heat sinks on the processor and lan connector for it to not stop functioning (processor temp over 80 degrees C).

Having a more than simple setup asks for a more robust computer for Home-Assistant than the Pi, which runs into frequent timing issues along the way.

That being the case, I was wondering how Bryston could reliably make the BDP-Pi and BryFi, based on these same boards (I've tested BDP3 and 3+ now, so not the 2). You must have changed a great deal on those boards.
Not talking about the power supply here, Ive had dedicated ones too, especially for the HifiBerry setup.

Again, please don't take this as critique of any kind, Im simply wondering how this educational board, which it obviously is, can form a safe base for professional products like yours and other industry leading manufacturers.

Thanks,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #278 on: 7 Aug 2018, 11:38 am »
Hi Marius

Sorry you have had issues but we have sold hundreds of the Pi and BryFi products and this is the first I have heard of any heat issues.

james

Marius

« Reply #279 on: 7 Aug 2018, 10:01 pm »
Hi Marius

Sorry you have had issues but we have sold hundreds of the Pi and BryFi products and this is the first I have heard of any heat issues.

james

glad to hear James, must be your implementation of the Pi that makes it work as desired. Didn't expect anything less  :thumb:

using it plain out of the box, it takes nothing (well 11% processor usage...) to get the processor up to 60 degrees Celsius , so doing a lot of calculations might easily cause heating up, especially when in a warmer surrounding.

cheers,
Marius