GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

Bjorn

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #980 on: 13 Jun 2011, 09:40 am »
I haven't had time to really listen to the Harpers yet. Just got them up and running. With almost no bass below 100 Hz it's also difficult to judge a speaker. But they seem to sound encredible clear, open and free of coloration/distortion.

Something I could actually try when comparing them to the Gradients, is to use the bass section of Gradients with the Harpers. I also have the eD 18" sub. But you need to give me some time. I'm not crudges after a surgery of ACL.

I will start a new thread since this is about Abbey and mainly jtwrace's setup. Perhaps a thread about Geddes speakers in general?

P.S. May also see me under a new nick. Would like to change the one I've to Bjorn (my first name).

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #981 on: 22 Jun 2011, 04:12 pm »
Jason was gracious enough to have me over for a listen this weekend.

This is my second time hearing Geddes speakers  and have heard the principle theories in action many times so I had an idea what to expect.  I've followed Geddes work for maybe 3-4 years now and respect his contribution to the hobby.  I think Jtwrace may have described his system somewhere in this thread so I won't bother much with that but just give some of my initial thoughts.

Cutting to the chase the system sounds very good.  Jtwrace has done a wonderful job integrating his subs with his mains and it makes the system a top tier performer for a typical home listening room.  Simply one of the better bass systems I've heard in a typical listening room.  In fact in all of my comments when I say typical listening room I mean that in a positive manner.  Not many people have dedicated audio rooms and even fewer will have purpose built rooms for home audio so it makes most sense to have components that perform well in the majority of real world rooms, a typical listening room.

The Geddes speaker and sub approach address that issue and Jtwrace has implemented the approach successfully and I think has achieved a very desirable result. I'm a bit biased as his system's theory and sound signature happen to aligned with mine.  Before the session I told Jtwrace all it would take for me is about 15 minutes to assess the system for my own personal tastes and the rest was academic or fluff.  During the session 15 minutes was about all it took and the rest was a matter of curiously hearing how something sounded on his system or just wanting to here a song for enjoyment rather than assessing the system.

Basically my take away is that his system is very nicely balanced, leans on the side of neutral and communicates. In a nutshell we went from starting out with Tool and the system plays rock with some balls which is key for me.  Here is a place where Jtwrace's system shines for the common man in a typical room.  His system has the elusive "gut punch" that's missing in a great many hi-fi systems in typical rooms.  Kick drums kick with great attack and force (speakers) and the decay is weighty and taut (subs) to combine for the elusive "gut punch" and IMO the speaker/sub integration is a major part of the enjoyment of the system. I know a good kick drum when I feel it and his system is about as good as any I've heard in a typical room. Hats off to Jtwrace for getting it set up well.

Somewhere in the middle we listened to "Dance of the Tumblers from The Snow Maiden" which played with a nice sense of vibrancy, clarity and verve.  Spirited transient attacks, wonderfully dynamic and entertaining as it should be.

At the end was Mighty Sam McClain "Hanging on a Cross" and it was Sam in all his blues finest.  I use it as a show stopper reference track for me and show stop it did, Jtwrace's system highlights this tunes dynamic percussion and horn work. We were listening at a good volume before but then he was really liking Mighty Sam or sensed I was enjoying it and turned it up louder.  An important point, this is where a great many systems would have bit the dust but having a well designed speaker like the Abbey with pro components (a very important feature), controlled directivity and the care in system set up as he has done and it allows you to go to that next level on the volume without everything falling to pieces due to driver compression and very audible distortions. So we went along for the ride and you get rewarded with your own private concert in many ways.  Close your eyes and to a large degree you can imagine that Mighty Sam and the boys are right there on stage.  A very credible reproduction of a live amplified concert of your very own.

"Hanging on a Cross" can test your system's dynamic potential (not just sheer output but soft to loud), transient attack etc... The percussion and horns can smack quick and hard if your system is capable.  Jtwrace's system is such and can deliver the smack you upside the head dynamics that make listening fun and engaging.  For me "Hanging on a Cross" is a goosebumps song and it's why I use it as a reference, it's great music, recorded well and when played back as I like it can give me goosebumps and his system blasting at 100+ dB peaks as he pointed out gave me the goosebumps I expect from this song.  A sound so engaging, loud, dynamic, tuneful and musical on this track that you have to respond emotionally and/or physically.  We both may have begun to go through the audiophile motions at about this point with the testing but Mighty Sam changed the vibe and shined well in this system.  I think Jason said something like this guy is awesome and I was thinking and he sounds bad-ass right now too.

Last was The Fairfield Four that Jason recommended and it sounded great. Wonderful artists, nice recording and the take away here is yes there is meat on Them Bones of the vocalists.  Singers have body and mass in Jtwrace's system as it should be.  Again, I can't stress enough the pleasing sound in a typical room, no magic or voodoo, and can be achieved by the average listener.  The room plays a vital role in music reproduction, we fight it or try to work with it at every turn.  A system like this leverages its components and minimizes the room's effect to a noticeable degree.  Very early on in the listening session Jtwrace asked me what would I do to improve his system, I think trying to get a feel for where I was coming from.  I told him I accept each system on its own and listen for a few critical things above all else.  Bottom line is Jtwrace's system is not perfect, none is, pointless to even mention.  Are there areas for improvement, of course, but it's mostly a matter of taste or preference or expectation of a higher order beyond the reality of the situation.  Did this system get my mojo working, yes sir. Did this system hit the technical marks that show a sign of good gear and good set up, yes sir, did this system make me have an "Oh Yeah" moment, yes sir.  Then this system has done it's job for me and I'd be happy to call it my own.

But what about sound staging, imaging, mid-range liquidity, extended highs... yeah what about it.
The system does good things in these areas but that's to miss the point to me and frankly is boring in this context.
The main thing I mean to communicate is this system is bad-ass for the common man/audiophile or what have you.

If you are looking for a Rolls Royce hi-fi system then keep looking but if you're looking for a Corvette ZR1 hi-fi system then put your money down and get ready to enjoy the ride.  Like many of us I've owned enough and heard enough to know in spaces most people have and how they will use the system the Geddes products are about as sensible and well performing as I can imagine.  Jtwrace has a typical FROG and it isn't going to get much better sounding in that space than what he has put together.

For humor:
I don't always like to recommend gear but when I do I prefer Geddes.
Happy listening my friends.

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2011, 07:00 pm by launche »

ebag4

« Reply #982 on: 22 Jun 2011, 04:27 pm »
Nice review Launche.  Sounds like you have a winner there Jason, congrats.

Best,
Ed

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #983 on: 22 Jun 2011, 05:12 pm »
Launche,

One of the most enjoyable reviews I've read! And I don't mean it cause you reviewed a Geddes system. I say it because you definitely have the flair and can carry the reader from paragraph to paragraph while describing the system almost as if I were there (of course I've heard Jason's system numerous times).

When I get my system cobbled together in the new house/room I'll give you a holler.

This review was polished and well worth the wait  :thumb:.

Thanks!

Anand.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #984 on: 22 Jun 2011, 05:39 pm »
I suspect that many would be interested in hearing a shootout between optimally tweaked  Abbey's and  Super V's. Albeit somewhat of a price differential but perhaps the Super V setup could have a couple more of the servo subs to even the playing field. These are two of the most talked about speaker systems that are based on clearly different concepts therefore an excellent face-off. :thumb:

-Roy

drmike

« Reply #985 on: 22 Jun 2011, 05:53 pm »
launche,
great review, i'd love to hear the geddes speakers.
mighty sam is a friend of mine, his wife sandra works for me. i saw him firday night in watertown ma. he performed scent of a reunion with mahsa vahdat. it was superb, msm can move the soul!
drmike

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #986 on: 22 Jun 2011, 06:19 pm »
launche,
great review, i'd love to hear the geddes speakers.
mighty sam is a friend of mine, his wife sandra works for me. i saw him firday night in watertown ma. he performed scent of a reunion with mahsa vahdat. it was superb, msm can move the soul!
drmike

Well any friend of Mighty Sam is a friend of mine for sure.
I heard about that show but too far for me.  If he's ever closer to NC I'll surely try to be there.  I was just looking at picking up Scent of a reunion off Sam's website.  He indeed can move the soul.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #987 on: 22 Jun 2011, 06:39 pm »
Great job launche!   :thumb:

It was a pleasure to have you over for sure.

ebag4

« Reply #988 on: 22 Jun 2011, 07:18 pm »
At the end was Mighty Sam McClain "Hanging on a Cross" and it was Sam in all his blues finest. 

Great stuff, thanks for bringing this to our attention, outstanding!! :thumb:

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Sam-Mcclain/dp/B00000652M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308769931&sr=8-1

Best,
Ed

dwr

« Reply #989 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:27 am »
Wow that review was a great read as I come up on the 1 year mark of owning my pair of Abbey 12A speakers. I have enjoyed many of the same thoughts and feelings from my system as was described in the review.

Dan

dwr

« Reply #990 on: 10 Jul 2011, 02:25 pm »
Well it was one year ago today that I picked up my Abbey 12A speakers from Dr. Geddes. The first year has been great listening to the best sound I have had in my room in the 30 some odd years that I have had a system.

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #991 on: 10 Jul 2011, 04:53 pm »
Well it was one year ago today that I picked up my Abbey 12A speakers from Dr. Geddes. The first year has been great listening to the best sound I have had in my room in the 30 some odd years that I have had a system.

Dan

Congrats!   :thumb:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #992 on: 15 Jul 2011, 02:01 pm »
Why can't folks own these here in the SE. Darn... :wink:

cheers,

AJ

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #993 on: 15 Jul 2011, 02:14 pm »
Why can't folks own these here in the SE. Darn... :wink:

cheers,

AJ

They do!  Just not in your part of the SE.   :wink:

Bear

« Reply #994 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:18 am »
Are any Abbey to Maggie comparisons available anywhere on the web?  Anyone here have any?

Shane

dwr

« Reply #995 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:47 am »
Hi Shane,

I don't know of any Maggie to Abbey comparisons out there, myself I used to own Martin Logan electrostatics (Ascent i) and Linkwitz Orions before my Abbey 12A speakers. With the Logans, I could never get the bass to "match up" with the panels to my liking at all. The mid range was just excellent and I had no complaints there at all. The Orions just did not play loud well at all. Lower volume jazz and the such sounded real good but when you really stepped on the gas with the Orions it just wasn't good at all. Now that I have the multi sub system set up I have my eye open for a pair of Martin Logan CLS originals or IIz, I want to hear how they sound with the multi sub system. No I would not get rid of the Abbeys, they are here to stay for the duration, I just really want to hear how a pair of CLS stats sound with the multiple subs.

Dan     

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #996 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:50 am »
As someone who has owned 4 pairs of ML's and actually auditioned Maggies before the Abbey purchase these are just unlike anything I've heard.

I think "mgalusha" said it best, Abbeys are like electrostats with balls. 

dwr

« Reply #997 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:55 am »
Jason,
What models of Logans did you have???

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #998 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:57 am »
Jason,
What models of Logans did you have???

Dan

CLS > CLS IIz > QuestZ > Summit

dwr

« Reply #999 on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:04 am »
Of the original CLS or the IIz which did you like better, and give me your opinion on how you think they would sound using the multi sub set up.

Dan