Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
« on: 24 Mar 2007, 05:22 pm »
I've just started hearing about people using this to clean their stylii.  I swear by the Onzow Zerodust, but I know some people balk at spending $70 for a glop of goo (I agree...this should have cost about $30 at the most...but it works!).  I have a couple of the Magic Erasers in my house, but I think I would be too scared to use one on my Koetsu.  But does anyone else use them?

The opinions seem to be mixed overall.  If it does actually work, then it would be a great (and CHEAP) thing for vinyl lovers!

Toka

Re: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2007, 05:31 pm »
It does work, absolutely...the generally accepted method is to cut off a small wedge and place it on something solid (some people use coins). Then place that on the platter (white side up) and lower the sylus onto it as you would the Zerodust. Up/down 2-3 times, giving the stylus a brush (with a stylus brush, not the eraser) both before and after. No side-to-side movement at all (though some people 'rub' the eraser on the stylus, but thats a bit risky to me). People have taken close-up shots of styli with up to a 1,000 hours on them and they look brand new after cleaning (pics have been posted on AA). Same basic prinicple as the Zerodust, really. I'd try it on something less expensive first, just to be sure you've got the process down.  :wink: I dug out some old Shure carts I 'found' in the basement, and $3 and 5 minutes later, they looked like I just bought them.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2007, 06:52 pm »
I'm tempted to try it.  It's just that I've munched two Koetsu cantilevers already, and I get really nervous even when I use the Zerodust. 

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2007, 07:30 pm »
I'll have to try this...I bought a pack of Magic Erasers a while back, and they fell apart trying to clean raised white lettering on my tires, I'd imagine this is a much less demanding task :D