Anyone get the new Rega P1 yet?

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
Anyone get the new Rega P1 yet?
« on: 6 Mar 2007, 02:53 am »
What do you think of it?  Did the dealer ask you if you wanted to upgrade the cartridge to an Ortofon OM-10 or 20?  What do you think of the MDF platter?  Have any of you gone onto e-Bay and bought a glass platter?

I heard a stock Rega P1 over at Jeff's house a couple of weeks ago, a stock one, and I was slightly underwhelmed.  I have a P2 that I use in a second system, and the stock P1 doesn't come close.  And that MDF platter looks wobbly and appears to lack close tolerances.

HOWEVER...I just heard a P1 with a glass platter that the owner bought off e-Bay.  His dealer recommended an OM-10 at the very least, and preferably an OM-20 or 30.  He went with the 20, which is one of my favorite cheap cartridges, and the sound was a lot closer to my P2.  I would imagine the differences would be mostly because of the cartridges (I use a Rega Bias 2 on my P2).

So...what are your experiences?  What have you tried?

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
Re: Anyone get the new Rega P1 yet?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2007, 01:45 am »
Wow, no one has a P1 yet?  I know that they're backordered and all, but I've still talked to a few other people who have them already.  And I've heard two different ones so far, like I said above.

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2007, 12:29 pm »
I was looking at one but the MDF platter just makes me think "el cheapo". I think Rega needs to replace the platter with glass or a polymer, then I would be tempted.

W 8)

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2007, 04:45 pm »
You can update the platter through your rega dealer, its a 65 dollar
add on...

Or you can find a used one on Ebay.  There are often people that have
bought an aftermarket platter to upgrade their P3 or P25 and they
usually go for $25-35...

Makes a nice upgrade, easy to do, not very expensive.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2007, 09:32 pm »
You can update the platter through your rega dealer, its a 65 dollar
add on...

Or you can find a used one on Ebay.  There are often people that have
bought an aftermarket platter to upgrade their P3 or P25 and they
usually go for $25-35...

Makes a nice upgrade, easy to do, not very expensive.

Are the Rega dealers actually doing that now?  Wow!

I wish I'd known that a few days ago, before I submitted a column to one of those "other guys."

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2007, 06:58 pm »
A dealer friend of mine is selling the glass platter with the felt mat as an "upgrade kit" for $69.  Is there any problem with the stock mat that comes with the P1?  I remember it being kind of floppy and not sitting right on the MDF platter, but I thought that was the platter's fault.  Did they cheap out on the mat, too?

reddmadder

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2007, 07:06 pm »
Hi,
 I bought the P1 as my re-entry into vinyl...It sounded pretty good for the $,so much so, that it got me back into vinyl and I upgraded to the p5 in 2 weeks.
 I think once you taste vinyl on this player you really get the sense of how good vinyl is and how much further you can take it with upgrades.
   R.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2007, 11:36 am by reddmadder »

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2007, 08:40 pm »
I wonder if that means there's going to be a lot of used P1s on the market very soon...