Welcome to GAS

gixxerific

Re: Welcome to GAS
« Reply #80 on: 8 Nov 2008, 10:46 pm »

I used to compete in car stereo as well, and was a bass head.  I had a car that would push close to 140db back in 1993, before those kinds of SPL numbers were common.  You'll quickly stop putting so much emphasis on bass once you get into home stereo, because just like car stereo bass is the easiest thing to get right.  [/quote]

Yo! I would assume that you are the same Spkr_Bldr from Audioholics. Thanks for the link to this site. So far it is pretty damn cool.

You were big in car audio huh maybe you can tell me what you think of my system. 100% done by me including the sub box. It's not a BOOM box but it booms very much but quietly, you know what I mean. Decent soundstage and all but it is in a truck not the greatest of formats to run high SQ.

We need to get together somtime just to hang and talk stereo and music.

My home shit sucks and I NEED new stuff badly.

Well anywa'ys I'm new, here cool site

Dono 8)

wedweb

« Reply #81 on: 10 Nov 2008, 02:22 am »
Just to let everyone know if I am an altectonian........this is my youngest son in 2005 at age 2 with my recent purchase of 4 Stonehenge I's.  Though 2 have had their woofers replaced with RS woofers, they still sound good.  And I did pick up another tweeter to replace the RS tweeter in the 2nd from the right.

Bo

Any guesses on the price I paid for each?  Not counting the driving up and back to get them in Springfield.....
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2008, 02:46 am by wedweb »

gixxerific

« Reply #82 on: 10 Nov 2008, 11:47 pm »
Just to let everyone know if I am an altectonian........this is my youngest son in 2005 at age 2 with my recent purchase of 4 Stonehenge I's.  Though 2 have had their woofers replaced with RS woofers, they still sound good.  And I did pick up another tweeter to replace the RS tweeter in the 2nd from the right.

Bo

Any guesses on the price per each?  Not counting the driving up and back to get them in Springfield.....

Are those for you huge Quadrophonic album collection. :wink:

No, but really If you have ask us to guess the price it's probably pretty steep.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #83 on: 11 Nov 2008, 12:03 am »
Yo! I would assume that you are the same Spkr_Bldr from Audioholics. Thanks for the link to this site. So far it is pretty damn cool.

You were big in car audio huh maybe you can tell me what you think of my system. 100% done by me including the sub box. It's not a BOOM box but it booms very much but quietly, you know what I mean. Decent soundstage and all but it is in a truck not the greatest of formats to run high SQ.

We need to get together somtime just to hang and talk stereo and music.

My home shit sucks and I NEED new stuff badly.

Well anywa'ys I'm new, here cool site

Dono 8)

Yea, that's me ... I competed in some USAC competitions back in the mid-late 90's with a '91 RX-7 Turbo.  I was pretty 'cutting edge' at the time, using Focal home audio drivers and an all active crossover setup.  I even had an Infinite Baffle sub setup at one time, where the back side of the 15" woofer was vented to the outside air.  I always did SQ competitions, I still have a stack of the Adcom amps I used at the time ... couldn't bring myself to sell them, and now they're worth more than they were new!  Pure Class-A amps btw.

I'd gladly checkout your truck setup.  I still have some pretty good ideas for car setups, and could measure things for you with my software.  Are you a cigar smoker?  There's a cigar shop in Chesterfield Valley that's a good 1/2 way meeting point  :wink:

gixxerific

« Reply #84 on: 11 Nov 2008, 01:55 am »
Turbo:   Adcom huh, making me drool over here. I only wish I had amps that nice. Measuring my system sounds good except you will probably think it sucks compared to....
It could probably use some work, if not a lot of work. Everyone I know thinks it's pretty good, as do I on some days. Other day's I just want to rip it out and start again.

You got PM and I don't mean the crampy kind.

wedweb

« Reply #85 on: 11 Nov 2008, 02:45 am »
Those were $15 each at a Springfield Goodwill.  I was up there for a class, found them at lunch, bought them, drove home on Friday, drove back up on Saturday with the van and picked them up and drove home.  So, a little more than $15 each after gas and a tweeter for about $12. :)

I have an Altec 9872-B cabinet and gear for a center channel.  I don't think I need a subwoofer.  The room will be 15'x13'.  :)

Bo

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #86 on: 21 Jan 2009, 10:25 pm »
Been in St Louis now for 5 years...live in Lake St Louis and work in Westport Area.

Started out long ago with Rotel gear and entry level B&W speakers (wish I could get those DM302's back!)
Graduated to McIntosh integrated amplification and B&W N803.
Played around with a Cary SLI-80 with HD600s...no more phones and tubes for me thanks.
Recently upgraded to McIntosh MC501 monoblocks which really OPENED up the 803's!!!
Tried BAT preamp and cdp but was not overly impressed....hello Audiogon
Sold my 803's and bought a pair of AV124 Encore x-lx towers as interim until I pick up my Thiel CS7.2s.
Currently running a Pioneer Elite DV-47A into a Parasound JC-2 pre (AWESOME) into the MC501's.
I'm due to pick up the mighty Thiel CS7.2s this weekend.
Nest item on the shopping list is the McIntosh MCD500...as soon as the money tree blossums once again!

I like jazz from Ahmad Jamal to Ornette Coleman, Thelonius Monk, Miles, Coltrane, Byrd, etc...
Fusion such as Weather Report, Michael Landau and RTF...saw them live at the recent FOX concert (AWESOME)
Avantgard jazz-rock such as Whit Dickey, Tony Levin/Robert Fripp/Crimson side projects, Joe Morris, Elliot Sharp, John Zorn ...love the Electric Masada Project and Book of Angels
Crooners like Sinatra, Crosby, Bennett, Willie Nelson and Elvis Costello...Ella Fitzgerald, Diana Krall, Patricia Barber.
Still appreciate ELP and the Doors, some Eagles but because most of the recordings where done so poorly I'm not as fond of listening to such.
Occasional hardcore punk or lounge music when I'm in weird moods...

I like attending concerts at Jazz at the Bistro, the Fox, Powell and Sheldon.
So far I've seen John Scofield, Mike Stern and good 4 the soul.
I still kick myself for missing Ahmad Jamal at the Sheldon.

Starting to build a sizeable classic collection...Lots of Sibelius, Shostakovich, Mahler, Bruckner, Debussy, Stravinsky, Liszt, Chopin and even a few operas to boot!!!

Tim Simpson mentioned this site to me so I thought I'd chime in and say hello to all the local audio junkies!

I also enjoy motorcycle riding on the backroads around New Melle, Marthasville, Defiance, Augusta area...at a fairly brisk pace, early on weekend mornings when traffic is light.  Looking forward to warmer weather

steve k

« Reply #87 on: 21 Jan 2009, 10:41 pm »
Welcome aboard! From your background it sounds like you'll fit right in around here. Lots of good music your talking there and gear too. I'd love to hear Dave Holland at the Sheldon this weekend but I'm a little light on cash these days. Saw Metheny and Mehldau there and the audience didn't want to go home.

Look forward to meeting you at the next get together.
steve k

electricbear

« Reply #88 on: 22 Jan 2009, 12:26 am »
Glad you found your way here Eric.

Blackmore

« Reply #89 on: 22 Jan 2009, 12:13 pm »
Welcome aboard and here's to hoping you host a get-together when those big Thiels are set up.  We'll have to work on that "tube aversion"  :lol:  It's been quiet around GAS world lately, but it will pick up as the weather improves.  Hope to meet you soon.   

RSquires

• Main System
« Reply #90 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:17 pm »
Welcome. I started talking with the guys on this board a few months ago and it has been great. It sounds like you have a nice system. I agree with Blackmore that you need to let us hear the Thiels when setup! :)

Rick

Scott F.

« Reply #91 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:38 pm »
Welcome aboard Eric  :thumb:

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #92 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:47 pm »

Welcome to the club. Those 7.2 Thiels should be awesome. :thumb:
Chris H.

KnowTalent

« Reply #93 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:20 pm »
Welcome aboard and here's to hoping you host a get-together when those big Thiels are set up.  We'll have to work on that "tube aversion"  :lol:  It's been quiet around GAS world lately, but it will pick up as the weather improves.  Hope to meet you soon.   

I'd be happy to have some quests over for some listening sessions though I have somewhat of a dediicated listening room with only one chair so we'd have to take turns!

Here's an older picture of my layout....

The front end is fairly dead....probably 50-60db drop...no echo whatsoever when I'm yelling at the cat for jumping up on the rack when I get up to change CDs.
Since then I have added two rockwool stuffed wicker hampers along the front wall in place of the couch cushions.
The Encore x-ls are going to a friend once the Thiels show up.

As far as breaking me of "Tube Aversion".... I love the sound of tubes but I just don't want to deal with the operational hassle, the heat draws the cat and most important I don't like being beholdened to tube dealers.  A properly synergized SS system gets me 99% of the way there imo.

Cats love any SS gear that runs in Class A...and tubes!!! great place for catnapping

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #94 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:35 pm »
Hi Eric

Welcome to the club!  Great bunch of guys here. 

Whenever you're ready to be invaded, drop a note.  I'd like to hear what the new Thiels are like.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #95 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:44 pm »
Welcome aboard Eric, glad to have you!  :wave:

Bob

KnowTalent

« Reply #96 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:51 pm »
Hi Eric

Welcome to the club!  Great bunch of guys here. 

Whenever you're ready to be invaded, drop a note.  I'd like to hear what the new Thiels are like.

Bryan

The woofers are still at Thiel for refurb and the covers are being replaced with new fabric.  Should be done soon but most likely next weekend...anticipation....
The Encore's bottom out around 42-45hz and do a pretty good job of pressurizing the room, the Thiels rated down to 25hz should be devestating for those not acclimated to subwoofer systems.  I have a pipe organ recording that will probably get me evicted and possibly do structural damage.
I recently replaced all my picture hangers with OOK's hooks and moved the acrylic fish tank into the hallway....just to be safe

steve k

« Reply #97 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:40 pm »
Now your talking! aa We have some particularly well recorded pipe organ discs don't we guys?

KnowTalent

« Reply #98 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:47 pm »
Now your talking! aa We have some particularly well recorded pipe organ discs don't we guys?

Woolsey Hall in all its glory!!!

sturgus

« Reply #99 on: 23 Jan 2009, 12:40 am »
Welcome to the group Eric. I like your taste in music. We will have to get together some time and do some listening. Would love to hear those Thiel's , I always liked them. Post some pic's when you get them up and running.
Sturgus