Welcome to GAS

Spkr_Bldr

• Certified Hack
Re: Welcome to GAS
« Reply #60 on: 29 Jul 2008, 04:38 pm »
I live right near westport plaza, but Im looking at houses now so I won't be in this same place next year.  My biggest thing in audio is getting the bass as punchy as possible.  I been messing around with isobaric systems and I am going to try a regular push/pull system whenever I have time. 

I used to compete in car stereo as well, and was a bass head.  I had a car that would push close to 140db back in 1993, before those kinds of SPL numbers were common.  You'll quickly stop putting so much emphasis on bass once you get into home stereo, because just like car stereo bass is the easiest thing to get right.  Our ears just aren't good at telling tonal differences on bass notes, I'd expect your emphasis will quickly change to the midrange - getting that right is much more of a challenge.  And the real magic of home stereo is getting imaging the way you want it, something you can never do in a car.

Since you're house shopping, get some ideas about what a proper audio room should be and add that to your list of what your house needs  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #61 on: 4 Aug 2008, 10:01 pm »
My biggest thing in audio is getting the bass as punchy as possible.

Welcome Mr. Centipede.
You need punchy? We GOT punchy  8) aa
Looking forward to seeing you at some of of the houses dude!

Again, Welcome to GAS.  :thumb:

Bob

sturgus

« Reply #62 on: 5 Aug 2008, 03:36 am »
I also would like to offer a hearty welcome and a word of caution. Hanging out with these guys can cause life altering consequence's .  :D  Escape while you can. If you do decide to stay then I suggest some sort of  therapy and looking for a second job, you will need them both. :lol:
Sturgus

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #63 on: 5 Aug 2008, 05:45 pm »
Ain't THAT the truth.  :lol:

Rex Everything

• Japanese McIntosh?
« Reply #64 on: 20 Oct 2008, 04:33 am »
Hi all,

I met a few of you this past weekend at Daves place. It was a great time and I'm looking forward to meeting more of you and hanging out on the board with all of you.

Looking forward to the next meet.

Paul

MerRev

« Reply #65 on: 20 Oct 2008, 05:06 am »
hi Paul,

it was great to meet you and hang out with a few other AK folks as well.  Dave's house/vintage stereo store was awfully cool and I walked away with a greater appreciation for the big horns.   :drool:

The K-horns loaded the room so easily and it was quite an experience. 

Chris

BigRick

• Gateway Audio Society
« Reply #66 on: 29 Oct 2008, 08:04 am »
I'm new to this forum but it's cool to see a group of audiophiles get together, strength in numbers and all that.  I would like to maybe get in on some of the demoing going on in and around STL I'm from St. Louis but right now I'm stuck in Columbia.  I came over from AVS and AV123, I really like the whole regional setup going on over here.  Anyway just saying hi, looks like I have a lot to learn fro you guys.

If anyone is interested, I am selling a Klipsch Reference 5.1 set up, PM me if interested, or just have questions.

DeadFish

« Reply #67 on: 30 Oct 2008, 03:26 am »
Hey Big Rick!

Is that like Columbia the country or Columbia, IL??
I know that IL is like the other side of the world, and all, and I'm 50 miles from Scott F., but I still get over there now and then.
And we still boogie on THIS side of the river as well, if G and Mike were here to tell you!
 :wink:
Just keep yer eyes and ears open.  If I ever get more of my home deconstruction healed, I'll be hoping to having folks over.

Welcome aboard!

DeadFish

BigRick

• Gateway Audio Society
« Reply #68 on: 30 Oct 2008, 04:39 am »
Columbia MO actually, a little about the same distance away though.  I go to Mizzou. 

DeadFish

« Reply #69 on: 30 Oct 2008, 04:41 am »
Columbia MO actually, a little about the same distance away though.  I go to Mizzou. 

Well, it's STILL worth the drive!  8)

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #70 on: 30 Oct 2008, 04:58 am »

Woot!  Mizzou grad here ... I really miss Columbia!

Welcome to the group.

Scott F.

« Reply #71 on: 30 Oct 2008, 12:13 pm »
Welcome aboard Rick  :thumb:

You'll definitely have to make the trek in from Mizzou. We've got a pretty good variety of different systems to listen to, everything from digital amps and high powered solid state to high powered tubes to SET's and Hi-E speakers. Be careful though, listening some of these systems can be detrimental to your wallet.

Be sure to watch the GAS Circle for upcoming events, in fact the next one is at (the other) Rick's on 11/8.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 31 Oct 2008, 09:10 pm »
Welcome to the club Rick. Good to have you on board!  :thumb:

Bob

wedweb

« Reply #73 on: 7 Nov 2008, 12:03 pm »
Hi, TurboFC3S/Ryan over at AVSforum mentioned your site and I followed.  I am into audio and video gear.  I have a collection of old and older vintage gear.  I have vinyl which I keep collecting for some reason.  I am trying to put together my first LCD purchase and will need to replace an older broken Sony 5.1 receiver.  Plus I am looking at having my home theater feature a modern set of speakers and a vintage set, both at 5.1 and 5.0 resp.  I enjoy the gear and the music, but don't have enough cash to go audiophile. :)

I am Bo and I live in Troy, IL  and I am an audio and audio gear aholic. :)

I am interested in the 11/8 meeting but have many things on my plate this weekend, but look forward to involving yall in some of my pet projects.

Bo

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 7 Nov 2008, 12:17 pm »
Welcome Bo!  :wave:
Glad to have another HT (Home Theater) guy here.

Bob

DeadFish

« Reply #75 on: 7 Nov 2008, 03:27 pm »
Bo!

We gotta talk!
I'm your nearest 'new best friend'.  :green:

I work at the knife shop up in Troy, out by the truck stop and I live in collinsville.
My listening room is a total wreck as I have major renovations going on right now, and I don't get out to St. Louis gigs all the time, but I do make some and DO intend to make more. (yeah, guys, I know, but I'm the guy that HAS to work saturdays!)

I've got a fair share of vintage with at least a couple Dynaco amps and Altec speakers, besides some 'other stuff'.
When I *can* get to st louis, like out to Scott's (hmm, just about 65 miles for you) we can maybe carpool, so you are not too far off the map!

Talk atcha soon.
Bill

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #76 on: 7 Nov 2008, 04:24 pm »
Hey Bo, thanks for coming by ... sounds like you'll fit right into the group!  There are plenty of old farts into vintage stuff  :lol:

On question, what's the significance of WEDWEB?

Scott F.

« Reply #77 on: 7 Nov 2008, 06:39 pm »
There are plenty of old farts into vintage stuff  :lol:

Hey, we resemble that remark....well...some of us do.

Welcome aboard Bo  :thumb:

wedweb

« Reply #78 on: 8 Nov 2008, 12:26 am »
Bill, I bought a display case out there one time and I have some BSA knives I was wanting some advice on.

The WEDWEB is the first three letters of my last name and the web/internet.  It is the shortest easiest logon name I could come up with.  Too bad someone already has the website.

Bo

electricbear

« Reply #79 on: 8 Nov 2008, 09:30 pm »
Welcome to the mutation zone. The more time you spend around us the more your sense audio normality will get warped, just ask MerRev. Only joking, we are all about the fun aspects of our little hobby. Getting together, listening to music and takng shop.
Glad you made it on board.