Welcome to GAS

lofreek

Re: Welcome to GAS
« Reply #40 on: 27 Aug 2007, 08:43 pm »
I used to sell lots of Maggies. Levinson power amps were a particularly good fit for them. Vandersteens were also a big favorite. That big listening space in the front of the Crestwood Flip's was pretty great - very high ceiling, no rear wall issues.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #41 on: 27 Aug 2007, 09:53 pm »
Welcome! looking foreward to seeing you at one of the get-togethers Larry.  :wave:

Bob

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #42 on: 27 Aug 2007, 10:06 pm »
Larry....

Group sounds good, thanks for posting the Groove Thang link....  :thumb:
Nice work with the Steely Dan covers !!! :rock:

Scott F.

« Reply #43 on: 27 Aug 2007, 11:14 pm »
Larry,

Here are a couple of threads you may want to read so you can get caught up on whats going on with GAS right now,

First, our Reference Recording and our upcoming record label  :green:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43622.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43522.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43270.0

Next is the ongoing Nomad Audio Sentinel speaker GAS tour
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43344.0

Next is where to get GASware  :thumb:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=42242.0

Here you'll find pics of most of the gatherings we've had at various peoples homes.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;user=2504&page=1
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;user=595
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1149

That should just about cover the majority of it unless I missed something (which I likely did). You'll find that we are pretty loosely organized. Our gatherings are mainly smaller ones and sort of irregular. We do have a couple of major ones though, The Christmas bash in December and our Music Caravan in May. Steve, Tim, and myself are about the only ones that can handle big crowds (15+ people) at a time hence the smaller gatherings.

Don't feel intimidated though, if you want to host a gathering, just make a post and let everybody know the max number of people you can comfortably handle.  :green: Oh, and don't worry about your system. We are more about the camaraderie and music aspect of this hobby than being obsessed with gear (although we do have some really cool gear in the group  :wink: ).

DeadFish

« Reply #44 on: 27 Aug 2007, 11:39 pm »
Hey Larry! Glad to see you wandered in!

Me and the wife have enjoyed 'Groove Thang' more than once and look forward to more. 
Always looking forward to what kind of music people like who PLAY music I like, if you know what I mean.
Looking forward to meeting you, somewhere along the way.
You've found a good group!

Best Regards,
DeadFish

lofreek

« Reply #45 on: 29 Aug 2007, 03:02 pm »
So nice to hear from the fans.

There is a Groovethang offshoot in development. We will be focusing more on the smooth jazz element, including original music. There is no name yet for this group, but I will post info as it becomes available.

Looking forward to meeting all of you as well.

Sonic Nirvana

« Reply #46 on: 8 Nov 2007, 03:33 am »
Hello everyone. My name is Josh and I am just getting into high quality audio. I don't have a setup yet, but am trying to learn and listen as much as I can. Briefly about myself, I am a resident in Internal Medicine as St. John's and am a St. Louis native. I currently reside in U. City. I look forward to participating in this group and picking some of your brains.

steve k

« Reply #47 on: 8 Nov 2007, 04:05 am »
Welcome Josh!
New members are always welcome here. I'm sure if you ask any one of us you'll get different advice on putting together a "good" system but all good information. We're all on our own journeys. We're pretty low key without a lot of equipment envy though. It's more about the music for us.
steve

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #48 on: 8 Nov 2007, 04:11 am »
Fresh meat  :thumb:

If you're looking to put a system together Josh, I think a good plan would be to just ask here who's got what they would like to get rid of.  I think each of us have about 5 spare systems we could sell  :icon_lol:

sturgus

« Reply #49 on: 8 Nov 2007, 05:40 am »
Josh, Welcome aboard. Glad to have another like minded  chap who is worthy of corruption.:green: Just like Steve said we are very laid back and love music almost as much as we love gear. :D You are more than welcome to drop by and have a listen. I also would take heed to what Turbo said. There is a lot of extra gear among the group. You may be able to put together something that strikes your fancy. Look forward to meeting you.
Sturgus

electricbear

« Reply #50 on: 8 Nov 2007, 02:40 pm »
Hi Josh, welcome to the mutation zone. We'll have you on the path to sonic perfection before you know it.

Scott F.

« Reply #51 on: 9 Nov 2007, 12:54 am »
Welcome aboard Josh  :thumb:

Since you are just getting serious about a rig, be sure listen to as many members systems as possible. We've got loads of variety you can listen to. After you take most of them in, then you can shoot for the sound that turns you on the most. Big thing is, don't get over anxious. If you do, it will cost you in the long run.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #52 on: 9 Nov 2007, 07:02 pm »
Hey Josh, Welcome Sir!  :wave:
Are you a 2 channel or home theater guy, or both?
Heed these words, they are very true:

Big thing is, don't get over anxious. If you do, it will cost you in the long run.

Bob

Sonic Nirvana

« Reply #53 on: 11 Nov 2007, 08:45 pm »
Just want to say thank you for the warm welcome. To clarify, I am interested in 2 channel. My goal is to put together a dedicated audio system for music-listening only. I will try my best to take things slow and to get a lot of listening in before purchasing, but you all know how difficult that can be.

dwarfed centipede

« Reply #54 on: 28 Jul 2008, 08:12 pm »
Hello GAS!  I had a conversation with electricbear and he referred me to this group for more local audiophiles.  I would be very interested to come listen to some nice homebuilt systems and chat about audio configurations.  I live in west county currently, and I have been doing car stereo since I turned 16 and got my first car.  Now I am 23 and have been designing and building home stereo with the help of winISD and bassbox pro softwares.  My dream job when I was looking at colleges was to design stereo components, but I ended up going to UMR and graduated with an electical engineering degree last december.  I guess I'll have to settle with making it my hobby.  I'll be posting up some interesting questions on here about some ideas I have for my new car and home stereo configurations.  Hope you all are ready for some tough questions.  :icon_lol:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #55 on: 28 Jul 2008, 08:25 pm »
Welcome to the GAS Gang.  You'll certainly have the chance to listen to a VERY wide variety of systems from this group.  We have a few other DIY'ers also in the crowd.

Where out West do you live?  I'm in Wildwood.

Bryan

electricbear

« Reply #56 on: 28 Jul 2008, 09:52 pm »
Glad you found your way here. You're going to have some fun.

Scott F.

« Reply #57 on: 28 Jul 2008, 10:28 pm »
Welcome aboard  :thumb:

Like Bryan said, you'll have plenty of different types of systems to listen to. You need to make it out to as many members homes as you can so you can start forming your own opinions on what type of sound you like the best. Speaking for many of us, just drop us a PM and I'm sure each of us would be happy to have you over to give our systems a listen. In September I should be hosting the annual GAS blowout so watch these pages  :green:

Remember, there is no 'perfect' reproduction in audio regardless of how something measures. The only audio-absolute is how you prefer to have your music served up. Once you get a feel for solid state, digital, analog and tubes, then you can start building your system around what turns you on the most. Don't be in too big of a hurry either. It will cost you loads of money if you become impulsive (been there, done that).

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #58 on: 28 Jul 2008, 11:27 pm »
It will cost you loads of money if you become impulsive (been there, done that).

You're done????  :scratch: :lol:

Bryan

dwarfed centipede

« Reply #59 on: 29 Jul 2008, 01:12 pm »
I live right near westport plaza, but Im looking at houses now so I won't be in this same place next year.  My biggest thing in audio is getting the bass as punchy as possible.  I been messing around with isobaric systems and I am going to try a regular push/pull system whenever I have time.