Welcome to GAS

DeadFish

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:07 am »
Hey Mark, that's a sweet looking amp.
Hope I get a chance to listen to it sometime.
You like those ei elites in there, eh?  I'm just running the JJ's that came with mine, though I've juggled some of the 12ax and 12au tubes I have around here into it.  I've got to get serious about dousing my hum before I get more serious about the sound, I guess.
I've got an SCA-35 I had intended to update or 'donor out' to make a new one, and you give me a little inspiration.
Now if I could just get off me arse.... too much tonnage there I guess...
Thanks for the link!

DF

mark@marktwain

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:56 am »
Thanks, I'll bring it to the next meet so you guys can give it a listen. I started with the jj's and then I discovered that the sca-35 doner I bought off ebay to rob the iron from had a quad of well used ge grey oval plates in it, BONUS! I tried them for a while and liked them better than the jj's. I think the ei's are pretty close to the ge's but I probably like the ge's best. I have another sca-35 I think I'm going to build another one and sell it to fund other projects. I hear ya, I have more irons in the fire than I can shake a stick at.
Mark

steve k

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2005, 04:25 am »
Welcome aboard, Mark! Nice work. You're gonna fit in just fine with this group. We have some really talented DIY'rs. Deadfish and I keep each other company while these guys go off into tube design neverland.  :lol:

I just bought a Dynaco FM-3 tube tuner. I'm looking forward to the sound of tube radio. It's about time for another get together. Hopefully we can meet you at the next one.

steve k.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Great to find this group.
« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2005, 02:50 pm »
I just stumbled across this forum and found this group quite by accident.  I just thought I'd introduce myself and give you a little background.  I used to be a hard-core 2 channel guy (AR SP6C, Acoustat Monitors, SOTA table, etc.) but have moved to a combo HT/music room/system.

System:
Dynaudio Contour 3.3
Dynaudio Center
Alon Centris Surrounds
ServoDrive ContraBass Sub driven by Crown MT1200 via Symmetrix Parametric EQ
Sunfire Cinema Grand Amp
Parasound 1201 Mono's for the surrounds
Theta Casanova Pre/Pro
Modded Panny RP53 w/SDI out
Key Digital HD LEEZA scaler
NEC XG135 PJ
Stewart 92" 1.85 screen

I work for a computer company in my 'real' job and run a small internet business on the side doing room design/analysis and selling acoustic treatments.

FYI, there's going to be a meet of folks from the AVS site on June 18th(www.avsforum.com/avs-vb).  Go to the home theater meets section and check out the thread.  Mark Seaton formerly of ServoDrive and now of Seaton Sound (and partnered with Tom Danley of Danley Audio) will be there with his equipment giving a seminar on how to set up a room acoustically.  Also, some of our regulars will be there including John Kotches.

I'd love to get added to the list for the get-togethers.

Bryan Pape

Scott F.

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #24 on: 25 May 2005, 11:13 pm »
Hiya Bryan,

Welcome aboard  :D

One thing is for sure, you've got us all beat when it comes to the HT thing. Unfortunately I've got a retirement party that have to go to on the 18th otherwise I'd love to go and hang out with the AV guys.

One of these days I'll finish my HT. Right now it's pretty putrid. Well, I shouldn't say that, it's really my TV that is the problem. The rest of it is OKish. But hey, I'm a two channel guy so what do you expect  :mrgreen:

When I finally get serious about HT, something tells me its probably going to involve lots and lots of tubes :lol:

sturgus

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2005, 01:48 pm »
Byran,
Welcome to the GAS. We are just a bunch of junkies who just can't find a cure. :mrgreen:  I am quite sure you can relate to that.  Hope you can make it to one of our sessions. If I can I will try and make the AV event on the 18th.  
Sturgus

DeadFish

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2005, 02:41 pm »
Greetings, Bryan!

I echo the other fellas' sentiments, though personally, I'm not looking for a cure, but better 'fixes'.  :D
Would like to make your meeting, if possible, tho it looks like you got a houseful comin'...
Will have to see.
(yah, JUST what I need, to get FURTHER caught up with A/V!!
I just got the wife used to NOT having a tv where the hifi was after 2 years.)
Thanks for the invite, and hope to see you soon, either there, or elsewhere!

Regards,
DeadFish

bpape

• Industry Participant
Welcome to GAS
« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2005, 06:32 pm »
Honestly, I'm still a 2 channel junkie at heart.  I get all kinds of flack from the other guys who do room acoustics because I do rooms to balance things out.  I want a room to do stereo well and HT well.  Now, if that means I only get the 90% solution for both, fine with me.  Better than being perfect for one and too dead for the other.  I still listen to way too much 2 channel to treat it like a dedicated HT.  

I'll try to put something together at my place in the next couple months. The one on the 18th is at someone elses who I know.

SQMDX

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2005, 12:28 am »
Hi All,

Just found the forum and have been checking it out. Great to see a gateway group. I have to admit I am still a two channel guy, but I love to see and hear a great theater as well. I am in sales for one of the other St. Louis area shops I didn't see mentioned here..... :) Hopefully we can change that.

Rob

Scott F.

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2005, 01:12 am »
Hi Rob,

Welcome aboard!

Bryan is the HT guru amongst us. There are a couple of us that have feable HT's but you'll find that everybody else are two channel guys too. The majority of us are hardcore tube guys. There are a couple of solid state holdouts ...... but we're still working on them  :mrgreen:

So which store do you work at? The Screening Room?

edit - I just saw your email address at The Sound Room.....duh

anyway Welcome Aboard! (again)

steve k

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #30 on: 23 Jun 2005, 03:02 am »
Welcome Rob,
Good to have another inmate in our asylum! As Scott said, we have quite a few members from the dark side but we don't let that get to be a problem. Half the time, I don't understand what they're talking about anyway! I trust my ears.  :lol:
steve k

ebkesq

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #31 on: 11 Sep 2005, 01:48 am »
Hi everyone,

Tim recommended I join this this little group so here I go!  I began my interest in hi-fi almost 20 years ago when I purchased my Denon DP-23F turntable from Best Sound.  I have steadily upgraded my system over these twenty years, switching from transistors to tubes and to more tubes, but I still have the Denon!

I have no real interest in home theater--two channels and a sub does most movies justice for me.

In the past two years I have swapped out most of my equipment for stuff that I am a lot happier with:  NAD CD player for a Philips SACD player and Musical Fidelity DAC, NHT speakers for Triangles, Jolida amp for Conrad-Johnson, etc.

I listen to the Beatles, the Stones, Steely Dan, and I am starting to listen to a lot of classical and baroque.  I still can't get into jazz though . . .

Anyway, that's about all the info I can think of by way of an introduction.  Thanks!  Eric

DeadFish

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #32 on: 11 Sep 2005, 02:00 am »
Howdy Eric!
Welcome to our neck of A/C!  
Sounds from your interests that you will have plenty to interest you when folks get together, and in general from the info shared amoungst us.
NO RULES in terms of what kind of gear you like as some of us even like those cheap little Sonic Impact amps.  If you like it good for you, and if you can convince some of us that it sounds good, good for us!
The more (opinions) the merrier! (if hairier!) :wink:
Glad to have you chime in.
What part of the 'greater St.L. area do you hail from?  
I'm from the eastside of the river myself, but that don't stop me from selling a pint or two of blood to fund a trek to the westside for a listen, now and then... :)
Welcome!
Regards,
DeadFish

sturgus

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #33 on: 11 Sep 2005, 02:59 am »
Eric, welcome to the club. It looks like you will fit right in, but we will have to work on that jazz thing a bit  :lol:. You will find that all of the guys are very helpful and friendly. The neat thing is, among the group you will find all sorts of stuff. We have tubes, solid state, and even a few digital amps. All manner of speakers are to be found and all music is welcome. Hope that you will be able to attend some of the meetings. Always glad to have found another  music lover to enjoy this addiction with. If you would like to get together and do some listening let me know. My place is always open for a session.
Sturgus

ebkesq

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #34 on: 11 Sep 2005, 03:42 am »
Thanks for the kind welcome!  Of course I am open to jazz--I just haven't been bitten by the bug.  I do own some jazz--brubeck, miles davis, coltrane, herbie hancock, pretty basic stuff that's probably in everyone's collection.  I'll be on the lookout for gatherings, etc.  Thanks again, Eric

steve k

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #35 on: 11 Sep 2005, 01:50 pm »
Welcome Eric! It's always good to have new faces in the gang. Our group is getting so big that it's been difficult to fit everyone in at our get togethers so we're tending to have smaller group sessions. Ditto what Sturg said, my place is always open for a liston. I have some SACD's as well although I've been haunting the Goodwill stores for vinyl of late.  :o

I have a bit of a freakish setup right now as I'm storing a fellow Gasser's system for him and I have a double Magnepan speaker setup that is way over the top. I'm biamping my setup with tubes and running the other system with really nice SS gear. I've created a monster!  :mrgreen:

Anyway you're welcome to a listen. Been meaning to have a few of you guys over, we've just been really busy with school starting and my girls' birthday parties etc.

Anyway, welcome to the asylum! Oh and rest assured, we have plenty of jazzers to share some good tunes with you.  :lol:

steve k

lofreek

Re: Welcome to GAS
« Reply #36 on: 27 Aug 2007, 06:45 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am a St. Louis based musician / composer / recording / mastering / audiophile / computer geek / music lover, and I would like to get involved! My curiosity and passion for music has no limits, and I really enjoy sharing my knowledge and enthusiasm.

As a kid, I used to visit my sister who at the time lived in Ballwin, a short walk to Flip's Stereo where I loitered excessively. Flip and Thom were absolutely the coolest. After graduating high school, I went to Miami where I earned a degree in Jazz from the University of Miami. I played bass on tons of sessions at the studio on campus. I used to hang out at Sound Components, where they had the Levinson HQD system. I was in a band with a drummer whose father had the Fulton J system with Levinson components. After college, I moved to LA, hoping to get an audition with Frank Zappa. That never happened. I got a job at Ametron Electronics in Hollywood, and my clients included people like Skunk Baxter and Bobby Colomby. I would loiter at Jonas Miller Sound, and attended a couple of Stereophile shows. I also held engineering jobs at various studios in LA. I've heard a lot of high end systems. Upon achieving LA burnout, I moved back to St. Louis where I was hired by Flip to work at the Crestwood Flip's Stereo. Since I returned to St. Louis in 1988 I have been very active in the music scene. One of the projects I am most proud of is this CD;

http://cdbaby.com/cd/downtownquartet

I played bass, as well as mixing and mastering.

I also recorded the Gateway City Big Band "Live At The Casa Loma Ballroom".

For the last 10 years I have been in a very successful local band called Groovethang, famous for our amazing Steely Dan and Earth, Wind, and Fire tribute concerts. Check out our site:

www.groovethang.net

I am always tweaking and improving my system, and I have an insatiable lust for vinyl and high rez digital. I am in the process of getting a zoning variance so I can build an addition for a dedicated listening room built from the ground up on the back of my house.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 27 Aug 2007, 06:52 pm »
Welcome.  Sounds like you'll fit right in.  We're quite a mix of diverse talents, backgrounds, jobs, etc. - but we all love music and are all semi-neurotic about our systems.

Bryan

steve k

« Reply #38 on: 27 Aug 2007, 06:53 pm »
Welcome aboard! It's always great to have new faces and a musician to boot! I may have run into you at Flip's Crestwood as I did a lot of my loitering there too listening to Magnepans driven my Levinson towers. Those were the days. Sounds like you may be able to help us with our recording and distribution efforts we've been pursuing as well. Look forward to meeting you.
steve

Scott F.

« Reply #39 on: 27 Aug 2007, 07:24 pm »
Hiya Larry,

Welcome aboard! Be sure to watch this circle for upcoming events. Fall and winter seem to be our most active times regarding listening sessions. Speaking of which....maybe its time for a new post about a mini-gathering  :green: