Welcome to GAS

Scott F.

Welcome to GAS
« on: 1 Mar 2004, 01:22 am »
Welcome to the GAS (Gateway Audio Society).
We are a group of Music and Audio enthusiasts located in and near St Louis Missouri, Gateway to the West. We have a wide variety participants with systems that range from high powered solid state rigs all the way down to fleapowered SET’s and everything in between.

Along with regular get-togethers, many of us hit the local concert venues quite often. St Louis and the surrounding communities have always hosted some great concerts, musicals and plays. Be sure to check in often and look for the local concert posts.

All of the “Official” gatherings will get posted as an Announcement so that everybody where, when and what’s going on (gear or music-wise).

Since this is a very public forum (and following the lead of our neighbors), I’m compiling a contact list for the participants (name, email, phone numbers and such). This list will be circulated offline (for obvious reasons). If you are interested in joining us for any of our events, just drop me a PM and I’ll add your name to the list.

Generally, the get-togethers will rotate venues. We all want to experience each other’s systems. On occasion we may even meet at our local dealers shops for some after hours listening sessions or new product demos.

Since I write reviews for Enjoy The Music, I’ve always got something new and different flowing through my music room. You guys are always welcome out at anytime, not just for an “official” gathering. Just give me a buzz, then a few minutes to clean up the crud that gathers, and come on out, it’s an open invite for all.

If you just found us, drop me a line or make a post here at GAS.
All are welcome.

vpolineni

Re: Welcome to GAS
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2004, 06:04 am »
Quote from: Scott F.
 On occasion we may even meet at our local dealers shops for some after hours listening sessions or new product demos.

Scott,
  what dealers are you thinking of?  The only two I can think of are music for pleasure off of big bend and best sound off of lindbergh... there's hi-fi-fo-fum as well but i've never liked them....

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2004, 07:23 am »
Another circle...full of GAS guys....which way is the wind blowing :lol: . Just kidding....Good Luck with your circle....looking forward to your reports.....have fun !!!  :dance:

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2004, 01:21 pm »
Quote from: vpolineni
 On occasion we may even meet at our local dealers shops for some after hours listening sessions or new product demos.

Scott,
  what dealers are you thinking of?  The only two I can think of are music for pleasure off of big bend and best sound off of lindbergh... there's hi-fi-fo-fum as well but i've never liked them....

Tim at Best Sound is interested in joining. I'll drop by and let him know we got this going. I still need to go see Erik and Duane at MPF.

The other places that we'll try and hit are John out at Musical Concepts, Mike Pranka with Toffco (he's the US importer for Rega, Dynavector and a few other things). I'll try to get ahold of Kieth Herron (of Herron Audio),  Wilson Shen (Clayton Audio) and I think Sam Kennard (Vibrapod) has an appointment only shop off Hanley somewhere. I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody.

vpolineni

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:55 pm »
I forgot about those guys.. that's great.  If you can, try and get the designer of clayton audio as well.

steve k

local dealers
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2004, 03:54 pm »
How about the disc doctor? and there is Thom Pallazzolla.
steve

Scott F.

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2004, 04:45 pm »
Quote from: vpolineni
I forgot about those guys.. that's great.  If you can, try and get the designer of clayton audio as well.

I had Clayton Audio listed as Wilson Audio. Ooops :oops:  
I fixed the post.

Your right Steve, can't forget Thom P. and Duane (the Disc Doc). Thom will probably bring some of his custom designs to our gatherings, that or do something at Za's place. I'll get ahold of Duane and see if he wants to join in too.

steve k

No Wilson Audio??
« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2004, 05:03 pm »
What?? I was hoping to hear the new Watt-Puppies.  :cry:
steve k

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Welcome to GAS
« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2004, 02:44 pm »
Scott,
  Your avatar surprises me. I thought for sure it would be your trademark picture. Wish I was in your nexk of the woods, I would love to be part of the GAS Gang. Anything you guys need or want to audition/review, let me know. If I have it, and can do without for a bit, I will send it down for one of your sessions.

bgrazman

howdy all, just moved to stl
« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2004, 07:40 pm »
Hello all,

I just moved to St. Louis and while I was surprised to find so few dealers locally, I'm delighted to find out about this group.

Please put me on whatever informal email lists you keep.... and (commercial plug here--->) notice that I am selling a pair of Dunlavy SC-3's that are just too big for my little listening room.

Look forward to hearing from & meeting you,

bgrazman@yahoo.com

steve k

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2004, 11:18 pm »
Welcome aboard! It's always good to have new members. Yeah, it's a pretty bleak scene here for retail high end audio. I was just up in Chicago with a fellow GASser this weekend to pick up some used equipment and got a taste of some of their high end stores. What a difference!

I think you'll be surprised at the diversity of people and equipment in our group. If nothing else just sharing the insanity of our hobby and getting turned on to new people and new music is a charge in itself.

Looking forward to meeting you. :)
steve k

sturgus

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2004, 03:01 am »
I also would like to welcome you. As Steve said we have a great mix of equipment among us. St. Louis is almost dead when it comes to dealers.
Only 2 good stores in the area. Tim who is a GAS member, is a the manger of one (Best Sound). The funny part is that we have more manufactures of highend goods than stores that sell them.  I look forward to meeting you at the next session.
Sturgus

DeadFish

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #12 on: 5 Oct 2004, 05:44 am »
Run!
Run Now!

Oops, too late.
You've been exposed...
 :D
Welcome aboard! All kidding aside, you never know where your interests might grow playing around with this group.

(just watch out if you don't use tube gear.....yet.)
 :wink:
Looking forward to meeting and hearing what *you* like to listen to as well.

Regards,
DeadFish

electricbear

bgrazman, welcome
« Reply #13 on: 5 Oct 2004, 09:22 pm »
welcome to St Louis and of course the GAS. You timed it well just as our favourite team The Cardinals are on a high. You'll find most of us are a pretty inoffensive bunch, we share a passion for audio and in most cases also enjoy some of the finer alcoholic beverages out there. If you ever find yourself in the area of Best Sound pop in by and introduce yourself. Ask for Tim :)

Eastside235

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #14 on: 3 Nov 2004, 08:42 pm »
Hello everyone!  Tim at Best Sound turned me on to this site.  I'm a budding St. Louis audiophile (always have been an audiophile but have recently been making enough money to aquire nice things).

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do here...

DeadFish

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2004, 09:11 pm »
Welcome to you too, Eastside!
It's always good to have more playmates!
What a great time to join us with GAS!
Since we are about 3 'newguy's deep now, you have time to save before you 'host' and provide all the typical high-end refreshments that we have become accustomed to. (since starting this rule)
I'll let Scott fill you in on the details, so you can start arranging the 2nd mortgage soon.
All seriousness aside,  :wink:
Welcome aboard!

Regards,
DeadFish

Scott F.

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #16 on: 26 Dec 2004, 06:04 am »
Hiya Zako, Guys,

I decided to split the post off and posted it here
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=15508.msg134817#134817&sid=687f1224b7987c68c9f66e41a6ece5a1

Since we started to get way off topic from the original 'Welcome To GAS' thing, I thought it would be best under a new topic header "Big Systems and Even Bigger Horns". No deletes, edits or anything like that, just a quick split into a new topic.

mark@marktwain

Hi, Can I be included in your ring?
« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2005, 07:34 pm »
Hey guys, I just found this site with help from the asylum. Awesome!! just what I was looking for. Can I be included in your ring? I'm not in St. Louis. I'm in Maywood which is about 20 miles north of Hannibal, not too much of a drive. I'm into home theater, diy and I'm just getting into tubes having built the AES K-502 and the diytube el84 st-35. I'm in the process of building a pair of Fostex fe166e back loaded horns now. I haven't had time to read all the posts here yet so whens your next meet?
Mark

DeadFish

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:38 pm »
Hey Mark!
Welcome in!
Saw your post over at the Asylum, and the more the merrier for this well-spread group.
How are you liking your DIYTube ST-35?  
I've been listning to one I bought used about 6 months ago, and except for the hum that developed when my dog helped it drop 5 feet, I've been real happy with its 'sound' and pep running through my Altecs.
Did you build it out of all new parts or salvage some old Dynaco stuff?
If you are getting into tubes, this is a good group for it, as they even turned *my* head away from my beloved Bryston gear. (gasp!)
Do you get down St. Louis way very often?  
I don't know of any proposed meets offhand, but that doens't mean that someone else doesn't have an idea up their sleeve.
I'm sure others will chime in, but wanted to welcome you and hope to see you soon at a get together.

Best regards,
DeadFish

mark@marktwain

Welcome to GAS
« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2005, 09:48 pm »
Hi, thanks!

I love the st-35. It sounds soooooo good and it's dead quiet. I cant wait to get my fostex horns built, although it sounds pretty darn good on my JBL J325A's. Here's a link to the details and some pics.
http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=544
It's all new components except for the iron, their from a 1968 Dynaco sca-35 and have the cloth leads. The gold point stepped attenuators are used also, an ebay score. I just installed a quad of el84 ei elites and it's really singing. St. Louis is a nice drive about 100 miles, I usually get down there 3 or 4 times a year . I saw Rush at riverport last summer, my bud and his bro got to meet Ged and Alex at the meet n greet. I bet I'll be making the trip down a lot more often now. I'm lookin foward to meeting everone in the near future.

Mark