St. Louis places to visit (and eat)

briandoane

Re: OT: St. Louis places to visit
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jul 2010, 02:18 am »
Check out Crown Candy on 14th, about 100 years of history and one great malt!

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #21 on: 16 Oct 2011, 10:26 am »
Saint Louis has a very active 'old cars' club.  Today they have this.

The Orphan Car Show at the History Museum in Forest Park Sunday, October 16, 2011
Once again the Missouri History Museum will be hosting the annual Orphan Car Show (10:00am - 3:00pm) featuring only orphan cars such as Hudson, Packard and Studebaker primarily, but other orphan makes are equally welcome. Admission is FREE!

For current events and their calendar check out

http://www.spiritccca.com/

Ken
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 12:26 pm by KenSeger »

garrett1812

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2012, 07:03 pm »
Ruth's Chris is okay, but it has nothing on Porters Steakhouse across the river in Collinsville, check it out. Also a bit pricy, but well worth it.  Get the pepperloin.

I usually go to Broadway Oyster Bar when I am in town, its not far from Busch Stadium.  Also near the stadium is the Three Sixty bar, on top of the Hilton.  Good place to grab a drink first.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #23 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:13 pm »
"Milagro Modern Mexican" in Webster Groves.

Amazing Mexican food. I had what they (horribly) call "The Combo #64".
There are no other combos, so where the name came from I'll never know. But suffice it to say that it's some really fantastic Mexican food at a great price.

http://milagromodernmexican.com/

Just go, you can thank me later.  :wink:
Bob

gooberdude

« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2012, 01:31 am »
Webster Groves has 2 good mex places then. Nacho Mama's is fantastic. 

youravhandyman

« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2012, 07:17 pm »
Hey Beer fans!

St. Louis Microfest is happening May 4th and 5th in Forest Park.  They are having 3 sessions this year.  Friday evening 7-10pm, Saturday afternoon 12-4pm and Saturday night 6-10pm.  Proceeds support Lift For Life Gym.  For more details and tickets check the site http://beer.stlmicrofest.org/

I'm going for sure to one of the evening sessions.  Anyone else interested?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 31 Aug 2014, 11:35 pm »
Dressel's Public House

http://dresselspublichouse.com/

I'm a bit biased in this one. Ben Dressel is a customer of mine. That being said, his restaurant was featured on "Diner's Drive-In's and Dives" a couple years ago. At the time, I had no idea Ben was a restaurant owner, so you can imagine my surprise when Tina and I were watching and I saw a customers on one of my favorite TV shows.  :o

After seeing the show, the next time Ben's wife came into my shop, I mentioned seeing Ben and their place on TV.
Fast-forward a couple years, I've now been to their place three times with my family. I must say that I'm VERY impressed. We don't go out to eat very often, and the "Central West End" is certainly not on our radar for places to patronize.

The slinger is amazing. Served in a cast iron bowl. Oh yea.

Bob
p.s.....Here's a couple links:

- http://www.flavortownusa.com/locations/556/dressels-public-house

- http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/mo/st-louis/dressels-public-house-restaurant.html

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
St. Louis places to visit (eat)
« Reply #27 on: 3 May 2015, 10:07 pm »
"Bump"

Was blown away at a restaurant this morning, and wanted to share the news.

The place is called "Rooster"... <-----(click that)  :thumb:
They have indoor and outdoor seating. We went at 9:30am on a Sunday and sat outside. 30 minutes later, there was a line.
The place is large and airy, both inside but especially the outside areas. The personnel are wonderful. The prices are reasonable.
The wife and I both had a brunch "Slinger" which was amazing. More accurately, was AAMMMMAAZZZIINNGGG.
The place is full of 20 something and 30 something hipsters, whose native territory is the Central West End.
Those of you that know me, know that this is NOT my territory. Not even by a long shot.
But I'll tell ya what, I'll be going back to this place as soon as I can.

daves

Re: St. Louis places to visit (and eat)
« Reply #28 on: 13 May 2015, 12:10 am »
Bob, I'm glad you liked Rooster, because the wife, Liam and I thought the food was hideous. Her salade nicoise had a sweet vinagerette that was inappropriate, the andouille in my slinger was closer to kelbassa, the pepper sausage gravy was blase, and Liam didn't even like his pancakes. Maybe a bad day for the kitchen, but I would call it a disaster for as good as the venue was.

Another place to avoid is Joe Edwards' new Peacock diner on Delmar. Bad college food for midnight drunks is the term we seven came up with.

An ethusiastic thumbs up for LuLu's, the vegan place on south Grand, Excellent tastes, delightfully fresh, and cheap for the great quality!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 13 May 2015, 12:16 am »
Wow, powerful words!  :o
But yea, either you had an "off" (bad) meal, or we had an "off" (great) meal. The only way to know would be for one of us to go again.
But I guess that'd be us.  :lol:

gjo1314

« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2015, 04:01 am »
My son studied at Wash U and I used to visit STL from India, while he was studying there. The Hill has some superb Italian family owned restaurants, and one dinner at Favazza's still lingers in my memory.

daves

« Reply #31 on: 14 May 2015, 07:51 pm »
Yea, Rooster made it on to the list of ours you don't want to be on. It is a shame because it has the almost severe NYC setting that presages some good eats coming out of the kitchen...but they avoided our table!

Another great place if you like seafood is Peacemaker, in the 1800 block of Sidney down in Benton Park. They are a spinoff of Sidney Street Cafe, and very adeptly have created a good and simple seafood bistro. Their clam chowder is the best I have ever had, good liquor selections, crabcakes and lobster were fresh and tasty. As expected for a fresh fish concern in St. Louis, they were a little more expensive, but their quality, good service, and setting made it worth it.

daves

« Reply #32 on: 5 Jul 2016, 06:56 pm »
For those who love fried chicken, there are some new eats in town.
Byrd & Barrel, on Jefferson at Cherokee, has by far the best fried cluck in town. Just a superb buttermilk bath, then a run through the spicy rub, and a dip in the fryer. Chicken heaven.
Gus's in Maplewood, on Manchester, is a solid second, although it is quite hot.
Southern, near slu on Olive, is good, but their mild crust is burning hot, and anything else is inedible. Their sides are also quite good.
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2016, 10:55 pm by daves »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 5 Jul 2016, 08:20 pm »
Speaking of chicken, Waynes daughter (BOLDER Cables) took me to a chicken place downtown on Olive Street that had some great chicken.
The name of the place is simply called, "Southern".
Mmmm good stuff.

mitch stl

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jul 2016, 03:05 am »
Interesting discussion. I just live a few blocks from Rooster. I like it, but have not been blown away -- while my meals there have been good, I think their opinion of themselves is slightly higher than my opinion of their food. Peacemakers is kind of the same thing; I've eaten there a couple of times and have yet to experience any magic.

There is a new Turkish restaurant at Grand & Humprhey. It is called "Sheesh". I've only eaten their once so far, but it was pretty good. Another I like is in the Lafayette Park neighborhood, on Park. Square One is a brew pub and their menu is a bit more creative than normal pub food -- lamb sloppy joes, an excellent spinach, chicken & cashew salad with a tasty Mayfair dressing, a tasty bratwurst burger, and others. Can't say anything about their beer as I don't drink.

daves

« Reply #35 on: 6 Jul 2016, 05:26 pm »
Sheesh is quite good, with tasty soups, and the rice dishes are well prepared. The ladies will love the hammered copper plates and bowls.

jibzilla

« Reply #36 on: 3 Aug 2016, 05:18 am »
Just wanted to give a shout out to my friends who own Vernon's bbq in the loop and Diva deserts in Columbia, IL.

bside123

« Reply #37 on: 27 Mar 2017, 01:22 am »
I stopped in Belleville, IL on the way back to Carbondale. Had a delicious lunch at this place: http://www.beastcraftbbq.com

I have to say, it might have been the best restaurant BBQ that I have ever tasted. Surpassed my many tries in Texas.
They have a enormous selection of hand-picked meats, including the standard pork, but also brisket, turkey, chicken and lamb shank.
They try to stay natural and local, and their sauces are spectacular. Their fries are fresh cut.

Any of your Gassers every heard of Beast Craft BBQ!? They're about 2 years old. It's worth the drive from the St. Louis Metro area. I know
that I'll be back, even though it's 1 ½ hours from Carbondale.  :drool:

Blackmore

« Reply #38 on: 27 Mar 2017, 02:14 am »
I was in Belleville a week ago; sure wish I would have known about this place so I could sample some good BBQ.  I'll try it next time I'm in the neighborhood. 

PS.  Hi Din, how's southern Illinois treating you????

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 27 Mar 2017, 02:50 am »
I've been to Beast, and loved it.  :thumb:
The brussel sprouts are amazing. Gotta say, as a carnivore, it takes a lot for me to give kudos to a place on their veggies.
That being said, I thought the meat (I got the "all encompassing platter") was very good. The waiter, passing by, actually corrected me on the way I was drinking my beer, and offered a better way. It's a small town place with a passion for BBQ/Smoking meat, that's for sure.

On a side note, my wife wasn't impressed. She said mine is just as good, and she didn't have to drive as far.
Take that for what's it's worth.  :wink: